View Single Post
Old 10-26-09, 08:02 AM
BearSquirrel

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ItsJustMe

LEDs are more efficient, I think. My HID pumps out a lot more heat than my LED anyway, and more heat = less efficiency. Plus it has a much larger battery and no more runtime.
That depends on the quality of the LED. Some are more efficient than others depending on the "bin" that the manufacturer is willing to splurge for.

HIDs are VERY efficient but they involve tricky electronics to "ignite" the band of plasma that runs through the bulb. If you turn it off, you may have to wait a while before it will turn back on. And of course ... they are not dimmable. And ... if you break a bulb, you're out $100.

LEDs are also very efficient depending on the bin. They do not "break". Manufacturers tend to charge "per lumen" so in many cases they are more expensive than they should be. Think about it, if the emitter of an LED costs half as much along with the simpler electronics, why are HIDs and LEDs comparatively priced? Hence, the homebrew crowd can put together killer LED rigs for a much lower price. The most expensive part is the battery.

The safe bet is to buy the LED. It will never need a replaecement bulb. But look around a little. DO check out Dinotte as their packages tend to put out the best lumen for the buck.