Old 10-27-09, 08:21 AM
jlin
matters cryptozoological

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by mihlbach
When you rotafix the cog, you are able to apply more torque than you would ever be able to with a chainwhip or with your legs through the drive train using a normal gear ratio, so there is no way you are going to unscrew it during normal riding especially if you are careful about it. Nuts-to-stem skidding is fine. Ass-on-seat skidding and skip stopping (the kind where you lift the wheel off the ground and lock your knees) are not advisable, although I was able to do this for years with a rotafixed cog with no loctite and no lockring and never had an issue. At the time I weighed 225. Just don't rely on your DT as you main source for stopping and you'll be fine.
again, i can't stress this enough, this is not safe!

although rotafixing is a very strong way to tighten your cog, it does not preclude the need for some sort of locking mechanism! without one, your cog will come loose gradually while riding!

ideally, this locking mechanism would be a lockring. but, since your hub doesn't have threading for one, you'd at least need to use something like loctite.