View Single Post
Old 10-28-09, 04:40 PM
Oldpeddaller

Bikes: 1970 Holdsworth Mistral, Vitus 979, Colnago Primavera, Corratec Hydracarbon, Massi MegaTeam, 1935 Claud Butler Super Velo, Carrera Virtuoso, Viner, 1953 Claud Butler Silver Jubilee, 1954 Holdsworth Typhoon, 1966 Claud Butler Olympic Road, 1982 Claud

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 10 Posts
Hi Xavier853, Love the look of your bike!

It's your bike, so do what you want with it, but two things to consider before fitting straight bladed forks - and these could be "deal breakers". Firstly, will you have clearance for the front wheel under the down-tube? You could measure this by placing a steel ruler the length of your proposed forks at the correct angle against the top of your current forks. Tape it in place, then remove the wheel and place the spindle behind the ruler at the correct height. If the tyre's not touching the bottom of the down-tube you're OK.

With the wheel in this position, swing the crank forward so it's pointing straight ahead. How much does the pedal overlap the wheel? Will you be able to steer? If you're running fixed-wheel, this could be crucial.

If these are both OK, get building up the strength in your wrists! I speak from experience when I say that the vibration from straight forks can go straight into the handlebars on anything but gloss-smooth tarmac and oh boy! is it painful!

Not trying to be a party-pooper, but if you don't check these things out it could be an expensive and painful mistake. I'd check before placing any orders. Good luck!