View Single Post
Old 10-19-09, 09:33 PM
roadbiker101

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
newbie in dire need of help

Hey guys, this is my very first time on these forums. I just started getting in to road biking (I currently have a really old one) and I plan on purchasing a new one very soon. However, I have a few questions.

What are some bikes you guys recommend that I can get for under $300?
Also, the fastest I've gone on my current road bike is about 45mph, yet the bike is a bit heavy. I'm highly aware that there are super light bikes out there, and I wanted to buy one, but I'm not too sure if light bikes can stay as fast as the heavier bikes at higher speeds. It just seems as if a heavier bike would go faster than a lighter bike, is that true?

It's like rolling a tennis ball and baseball as hard and far as you can. The baseball would definitely roll further. Is this true with bikes (sorry for the stupid analogy, I didn't know other ways to explain it)? I'm guessing lighter bikes are slower because it's so light that the wind would have a huge effect on you as you ride fast compared to a heavier bike. If you guys could help me out, that would be awesome! Thanks sooo much!