View Single Post
Old 03-17-05, 01:59 PM
Grasschopper
He drop me

Bikes: '03 Marin Mill Valley, '02 Eddy Merckx Corsa 0.1, '12 Giant Defy Advance, '20 Giant Revolt 1, '20 Giant Defy Advanced Pro 1, some random 6KU fixie

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 138 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 9 Posts
Originally Posted by ghettocruiser
Roadies try to pass and drop you because what roadies do. I'm a roadie oftentimes. What else are we going to do? Huck a loading dock? Ride a skinny in the woods? If your going my speed I'll chat sometimes, but road bikes' only real purpose is to go far, fast. And that’s what we do, sometimes to the exclusion of more sociable activities.

As for wanting things perfect, road bikes are just less fault-tolerant than freeride rigs. If something screws up, we are far from home in shoes we cant walk in. If something is out of whack with riding position we get to try to bend our spinal cord in unpleasant directions for four hours to finish the ride. If something breaks, we hot the pavement at 25 miles and hour. Not to mention that we have cars taking a run at us every thirty seconds. Man, it’s a wonder sometimes we are as nice as we are...
But hey, if you wave, I will wave back. Then I will probably try and drop you.
Man there is a HELL of a lot of truth in these words.

I am a roadie first now but it used to be the other way around. To the comment about getting a flat on the trail I must say that right after I got back into road riding I got a flat out in the middle of no where. When I was out on this ride I had been blown away by 2 racer types (at different times) that didn't say a word other than on your left as they flew by but BOTH of these guys stopped (again at different times , and on their return loop) to make sure I was ok and had everything I needed to fix the flat.

A lot of roadies come off as a-holes but deep down we aren't all THAT bad. I know I would help anyone in need be it on the road or on the trail and I even wave.