View Single Post
Old 10-26-09, 06:59 AM
beech333
Fuji Fan

Bikes: Was Fuji and got my grails (Pro, Pro SR, Design Series, & Ti). Now I hunt 50's and older road bikes.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 155 Post(s)
Liked 172 Times in 112 Posts
Originally Posted by wahoonc
Hopefully Kurt will weigh in, I don't have all the names and numbers straight.

All Raleigh bikes had model numbers and names.

The Superbe and the Sports are the same frame, the difference being in the "trim" level. The Sports actually came in two levels at varying times, some were known as Sports Standard and then as an LTD. Those used an Endrick pattern rim vs the Westrick, did not have pump pegs and usually did not have a headlight bracket. They were quite often made under license, mine was made in Malaysia. The standard Sports had Westrick rims, vinyl mattress saddle or depending on the year a Brooks B72 and came with an air pump.

The Superbe typically came with a leather saddle, usually a B67, pump, color matched rear rack by Presstube Minor, locking fork and dyno hub with lights. Confused yet? The Superbe model designation was a DL24, the Sports was a DL22. The step through frames seem to have added an "L" to the end of the model number, ie; a step through Superbe would be a DL24L. The model numbers also changed over the years on some models.

My wife has a Raleigh Colt which is a smaller sized version of the Sports. Hers came with a coaster brake hub and is an 18" frame the model designator on that one is a DL58L.

Sheldon Brown has a decent archive of information and some catalogs.

Aaron
Interesting. Thanks for sharing.