View Single Post
Old 03-17-05, 12:58 PM
a2psyklnut

Bikes: Lots

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I ride both, however, I consider myself a mountain biker first and a roadie....last!

I've noticed the different attitudes, so have many of my friends. When I ride the road, other riders barely acknowledge your existence. You might get a quick wave. If they come up behind you, they're trying to blow past you to embarrass you. I you pass them, they jump out of the saddle and grab your wheel. It's a HUGE ego trip.

I love blazing up on my CX (cyclocross) bike to a group, catch them, pull for a bit, then motion I'm turning off and hit a dirt path while they look and wonder what just happened.

When I got mountain biking, I pull up to the parking area, everyone is hanging out talking, chilling, riding other peoples bikes. As I unload, several people ride by, say "hello" and stuff like, "Nice bike"...etc. It's a much more relaxed casual atmosphere. When I see people off the trail with a flat or other repair there are usually 2 or 3 people offering to help.

I don't think riding one form or another makes you that specific type, I think the type of person you are, will dictate what type or riding you prefer.

Don't get me started with Triathletes (or TRY athletes) as I like to call them.

They are the most crybaby, winey, arrogant cyclists that exist.

Of course not all roadies and Tryathletes are jerks, but as a whole, YES THEY ARE!
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming, "WOW, What a Ride!" - unknown
"Your Bike Sucks" - Sky Yaeger