View Single Post
Old 11-02-09, 10:33 PM
ktmh

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Bike on Amtrak California Throughway bus

Not exactly a question about touring, but it seems like folks here might have the most experience with this:

My girlfriend and I are on exchange for school in Chico California this semester, need to get home to Tucson AZ mid-December with our 2 bikes. We plan to take Amtrak throughway bus from Chico to Stockton, the San Joaquin train from Stockton to Bakersfield, Amtrak throughway bus from Bakersfield to Los Angeles, then Sunset limited from LA to Tucson.

Once we get to LA, we can (must) box and check the bikes. I have had no problem with this in the past when getting to or returning from a tour.

The San Joaquin, according to Amtrak's website has 3 bike racks per car, no reservation needed. I don't forsee any problems there as I have taken that train twice and have always seen the bike racks empty.

The potential problem arises with the throughway buses. An Amtrak California brochure I have and the Amtrak website say that one can store a bike unboxed in the cargo compartment of the bus. I called Amtrak and spoke to an agent who, after telling me that the brochure and website were wrong, called the bus line that provides the throughway service, and apparently they said that indeed it is as I had thought, that an unboxed bike may be stored in the cargo area if there is room.

I am wondering if anyone has had any success or failures taking a bike unboxed on these Amtrak buses? Is it likely that the bus will not have room? It seems like we would just be out of luck if that were the case. We will be traveling the week before Christmas, which could increase this risk, though it will be on a weekday.

Any ideas or suggestions? We are thinking of taking the bikes on Amtrak as we will already be riding the train and if this works would only cost $20 for a box in LA, which seems cheaper than most other ways to ship a bike.