Old 11-03-09, 02:23 PM
Tunnelrat81

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Batavus
I think cost would rule out ultegra more than the availability of 24 hole front hubs. They can be found. Going for Ultegra hubs wouldn't leave much of your budget to buy decent spokes and rims, I think. Seriously consider Novatech hubs. There is almost always a group buy going on through Bob Dopolina here at bike forums.

Their basic road hubset weighs as much or less than Ultegras and I can't imagine that changing the cartridge bearings on these hubs (if you ever wear them out, with your riding style and weight) would be more difficult than changing bearings on any cartridge bearing hub. They come in multiple drillings and are also dirt cheap, which leaves more money for a qood quality rimset and spokes.

As a matter of fact, the weight difference is HEAVILY favoring the Novatec hubs. Ultegra's may be tested workhorses, but they weigh significantly more than the Novatec hubs I've been considering. Then add the weight of the extra spokes/nipples and the difference grows. The simple fact that there's so little information out there on a weight weenie style hubset has caused me more pause than anything else. I like that they are completely serviceable, convertible to Campy (not that I'll ever need it), and have easily replaceable cartridge bearings. Everything about the set is encouraging, I just REALLY like to have proof, and for me the proof is often in the user reviews, of which there are very few.

-Jeremy