View Single Post
Old 11-02-09, 08:08 AM
Chicago Al 

Bikes: 1974 Motobecane Grand Record, 1987 Miyata Pro, 1988 Bob Jackson Lady Mixte (wife's), others in the family

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 125 Post(s)
Liked 156 Times in 80 Posts
No wish to start up an international incident here, and just kidding about the trade suggestion, Randy! I do appreciate your suggestion. The first pic was the only thing I had to go on at the time, hence the mystery. I was really hoping it was going to be more like the one you pictured, Italian or Asian as it might be, but couldn't even tell. The later pics made it all too clear that it's a duck and not a swan.

I read somewhere yesterday that Motos were made in Canada for a time, I assume this being the Moto name either licensed or with a new owner rather than bikes bearing any resemblance to the actual French bikes. Obviously Motobecane has became one of those zombie brands in which the name lives on though the original intelligence behind it has long since died. Maybe this particular bike was Asian made. In any case, far from the Italian-made Concorde, or the nice looking Japanese one Randy pictured.

Interesting that there were also CCM Concordes---maybe they are similar bikes made in the same (Canadian) factory but branded differently? I'm sure it's a decent bike and the generator light and fenders (now off the bike) make it very practical. But I don't need a commuter, and '707 tensile steel' does not sound particularly exciting so I will pass on this bike.

Glad to see that those VO fenders caught your attention, Night Tiger. Because they are actually mine! I bought them for daughter's mixte but they were far too wide to fit between the twin stays and the chainstays, and I didn't want to get into metal cutting. I should probably keep them for a later project but am under some, um, domestic pressure to get some extra stuff outta here.