View Single Post
Old 11-01-09, 01:21 PM
Jim from Boston

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 218 Times in 171 Posts
Originally Posted by mike
Yes, I joined BF.com almost ten years ago. I think it was just getting started about then. It has improved a lot since then in many ways and it has grown. Lots of folks have come and gone and some have come, gone, and returned.

There is an enormous amount of information available through BF.com Whenever you are stuck with a mechanical problem or need some touring suggestions or an opinion about products, this is a great forum.

Besides that, BF.com is a great way to meet cool people. I have been lucky enough to meet some members in real life and bike with them. They are every bit as nice, friendly, and fun in real life as they are on the forums.
Hey Mike,

Thanks for your generous post in reply to mine asking for flashlight advice. I'm just a kid when it comes to BF (over one year) but I have been cycle commuting for about 25 years, and touring before that, including a cross-country trip. I agree with your comments about BF. BTW, just a few minutes ago I read the post below and considered it at first discouraging but on re-reading it is pretty thoughtful. Then I realized you were the author, whom I never recalled reading until this morning.

Originally Posted by mike
I have been bicycle commuting for over 20 years in all weather - including snow and ice.

The truth is that bicycling on snow and ice is not safe. Bicycling itself is not "safe". Few things we do in life are safe - including driving an automobile.

Individuals have different threshholds of safety that they are willing to accept. Some of us are not afraid to bicycle on snow and ice. Some people won't bicycle at all.

I can tell you that no matter what hardware you own. No matter how skillful you are, if you ride on snow and ice, eventually you are going to hit the pavement. It might not kill you. It might not even hurt you. However, you should prepare yourself for that reality.
PS: I forgot to mention that I'm a year round commuter, but only this past year due to the tutelage of various Bike Forum subscribers, I now ride in rain, and I bought studded tires for icy roads. Active lightning will hold me back, and a recent post from Buffalo suggested that winds of > 45 mph should be a cause for concern.

Last edited by Jim from Boston; 11-01-09 at 02:27 PM.