View Single Post
Old 11-04-09, 05:54 AM
mike

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I am glad to see used Japanese bicycles being put to good use in the Philippines. Whoever is doing it must be making a fortune selling them between $50 to $80 because they are probably being paid by the Japanese municipalities to take them away. That is great! Excellent international entreprenuership.

Disposed bicycles are something of a problem in Japan. Every week, every county in Japan collect an enormous mountain of old bicycles. Many neighborhoods have used bicycle collection areas and once per week, people bring their old bicycles or abandoned bicycles to a designated area to be disposed. I always wondered what happed to them and now, I know.

Some are rusty old things, but many are in really nice shape. First, Japan doesn't have much storage space, so the only way to buy a new bike is to get rid of the old one. Most people don't have space for two bicycles.

One thing I noticed about Japanese bicycle and Japanese after-market bicycle gadgets is that although they are made in China, they are of better quality than the Chinese bicycles and parts we get in the States. I think their specs must be tighter than the USA importers.

Japanese bikes and bike stuff has nice features that you don't notice at first glance like the little knobs on the rear carrier that makes putting on the one long bungie cord so easy or the frame welded brackets for adding light generators; just simple stuff, but sensible.