Bikes: 2000 LeMond Buenos Aires / 1996 LeMond Alpe d'Huez / 2009 Scott Scale 60

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by jrich179
money spent trying to identify a J Doe

Yes I do! I watch The Forgotten

Honestly I don’t see any reason why people can’t carry a simple I.D. card while riding.
Don’t have the “me factor” but think of other people’s safety. If a person is struck by a vehicle or just happens to pass out when riding and the EMS arrives on scene they will stabilize then transports to the local ER. If you have ever rode in an ambulance you would know what the crew does when in route. They make radio contact with the local ER giving the patients vitals, sex, race and when available name. Why the name? So the ER can attempt to pull any medical records (history) they may have on the patient. If time allows they may also contact family (if listed as emergency contacts in the medical records.)
The police on scene if an I.D. is located will (or should) retrieve a number through the DMV file (or through their system NCIC or local files depending on what the victim has done in the past) and make contact with a family member. The importance in this is for the victim, family support, medical concerns (allergies, DNR.)
I understand a lot of us do not want to be told what we have to do by the government but when it can involve life or death dictions wouldn’t that be for the greater good of all?
It’s like the mandatory helmet law for children (under the age of 12). Would we all agree that is for the best interest for our children?

Anyways this is my 2 cents, I don’t think it should be mandatory but for safety we all should anyways.
FYI, The best thing to carry is a cell phone! Why? That is the first thing I use to I.D. and or locate a spouse/family member. Make sure you label your spouse “wife, husband” it makes it easier. I usually go for the “mom or dad” because almost everyone uses that contact name.