Old 10-23-09, 02:59 PM
Digital_Cowboy

Bikes: Specialized Hardrock Mountain (Stolen); Giant Seek 2 (Stolen); Diamondback Ascent mid 1980 - 1997

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by cyccommute
Batteries.

Since you’ll want to run the lamp at 14.4 V to get the best light output, you’ll need to wire the RC car batteries in series. You’ll need to make a harness to do this that will take the negative pole from one battery pack and connect it to the positive pole of the other battery pack and then make sure that it all connects to the light. This is easier than it sounds. I use Dean’s and my connections are complicated and ugly…but they work.

<Snip>

The Anderson power poles are easier to do this and would be my choice if I didn’t have so much invested in the Dean’s.

<Snip>

Just make sure you have a black wire running from one pack to the red wire on the other pack.

I charge my packs as a single 14.4V unit so that I don’t have power imbalances in the packs…and so that I only have to charge 3 packs and not 6 different ones.

Once I get the packs wired up I put them in the Rocket Cage holder and put them in a water bottle cage.

<Snip>

My helmet light is powered by a pack carried in my Camelbak. (No picture)

The final result is this

Over 4500 lumens of raw retinal burning power. People at my work hum the Darth Vader theme when I leave work at night. In nearly 30 years of riding at night these are the brightest lights I've owned or ever seen. I even got high beams flashed at me for the first time ever...by a guy in a 4x4...up a hill from me I have arrived!
Does that light melt the tape on your handlebars? How much heat does that thing generate?