Old 11-05-09, 10:52 AM
meanwhile

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by mandovoodoo
That's an interesting summary. I suspect helmets make people feel better about doing something moderately dangerous and a bit exotic. Nobody I know wears a helmet in the shower, although I suspect showering is more dangerous (bare feet, slick surface, hard things to hit).
Statistically you're correct. Stairs also. Especially for seniors - they're vastly more at risk than a younger person riding through NYC traffic.

In my particular case, I strongly suspect substantial risk compensation. I'm probably a much safer cyclist when I don't wear a helmet. The magic plastic helps me overcome my reluctance to ride like a manic on public roads.
That's bad.

I do feel underprotected. I can't see a highly viable solution to this, at least for road cycling with high energy output and resulting need to dump excess heat. I'm on a motorcycle twice a day at least on my commute, always with all the gear, so I suspect that contours my expectation for abrasion and impact protection (armored clothes, protective boots, full face helmet).

In a related vein, bicyclists often look at my motorcycle and comment how dangerous motorcycling is. While I'm riding that in armor and they're riding two abreast around corners on narrow country roads. Funny world.
I've seen people wearing helmets and cycling while using a mobile. Most people don't know how to emergency stop correctly - including most serious roadies. And the number of people who the different risk levels for being near certain types of traffic is vanishingly small - anyone who cares enough about safety to wear a helmet but who rides next to a bus or truck at a junction is acting like an idiot - their risk per second just went up around hundred-fold. The other people who are definitely, but definitely people who say the helmet issue is simple. It's anything but.