View Single Post
Old 11-01-09, 08:42 PM
Wake
Sputnik - beep beep beep

Bikes: '12 Jamis Coda Elite '09 Jamis Sputnik, '07 Jamis Eclipse, '13 Brompton M6R.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Sidewalk riding exposes stoopid biker

I've got several K miles of biking under my belt over the last 60-some years, but I got caught doing something dumb Thursday am. On the way to a marriage counselling appt (no, that's not the stoopid part!), I avoided an uphill left turn at a light on a 4-lane rd by taking to the left sidewalk a 1/4 mile before.

Enjoying the lack of pedestrians, and the feeling of wind in my ears, I coasted down the hill. Just before a little "chicane" at the bottom I tried to avoid some wet leaves and wound up leaving the sidewalk, but still under control. Then a culvert loomed into view - getting back on the sidewalk was a must. I'm really too old to bunny-hop, especially with 10lbs of lunch and clothes in the rear panniers. The front wheel made it ok, but not the rear. THUD went I, on the concrete.

Nothing important damaged - just a rubbing brake which I quickly adjusted. Well, I did rash up my hand (bleeding and swelled up good later), bruised my hip pretty bad, and probably bruised a rib (can't take a deep breath or cough very well, but it's getting better). I did manage to ride to work afterword, and home at the end of the day.

If I'd been a good commuter/cyclist I would never have been on the sidewalk. STOOPID.