View Single Post
Old 10-28-09, 02:59 PM
tjspiel

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 13 Posts
Similar bikes are the Giant OCR series and the Specialized Allez. There's a women's version of the Allez that's called something else, but I can't remember what it is.

Of those bikes I believe the OCR might be the most commuter friendly. It has a little bit more tire clearance and a slightly more relaxed riding position.

My recommendation, especially since you're new to gears, is to stay away from the triple versions of these bikes. Or if you do get a triple, make sure you test the shifting out thoroughly on a test ride before buying it. I'd also make sure that you can reach and shift the brakes easily from both the upper and lower ("drop") position of the handlebars.

I have and like the Allez. I use it both for triathlons and commuting. Commuting can be very helpful in training for triathlons if you're strapped for time BTW. That said it's not the greatest bike for commuting if the roads in your area are really in bad shape or if you have to haul 20 lbs. of books or other stuff on your ride.