View Single Post
Old 10-29-09, 02:12 PM
CliftonGK1

Bikes: '08 Surly Cross-Check, 2011 Redline Conquest Pro, 2012 Spesh FSR Comp EVO, 2015 Trek Domane 6.2 disc

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by boazmoss
I suggest that, even if you rebuild that wheel or purchase a stiffer combo of rim and spokes,you may stop breaking spokes, but you will, indefinitely ,need truing maintenance ever so often.
And that is pretty common with folks on the heavier side.
Forget the motorcycle bit,but consider a light ATB frame that comes, by default, with smaller size wheels (26") and larger tires inflation capacity 60psi.
Plus triple chainrings and a 12/32 cassette and if you sacrifice the rockshox and get a regular fork, the whole package becomes quite light.
You won't look back.
To ignore the weight factor is naive.
Not to harp on a thread which is over a year old... but are you kidding? Come on, Captain Overkill; you seriously think that somebody who's only 239 pounds needs to go with a 26" wheel to build up something strong enough?

At 260 pounds I was beating the snot out of a pair of handbuilt 32h DT RR1.1 rims laced 3x with 14g spokes to a SON28 front and Deore rear hub. I'm 225 now, and still hammering on the same wheels. I've only had to true them once after the initial 250 - 300 mile break-in truing.