Old 10-31-09, 03:11 AM
bmwstbill

Bikes: '80's vintage Dutch framed(Gazelle), Japanese components,set up for city riding and light touring...fenders, rack and bags.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Flame,
The next time you get into it with threads like that back up and take a good look at
the threads in question. Sometimes if you get started crooked you create a burr or cross thread. This can be remedied with a knife point or some such by following the threads from the inside out with the point paying particular attention to a cross thread area.

The knife steel is harder than the threads and you can remanufacture them if you go about it carefully.
This is the art of mechanics.

Good work by you, I learned plenty about the need for specific tools by reading about your adventures. I am an old motorcycle mechanic but bicycles are new to me.

BTW the next time you buy grease find some disc brake wheel bearing grease,often it comes in a red tube. Ace Hardware has it. It is waterproof, heat proof and fluid at low temps.
It's just excellent on wheels and other wet areas. It is cheap. I've been using it everywhere.
Check it out and thanks.
Bill

Last edited by bmwstbill; 11-01-09 at 01:35 AM.