meaculpa
meaculpa

Bikes: 07 Bianchi Volpe

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The GAP in mid October

Hi folks. I am doing some riding next week around Gettysburg, PA. Then, on Wednesday morning, I plan to do a solo ride of the Greater Allegheny Passage from Cumberland, MD to my apartment in Pittsburgh. This is a last minute plan of sorts so I am scrambling to get prepared.

Since I expect to only cover 70 miles/day, it might take as long as 3 days (with meals & such). With very little camping equipment or experience, I figured I might just grab a motel both nights.

So far so good but I am wondering also about tires (I am obsessing on this lately but thats another matter). Other postings have said 28-32s are okay, I currently run a 32 up front & a 28 on the rear. And I only have panniers so all the weight will be on back wheel.

Another matter is weather & the path: does this trail demand aggressive tread especially now that there's been a lot of rain? And what about the surface? I don't want to stop too often to fix flats.
I have good fenders so rain & spray is less of a concern.

And cell phone coverage? I have a verizon phone so I assume I'll be okay.

Anyway, lots of questions but I am almost out of time as I'm leaving Sunday morning. Any feedback is appreciated.