Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Advocacy & Safety
Reload this Page >

Cyclist hit and killed; 2 others injured...

Notices
Advocacy & Safety Cyclists should expect and demand safe accommodation on every public road, just as do all other users. Discuss your bicycle advocacy and safety concerns here.

Cyclist hit and killed; 2 others injured...

Old 03-09-20, 06:22 AM
  #1  
CanoeU92
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Location: Fallston, MD
Posts: 44

Bikes: Salsa Vaya2, Raleigh Merit 3, Trek Antelope 800, Schwinn World Sport

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Cyclist hit and killed; 2 others injured...

A group of seven cyclists were riding together on Sunday morning when an SUV crashed into them. Story here.
CanoeU92 is offline  
Old 03-09-20, 06:47 AM
  #2  
Moe Zhoost
Half way there
 
Moe Zhoost's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: North Carolina
Posts: 2,663

Bikes: Many, and the list changes frequently

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 889 Post(s)
Liked 683 Times in 413 Posts
Straight but narrow 2 lane road. Speed limit 40 mph. Sun should not be a factor at 12:30 PM when the collision occured. Cyclists were hit by a motorist driving in the opposite direction. I doubt that these 7 riders were salmons so the driver weaved across the center line. How difficult is it to control your vehicle.
Moe Zhoost is offline  
Likes For Moe Zhoost:
Old 03-09-20, 02:24 PM
  #3  
Gyro
Full Member
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: lost
Posts: 460
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 86 Post(s)
Liked 51 Times in 25 Posts
Originally Posted by Moe Zhoost View Post
Straight but narrow 2 lane road. Speed limit 40 mph. Sun should not be a factor at 12:30 PM when the collision occured. Cyclists were hit by a motorist driving in the opposite direction. I doubt that these 7 riders were salmons so the driver weaved across the center line. How difficult is it to control your vehicle.
Texting... Know a guy hit riding a Harley this way. He can't walk anymore. At least 2 others involving cars, both had a DOA.
Gyro is offline  
Likes For Gyro:
Old 03-09-20, 02:33 PM
  #4  
Moe Zhoost
Half way there
 
Moe Zhoost's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: North Carolina
Posts: 2,663

Bikes: Many, and the list changes frequently

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 889 Post(s)
Liked 683 Times in 413 Posts
Originally Posted by Gyro View Post
Texting...
Probably, even though driving and texting is illegal in MD. I don't like making uninformed guesses though ... the driver may have had a severe medical event. I hope that they do a thorough investigation and if the driver was texting, punish him or her to the full extent of the MD law:

A texting or cellphone violation that leads to serious bodily injury or the death of another person carries additional penalties of up to one year in jail and/or a maximum $5,000 in fines.
Disgustingly light, huh?
Moe Zhoost is offline  
Likes For Moe Zhoost:
Old 03-09-20, 06:36 PM
  #5  
CoffeedrinkerNC
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2020
Location: North Carolina - GSO
Posts: 40

Bikes: Trek Verve 2

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked 26 Times in 17 Posts
Driver is going to get a plea deal from the most vehicular manslaughter, spend 1 year in jail.

Using your phone while driving is the norm, 99% of the people do it. Until we change society, it's not going to stop. even in countries with strict laws and enforcement like Australia, people still play with their phones while driving. Lots of people have been told from day 1 they are special, special people get to break the rules.
CoffeedrinkerNC is offline  
Likes For CoffeedrinkerNC:
Old 03-09-20, 07:49 PM
  #6  
Mad Honk 
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2019
Location: Bloomington, IN
Posts: 1,950

Bikes: Schwinn Paramounts, Othon Ochsner, Masi, Faggin

Mentioned: 61 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 820 Post(s)
Liked 840 Times in 584 Posts
Here in Middle Indiana the crossroads of America where Mike Pence is a FORMER governor. Our legislators went against conventional wisdom and passed a no cell phone use while driving law, to be instituted July 1 2020. Comes with a mandated $500 fine for infraction. I suspect there are a whole bunch of Millenials who are going to be funding the state's coffer on July 2 2020. JMHO, MH
Mad Honk is offline  
Old 03-09-20, 07:57 PM
  #7  
CoffeedrinkerNC
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2020
Location: North Carolina - GSO
Posts: 40

Bikes: Trek Verve 2

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked 26 Times in 17 Posts
Originally Posted by Mad Honk View Post
Here in Middle Indiana the crossroads of America where Mike Pence is a FORMER governor. Our legislators went against conventional wisdom and passed a no cell phone use while driving law, to be instituted July 1 2020. Comes with a mandated $500 fine for infraction. I suspect there are a whole bunch of Millenials who are going to be funding the state's coffer on July 2 2020. JMHO, MH
Only if the police enforce it. North Carolina is handsfree, but I still see people with a phone up to the side of their head, the police do not enforce this law.
CoffeedrinkerNC is offline  
Likes For CoffeedrinkerNC:
Old 03-09-20, 08:12 PM
  #8  
Chistophe516
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2020
Location: Pittsboro, NC
Posts: 113

Bikes: 2003 Specialized Allez

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 17 Posts
I just moved from that state, four months ago. In the previous thirty-five contiguous(4+yrs. living in Minn.) years. I never lived in that county. But it didn't matter what county you lived in. They all drive like only cars are on the road.
Chistophe516 is offline  
Old 03-09-20, 09:53 PM
  #9  
jimincalif
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Lake Forest, CA
Posts: 2,309

Bikes: '96 Trek 850, '08 Specialized Roubaix Comp, '18 Niner RLT RDO

Mentioned: 56 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 564 Post(s)
Liked 108 Times in 70 Posts
California has had a no phone while driving law for some years now. If anything it has gotten worse. Riding around, almost everyone is futzing with their devices. Squeezing in a text message at every traffic light. Close to zero enforcement as far as I can tell.
jimincalif is offline  
Old 03-09-20, 09:54 PM
  #10  
Bmach
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Posts: 1,024
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 408 Post(s)
Liked 225 Times in 135 Posts
Cell phone os should be programmed so that they do not function when a car is going faster than 5mph, unless connected to Bluetooth.
Bmach is offline  
Old 03-09-20, 11:21 PM
  #11  
CoffeedrinkerNC
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2020
Location: North Carolina - GSO
Posts: 40

Bikes: Trek Verve 2

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked 26 Times in 17 Posts
Originally Posted by Bmach View Post
Cell phone os should be programmed so that they do not function when a car is going faster than 5mph, unless connected to Bluetooth.
But, what about the passengers, they shouldn't be punished....
CoffeedrinkerNC is offline  
Likes For CoffeedrinkerNC:
Old 03-10-20, 09:16 AM
  #12  
Moe Zhoost
Half way there
 
Moe Zhoost's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: North Carolina
Posts: 2,663

Bikes: Many, and the list changes frequently

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 889 Post(s)
Liked 683 Times in 413 Posts
Originally Posted by CoffeedrinkerNC View Post
Only if the police enforce it. North Carolina is handsfree, but I still see people with a phone up to the side of their head, the police do not enforce this law.
Use of hand-held phones for talking is legal in NC. Using your phone for texting or email is prohibited unless hands-free. Under 18, you're not allowed to use any electronic device. See the General Statutes here. Page down to .137. Also important to note that in NC texting is a "primary violation" meaning that you can be pulled over solely for doing it. In other states, texting may be a "secondary violation", where it can be cited only in addition to another violation.

We still don't know if texting was involved. The driver is my age and I can generalize that most of us old folks don't text a lot. I hope there is some follow-up so we can direct our outrage accurately.

Curiously, one of the news outlets published a description of how MD had a 3 foot rule. I really, really, really doubt that this rule was intended to apply to oncoming vehicles crossing the center line.
Moe Zhoost is offline  
Old 03-10-20, 09:41 AM
  #13  
Gyro
Full Member
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: lost
Posts: 460
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 86 Post(s)
Liked 51 Times in 25 Posts
Originally Posted by Moe Zhoost View Post
Use of hand-held phones for talking is legal in NC. Using your phone for texting or email is prohibited unless hands-free. Under 18, you're not allowed to use any electronic device. See the General Statutes here. Page down to .137. Also important to note that in NC texting is a "primary violation" meaning that you can be pulled over solely for doing it. In other states, texting may be a "secondary violation", where it can be cited only in addition to another violation.

We still don't know if texting was involved. The driver is my age and I can generalize that most of us old folks don't text a lot. I hope there is some follow-up so we can direct our outrage accurately.

Curiously, one of the news outlets published a description of how MD had a 3 foot rule. I really, really, really doubt that this rule was intended to apply to oncoming vehicles crossing the center line.
I'd bet I'm also in your age group 60+. I text all the time. As does all the other people I know in my age group. I generally send voice texts. The phone records what I say and it go's out as a message.. Hate typing on the phone, large hands.
Gyro is offline  
Old 03-10-20, 11:03 AM
  #14  
Notso_fastLane
Senior Member
 
Notso_fastLane's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Layton, UT
Posts: 1,600

Bikes: 2011 Bent TW Elegance 2014 Carbon Strada Velomobile

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 624 Post(s)
Liked 692 Times in 414 Posts
Originally Posted by CoffeedrinkerNC View Post
But, what about the passengers, they shouldn't be punished....
Punished? This isn't punishment. That mentality is a big part of the problem. The only thing that should work while a phone is moving is the navigation app.
Notso_fastLane is offline  
Likes For Notso_fastLane:
Old 03-10-20, 06:36 PM
  #15  
CoffeedrinkerNC
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2020
Location: North Carolina - GSO
Posts: 40

Bikes: Trek Verve 2

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked 26 Times in 17 Posts
Originally Posted by Notso_fastLane View Post
Punished? This isn't punishment. That mentality is a big part of the problem. The only thing that should work while a phone is moving is the navigation app.
Why should a passengers phone not work in a moving vehicle?
CoffeedrinkerNC is offline  
Old 03-10-20, 10:40 PM
  #16  
Bmach
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Posts: 1,024
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 408 Post(s)
Liked 225 Times in 135 Posts
Originally Posted by CoffeedrinkerNC View Post
Why should a passengers phone not work in a moving vehicle?
Because of stupid drivers. Something has to be done and the laws are not working.
Bmach is offline  
Likes For Bmach:
Old 03-11-20, 01:05 AM
  #17  
CoffeedrinkerNC
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2020
Location: North Carolina - GSO
Posts: 40

Bikes: Trek Verve 2

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked 26 Times in 17 Posts
Originally Posted by Bmach View Post
Because of stupid drivers. Something has to be done and the laws are not working.
Holding others accountable from someone else action will never work,

Why not try and go for more training before people can get a DL?
CoffeedrinkerNC is offline  
Old 03-11-20, 04:28 PM
  #18  
Korina
Happy banana slug
 
Korina's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: Arcata, California, U.S., North America, Earth, Saggitarius Arm, Milky Way
Posts: 2,966

Bikes: 1984 Araya MB 261, 1992 Specialized Rockhopper Sport, 1993 Hard Rock Ultra, 1994 Trek Multitrack 750, 1995 Trek Singletrack 930

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1167 Post(s)
Liked 930 Times in 599 Posts
The article didn't answer the most important question; were the cyclists wearing helmets?!?
Korina is offline  
Likes For Korina:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.