SteelCan

Bikes: LeMond Reno

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
TDF 2010 course is announced - Trickier w/even more climbs

http://www.nytimes.com/reuters/2009/...ling-tour.html

PARIS (Reuters) - Alberto Contador will have to contend with treacherous cobblestones and blustery North Sea winds before sinking his teeth into next year's Tour de France mountain stages after the route was unveiled on Wednesday.

But the Spaniard, Tour champion in 2007 and 2009 and arguably the best climber in the world, can look forward to stretching his rivals in the Pyrenees, which will be the highlight of cycling's showcase event in 2010.

Four stages, including a grueling 16th stage with four daunting climbs, will be held in the mountains that form the border between France and Spain.

One hundred years after first featuring on the Tour map, the Pyrenees could be the scene of a classic battle between Contador and seven times champion Lance Armstrong. ... Full article at link above.

---
Comment. Anyone really expect Lance to be Contador's closest rival next year?
I think Schleck should have been mentioned as Contador's closest rival with Bradley Wiggins in the mix. (that guy transformed himself and if not for the injuries to team members would have been even more dangerous)
BTW, article doesn't mention it, but after all the stage wins by Cavendish, I wonder if they will give BONUS time for stage wins. (I think it would be a good idea. It will add another wrinkle into how teams manage the race)