Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Advocacy & Safety
Reload this Page >

This requires an answer.

Notices
Advocacy & Safety Cyclists should expect and demand safe accommodation on every public road, just as do all other users. Discuss your bicycle advocacy and safety concerns here.

This requires an answer.

Old 07-28-08, 08:00 AM
  #1  
Elkhound
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Charleston, WV
Posts: 1,768

Bikes: Trek Mountaineer modified with a NuVinci; Montegue Paratrooper folding mountain bike; Greenspeed recumbent; Surly Big Dummy with Stokemonkey

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
This requires an answer.

https://www.chicagotribune.com/news/o...,2022651.story
Elkhound is offline  
Old 07-28-08, 08:13 AM
  #2  
Hobartlemagne 
Spelling Snob
 
Hobartlemagne's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Plano, Texas
Posts: 2,862

Bikes: Panasonic DX4000, Bianchi Pista

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Well, I put in a reply.
__________________

The first rule of flats is You don't talk about flats!
Hobartlemagne is offline  
Old 07-28-08, 08:25 AM
  #3  
ilmooz
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 764
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Wow. Just.....wow. I can't believe someone like this wields the power of the pen for the Chicago Tribune.
ilmooz is offline  
Old 07-28-08, 08:45 AM
  #4  
maddyfish
Senior Member
 
maddyfish's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Ky. and FL.
Posts: 3,944

Bikes: KHS steel SS

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
What because he expects riders to stop at signs and lights? And because he says mixing bikes and walkers on sidewalks is dangerous? He is right, bikes should stop at lights and signs. And bikes should not ride on paths with pedestrians. Bikes should ride on the road.
maddyfish is offline  
Old 07-28-08, 08:51 AM
  #5  
Dude Abides
Runner's Knees
 
Dude Abides's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 63
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Not to comfortable with the way he tries to paint us as elitists. How many of you own a titanium bike?
Dude Abides is offline  
Old 07-28-08, 09:02 AM
  #6  
frymaster
Senior Member
 
frymaster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: where the mild things roam
Posts: 1,092
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by maddyfish View Post
What because he expects riders to stop at signs and lights?
no. because his ability to actually get a "fact" correct is almost completely lacking.

defending the ozone layer by cycling? what the hell does the internal combustion engine have to do with the ozone layer? "space age metal curtain"? what "space age metal" are bikes in chicago made from? aluminum? maybe "beer can metal curtain" would be a better phrase. and besides, the space age started in 1957. not very futuristic. bike cops wearing "cutoffs"? i'll admit i don't live in chicago, but i strongly suspect this isn't accurate.

but, most egregious is his bizarre notion that lyrac-clad roadies give a rat's ass about the environment or oil shortages or anything like that. if nothing else indicates that this desk jocky did absolutely zero research into his piece, it's this.

this grossman guy has to have the cushiest job in the city: write 300 words on a topic he knows nothing about doing zero research and ship it off to the printers without having to go through the painful fact-checking process.
frymaster is offline  
Old 07-28-08, 09:24 AM
  #7  
derath
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Reisterstown, MD
Posts: 3,249
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by frymaster
but, most egregious is his bizarre notion that lyrac-clad roadies give a rat's ass about the environment or oil shortages or anything like that. if nothing else indicates that this desk jocky did absolutely zero research into his piece, it's this.
Talk about painting with a broad brush. I happen to be a lycra-clad roadie and I care about the environment and oil shortages. Am I to believe that only grungy hippie types on busted up cruisers do it for the environment?

-D
derath is offline  
Old 07-28-08, 09:31 AM
  #8  
frymaster
Senior Member
 
frymaster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: where the mild things roam
Posts: 1,092
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by derath View Post
Talk about painting with a broad brush. I happen to be a lycra-clad roadie and I care about the environment and oil shortages.
that's actually very heartening to hear.

let me rephrase it this way: the break down of roadies who would say they "give a rat's ass" (or suitable, non-biased statement of equivalence) about the environment is probably the same or worse than that for drivers.
frymaster is offline  
Old 07-28-08, 09:34 AM
  #9  
surveyor
Where am I?
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Houston, TX
Posts: 179

Bikes: Old Centurion Accordo (in the process of being SS'ed), Cannondale Quick 5 (racks/panniers/fenders, utility bike), Trek XO1 (fun/fast/main ride)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My favorite part of the piece was where he mentioned his kids not understanding how to up/downshift, and then derides cyclists as not being able to understand multiple gears, ostensibly because they cannot comprehend the technology they are utilizing.

Maybe your kids should have had a better teacher, eh Ron?
surveyor is offline  
Old 07-28-08, 10:02 AM
  #10  
gcottay
Senior Member
 
gcottay's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Green Valley AZ
Posts: 3,770

Bikes: Trice Q; Volae Century; TT 3.4

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Yes, this needs an answer.

Mine includes showing respect for walkers in MUPs and slowing down in congested areas.
gcottay is offline  
Old 07-28-08, 10:14 AM
  #11  
genec
genec
 
genec's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: West Coast
Posts: 26,733

Bikes: custom built, sannino, beachbike, giant trance x2

Mentioned: 57 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10715 Post(s)
Liked 2,736 Times in 1,878 Posts
Well the only real answer is to move all those cyclists out to the street... and remove the cars.
genec is offline  
Old 07-28-08, 10:23 AM
  #12  
Sledbikes
Senior Member
 
Sledbikes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 539
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
what you guys dont understand is those ****ers are very real like all the duches of the world traded their camaros and firebirds for roadbikes and fixies
Sledbikes is offline  
Old 07-28-08, 10:23 AM
  #13  
frymaster
Senior Member
 
frymaster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: where the mild things roam
Posts: 1,092
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by genec View Post
Well the only real answer is to move all those cyclists out to the street... and remove the cars.
+1
frymaster is offline  
Old 07-28-08, 10:26 AM
  #14  
rando
Senior Member
 
rando's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Tempe, AZ
Posts: 2,968
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I think it's supposed to be funny, or at least tongue in cheek.
__________________
"Think of bicycles as rideable art that can just about save the world". ~Grant Petersen

Cyclists fare best when they recognize that there are times when acting vehicularly is not the best practice, and are flexible enough to do what is necessary as the situation warrants.--Me
rando is offline  
Old 07-28-08, 10:42 AM
  #15  
genec
genec
 
genec's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: West Coast
Posts: 26,733

Bikes: custom built, sannino, beachbike, giant trance x2

Mentioned: 57 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10715 Post(s)
Liked 2,736 Times in 1,878 Posts
Originally Posted by rando View Post
I think it's supposed to be funny, or at least tongue in cheek.
Yeah but but about as poor taste as the recent New Yorker cover of Obama...
genec is offline  
Old 07-28-08, 10:44 AM
  #16  
thebarerider
Senior Member
 
thebarerider's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Norman, OK
Posts: 471

Bikes: Trek520

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by surveyor View Post
My favorite part of the piece was where he mentioned his kids not understanding how to up/downshift, and then derides cyclists as not being able to understand multiple gears, ostensibly because they cannot comprehend the technology they are utilizing.

Maybe your kids should have had a better teacher, eh Ron?
This was my favorite part, too.
thebarerider is offline  
Old 07-28-08, 10:51 AM
  #17  
maddyfish
Senior Member
 
maddyfish's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Ky. and FL.
Posts: 3,944

Bikes: KHS steel SS

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by frymaster View Post
that's actually very heartening to hear.

let me rephrase it this way: the break down of roadies who would say they "give a rat's ass" (or suitable, non-biased statement of equivalence) about the environment is probably the same or worse than that for drivers.
I'd say that is wrong as well. I have quite a bit of lycra, I even have a team Phonak jersey. I ride a carbon fiber Orbea. But I also commute by bike, and have a bike with baskets all over it that I use to go to the farmers market and grocery store.

I also stop at stop signs, and lights. And I don't think that bikes don't stop at lights and signs because they don't know how to shift. I think bikes don't stop at lights and signs becasue their riders are weak sprinters.
maddyfish is offline  
Old 07-28-08, 05:15 PM
  #18  
garydogwood
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: plano,tx
Posts: 59

Bikes: road and mtn.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Dude Abides View Post
Not to comfortable with the way he tries to paint us as elitists. How many of you own a titanium bike?
I do. I do!!!

gw
garydogwood is offline  
Old 07-28-08, 05:51 PM
  #19  
trackhub
Senior Member
 
trackhub's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Watching all of you on O.B.I.T.
Posts: 2,016

Bikes: Bridgestone RB-1. Nicely restored

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Another poorly written newspaper column, from a bike-hating columnist. There seems to be a lot of them. Too bad there's no smiley for yawning.

Of course, Mr. Grossman is free to state what's on his mind. In kind, we are free to disagree with it, or ignore it.

Bicycles used to have a bit of substance. They had big, fat tires and a simple mechanism: Pedal clockwise and the bike went forward, push backward and it stopped.
Someone needs to inform Mr. Grossman that such bikes are readily available. Electra makes some fine cruisers, as do others.
trackhub is offline  
Old 07-28-08, 07:45 PM
  #20  
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile
 
I-Like-To-Bike's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Burlington Iowa
Posts: 28,552

Bikes: Vaterland and Ragazzi

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 595 Times in 385 Posts
Originally Posted by trackhub View Post
Another poorly written newspaper column, from a bike-hating columnist. There seems to be a lot of them. Too bad there's no smiley for yawning.






I-Like-To-Bike is offline  
Old 07-28-08, 08:15 PM
  #21  
apricissimus 
L T X B O M P F A N S R
 
apricissimus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Malden, MA
Posts: 2,334

Bikes: Bianchi Volpe, Bianchi San Jose, Redline 925

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1640 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by surveyor View Post
My favorite part of the piece was where he mentioned his kids not understanding how to up/downshift, and then derides cyclists as not being able to understand multiple gears, ostensibly because they cannot comprehend the technology they are utilizing.

Maybe your kids should have had a better teacher, eh Ron?
I rode my bike over to my parents' house yesterday, and they actually asked me if I shifted into different gears when I ride. I was taken aback. Like, why wouldn't I? It's really not hard, but I guess it is intimidating to some people.
apricissimus is offline  
Old 07-28-08, 08:34 PM
  #22  
Dchiefransom
Senior Member
 
Dchiefransom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Newark, CA. San Francisco Bay Area
Posts: 6,251
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by apricissimus View Post
I rode my bike over to my parents' house yesterday, and they actually asked me if I shifted into different gears when I ride. I was taken aback. Like, why wouldn't I? It's really not hard, but I guess it is intimidating to some people.
Maybe they've watched the Land Rider infomercial too many times.

My favorite reply is the one by Dan Korn.
Dchiefransom is offline  
Old 07-28-08, 10:16 PM
  #23  
derath
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Reisterstown, MD
Posts: 3,249
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by frymaster View Post
that's actually very heartening to hear.

let me rephrase it this way: the break down of roadies who would say they "give a rat's ass" (or suitable, non-biased statement of equivalence) about the environment is probably the same or worse than that for drivers.
I would still love to understand where you get this, other than pulling it from your backside. I don't know a ton of roadies (not in a club or anything) but the majority of the ones I do care about the environment. One in particular (who is on this forum) commutes every day to work on his full carbon Giant TCR. It is quite interesting actually to see a race bike tricked out with clip on fenders and lights. But he is also a Cat 4 racer and puts 10k+ miles on that bike every year.

-D
derath is offline  
Old 07-28-08, 10:33 PM
  #24  
ilmooz
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 764
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by maddyfish View Post
What because he expects riders to stop at signs and lights? And because he says mixing bikes and walkers on sidewalks is dangerous? He is right, bikes should stop at lights and signs. And bikes should not ride on paths with pedestrians. Bikes should ride on the road.
I took an overview of the entire article before I commented, not just two aspects of it.

I disagree with your contention that bikes should not ride on paths with pedestrians if the path is and always has been designated for bicycle use as this one is. You could just as easily say pedestrians should walk only on sidewalks.

However, I do agree with your 'Democrat voting for McCain' tag line.
ilmooz is offline  
Old 07-29-08, 12:19 AM
  #25  
mondaycurse
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 857
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Dchiefransom View Post
My favorite reply is the one by Dan Korn.
Whoever this is can write much better than the paid man.
mondaycurse is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.