Old 10-20-09, 08:22 AM
Chris_W
Likes to Ride Far

Bikes: road+, gravel, commuter/tourer, tandem, e-cargo, folder

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 11 Posts
Where to put a gear indicator when using 6700 or 7900 brifters?

I've just ordered a 6700 brifter. I'm now realizing that due to the cable routing going under the bar tape, I won't be able to put my gear indicator in the usual position (just inside the brifter, after the shift cable exits the lever on my older STI levers). Therefore, I'm wondering what other people have done to solve this. Have you found a good place to put the gear indicator on drop bars? Getting a flight deck computer doesn't seem like an ideal solution to me for several reasons. If you don't know what a road gear indicator is, then here's a pic:

I'm using Nokon cable housing, so weird routing isn't a huge problem, within reason. I could put the indicator near the down-tube cable stop (easiest for cable routing, but harder to see), I could try to put it running along the bars outside the bar tape (but that would probably interfere with one or two hand positions), or maybe near the stem (but cable routing would then be long and complex). I often have clip-on aerobars installed, so this takes away probably the most convenient spot, which would be after the cable exits the bar tape.

There is no need for everyone to debate whether or not I should use a gear indicator (I've read all of the arguments against it before, thanks). I'm always going to use one on all of my bikes, no matter what people say. One of my bikes is a tandem, where looking back at the cassette is not even possible, and asking the stoker to look for me is not better than having a 5 gram gear indicator to look at myself; figuring it out based on my speed and cadence is also not possible because the gearing on my 4 bikes are each very different - road, cyclocross, tandem, commuter/tourer. I like to avoid cross-chaining and I like to know how many more gears I have left on the current chainring so that I can decide whether to make my next shift on the front or the rear. So, I need a gear indicator, the only decision is WHERE to put it, not whether to have it.

I asked this question at the end of a related thread in the Road Cycling subforum, but as is typical for that forum, most people weren't interested in giving useful answers. I'm hoping the mechanics are more helpful.

Last edited by Chris_W; 10-20-09 at 08:25 AM.