TheOtherGuy
Knows Bigfoot's Momma

Bikes: yeah; got a couple...

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by leunkstar
I have a nice Campagnolo headset which is unfortunately incomplete but i can make one complete set with an extra Tange Levin headset. They fit almost perfect into each other (tange levin: the two pairs of bairings and the lowest part (fork conus/cup?)). Is this a big mistake or worth a try. I also need tips to get the two cups out of the headsettube.

Some say i'll be smarter if i'll let the local bike store place the headset. Is this really so hard to do? (pushing the cups in the tube real straight).
I say go ahead & mix & match if you must... Otherwise, complete, good-used Campagnolo headsets come up daily on eBay.

To remove the lower cup & upper race from the head tube (or fork crown race) without the proper tool, just get a length of brass rod ('bout 1/4"-5/16" daimeter works well) to use as a drift, and gently tap the parts out with that and a hammer. The brass, being much softer than the steel headset parts, won't damage anything. To press the headset parts in place, steel flat washers, 3/8" "allthread" rod, and a couple of nuts can do the job. Then again, your local bike shop probably won't charge much for doing it with the proper tool (it only takes 5 minutes with a headset press). Have fun!