View Single Post
Old 03-21-05, 03:55 PM
skydive69

Bikes: Guru Geneo, Specialized Roubaix Pro, Guru chron 'alu, Specialized Sequoia

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by bjlaw
I started taking glucosamine as a supplement for my sore hip. The sore hip comes from running and walking the golf course mostly , not riding. My blood pressure has always been normal and my at rest heart rate is about 50 because of all of the riding that I do. However this year when I went in for my annual physical my blood presure was elevated to 145 over 82.

I heard that glucosamine has been known to increase blood pressure in some people. I stopped taking glucosamine and will check again in about a month. Has anyone else had this problem? I'm 52 and have never had any health concerns due in large part to the bike. At least I truly believe that.
After having very low BP all of my life, typically 110/65 or lower, and often having physicians comment on same during my every six month physicals required as a professional pilot, I suddenly had pressure in the mid 150's over mid 90's. I was around 58 at the time. I have always been trim and very fit, and I tried and tried to control it sans medication, but there was little I could do. I already had little body fat, did considerable aerobic exercise, and ate a healthy diet. Begrudingly, I had to resort to medication to control it.

Good luck, I hope that it is something external that has caused it that can be dealt with. Know, however, that if you need to take medication, that modern medications (at least the ones I am on) seemingly have no side effects - at least any that I have noticed in the few years that I have had this situation.