View Single Post
Old 10-28-09, 05:55 PM
martianone

Bikes: recumbent & upright

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 73 Post(s)
Liked 40 Times in 31 Posts
My partner & I have been riding together for >25 yrs.
About four years ago she wanted a new bike for touring.
It was early fall with various sales going on.
We looked at a number of bikes at several shops, there were not many WSD models around
and none were a touring bike. I thought WSD was more of a marketing gimmick. However
we invested a lot of time changing and swapping parts to get this bike to fit just right. She
has now happily ridden this bike several thousand km.
About a month ago - one day we were out riding and she says "you know I really would like to try
a road bike". A few days later were in our LBS, who happened to have some bikes on sale. In the sales area were two almost identical bikes from the same well known maker- one a regular small [my wife is untall] and one a "WSD" small. She tried both- neither fit well. Other than a pink splash and saddle, I couldn't tell them apart. I know the LBS owner, who could see I was a little puzzled by the bikes similarity. Well I got out a tape and started to measure them. LBS owner said don't bother, they measure the same. He had already checked. She tried a couple more bikes, one was a so called WSD. The fit was just about perfect- geometry, handlebars, shifter, saddle all just fell into place; probably as well as a custom frame would. Well that bike came home with us. She has ridden it a couple hundred km now - each time she goes like the dickens and hops off that bike with a smile on her face. Point of this rambling is to echo what others have suggested - the fit is what counts; but I want to add - watch out for the bike moniker. It may not be what it seems.