View Single Post
Old 03-21-05, 06:01 PM
ZenNMotion

Bikes: 2016 Tom Kellogg steel Spectrum all-road, '89 Eisentraut Rainbow Traut, '81 Marinoni Special, 2018 Ritchey Road Logic, 2006 Ritchey Breakaway Cross, 2009 custom Joe Wells alu Tsunami CX, '71 Favorit (Czech Rep) Special, 2012 Co-Motion Tandem

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
I have an empella with an Alum fork. Nice bike, but only for racing. Too stiff to be comfortable for long rides, and no bottle mounts. But good geometry- steep angles combined with longish chainstays, high bottom bracket. The flat bottomed top tube is great for carrying, really does make it easier. It's also quite light- the fat downtube is stiff, but very thin walled and prone to dents. I have a couple in mine after 4 years of racing it, no big deal, but still... I dont know about the ridley, but it looks pretty much the same. I think it might not have a replaceable derailleur mount like the empella. Check it to see- that would be the dealbreaker for me on that one. My other cross bike is a Columbus EL steel thing from a local builder with a Winwood carbon fork. Nice bike too, but doesnt feel quite as "dialed in" for racing as the Empella. Hard to describe but just not as confident on places like off camber muddy slopes although it seems to climb a little better (shorter chainstays, maybe?). If I could, I'd build a bike using the Empella geometry with some kind of oversize modern steel tubing. I'm just not a fan of Aluminum frames, especially for cyclocross. I got the Empella used and cheap, no complaints but steel is rea... crap I hate that saying. whatever, just a preference. Before you buy, you might want to take a road trip to check out College Park bikes- they have several cross models including a steel Lemond Poprad that is worth checking out.