Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Advocacy & Safety
Reload this Page >

The helmet thread

Notices
Advocacy & Safety Cyclists should expect and demand safe accommodation on every public road, just as do all other users. Discuss your bicycle advocacy and safety concerns here.
View Poll Results: Helmet wearing habits?
I've never worn a bike helmet
178
10.66%
I used to wear a helmet, but have stopped
94
5.63%
I've always worn a helmet
648
38.80%
I didn't wear a helmet, but now do
408
24.43%
I sometimes wear a helmet depending on the conditions
342
20.48%
Voters: 1670. You may not vote on this poll

The helmet thread

Old 08-08-13, 03:23 PM
  #6026  
Senior Member
 
rekmeyata's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: NE Indiana
Posts: 9,107

Bikes: 2020 Masi Giramondo 700c; 2013 Lynskey Peloton; 1992 Giant Rincon; 1989 Dawes needs parts; 1985 Trek 660; 1985 Fuji Club; 1984 Schwinn Voyager; 1984 Miyata 612; 1977 Raleigh Competition GS

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1071 Post(s)
Liked 220 Times in 179 Posts
Originally Posted by sudo bike
You don't understand because you don't want to understand. You want to be right.
Honestly, everyone wants to be right, the problem is when the desire to be right overrides the overwhelming evidence to the contrary and they still think their right.
rekmeyata is offline  
Old 08-08-13, 03:26 PM
  #6027  
Bicikli Huszár
 
sudo bike's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Fresno, CA
Posts: 2,116

Bikes: '95 Novara Randonee

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by rekmeyata
Honestly, everyone wants to be right, the problem is when the desire to be right overrides the overwhelming evidence to the contrary and they still think their right.
What we're talking about here has nothing to do with evidence. He said he can't understand why people don't... that isn't an evidence-based question. There are personal reasons for it, which have been explained ad nauseam.
sudo bike is offline  
Old 08-08-13, 03:29 PM
  #6028  
Senior Member
 
rekmeyata's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: NE Indiana
Posts: 9,107

Bikes: 2020 Masi Giramondo 700c; 2013 Lynskey Peloton; 1992 Giant Rincon; 1989 Dawes needs parts; 1985 Trek 660; 1985 Fuji Club; 1984 Schwinn Voyager; 1984 Miyata 612; 1977 Raleigh Competition GS

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1071 Post(s)
Liked 220 Times in 179 Posts
Originally Posted by sudo bike
What we're talking about here has nothing to do with evidence. He said he can't understand why people don't... that isn't an evidence-based question. There are personal reasons for it, which have been explained ad nauseam.
This whole thread has been hashed to nauseam.
rekmeyata is offline  
Old 08-09-13, 06:27 PM
  #6029  
Senior Member
 
rydabent's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Lincoln Ne
Posts: 9,853

Bikes: RANS Stratus TerraTrike Tour II

Mentioned: 45 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3261 Post(s)
Liked 1,035 Times in 620 Posts
Look at the poll results. Helmet useage is over 80%. Trying to convince people not to wear helmets is a losing proprosition.

Have a nice day, ride safe, and wear a helmet.
rydabent is offline  
Old 08-14-13, 05:04 PM
  #6030  
vol
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 3,797
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 18 Times in 12 Posts
I find it laughable that whenever the topic comes up and if you say you don't wear helmet when riding on, say, a safe rail-trail with no vehicle traffic, or going to the local shops, then someone will come out and say something like, "Be careful! a friend/co-worker/friend's friend once crashed on a safe rail-trail/his way to the local store, after hitting something, hit his head and got serious injuries, blah blah; had he been without a helmet, he would have been dead/become a vegetable---therefore, helmets keep you safe! You can never be wrong to wear one!"

By that reasoning, we should all wear helmet 24 hours a day: it could only make you safer, since one could always cite an instance when someone hit his head and died/was injured in an accident, when a helmet "would have saved" his life/brains (I have heard about neighbors who were killed after being hit by a falling flower pot or kitchen knife that fell from high floor balconies: they would have been alive today had they been wearing helmets).

Now for an example of what I am talking about, see this recent discussion at the Hybrid Bicycles Forum (and note the comments by americandream).

What's even more laughable is how safe many people feel with helmets on their heads, being apparently more careful when not wearing helmets---or equivalently, less careful when wearing helmets (cf. the same discussion I linked above).
vol is offline  
Old 08-15-13, 07:52 AM
  #6031  
Full Member
 
DrkAngel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Upstate NY
Posts: 339

Bikes: Various "modded" eZips and multiple econversions

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I never used to wear a helmet ...
Maybe because people told me I should?

Till a geared up 5 year old pointed at me and told me "You gonna wek an you bwain wi faw out!"
Who could argue with that?

Well protection in case of an accident was still insufficient , for me, so I had to go a bit further!


Incorporates a wide angle mirror, flashing tail light and zoomable light with high, low, strobe and lighted ring.

Available now is a quick-cheap add-on improvement!
click on picture

- $14.95


Attached Images
File Type: jpg
Helmet.JPG (70.4 KB, 102 views)
File Type: jpg
HeadTail Light.jpg (70.6 KB, 101 views)

Last edited by DrkAngel; 08-18-13 at 07:04 AM.
DrkAngel is offline  
Old 08-15-13, 11:29 PM
  #6032  
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 6
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I know the importance wearing helmet but i feel UN-comfort driving bike by wearing helmet so dependence up on situation i wear the helmet... But it's always safe to ride by wearing helmet.
gracieallen is offline  
Old 08-16-13, 10:54 AM
  #6033  
Friendship is Magic
 
3alarmer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Sacramento, CA
Posts: 22,784

Bikes: old ones

Mentioned: 304 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 26080 Post(s)
Liked 9,996 Times in 6,944 Posts
Originally Posted by sudo bike
What we're talking about here has nothing to do with evidence. He said he can't understand why people don't... that isn't an evidence-based question. There are personal reasons for it, which have been explained ad nauseam.
Originally Posted by rekmeyata
This whole thread has been hashed to nauseam.

.........could this be the end ? Will the question of helment usage be answered once and for all ?

I am on the edge of my seat..........I hope I don't fall off and hit my head on something.
3alarmer is offline  
Old 08-16-13, 11:53 AM
  #6034  
Senior Member
 
paulkal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Holland
Posts: 952

Bikes: 2007 Nagasawa with C-Record, 1992 Duell with Croce D'aune/Chorus, three Gazelles, M5 recumbent

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 25 Times in 15 Posts
Originally Posted by 3alarmer
.........could this be the end ? Will the question of helment usage be answered once and for all ?

I am on the edge of my seat..........I hope I don't fall off and hit my head on something.
Are you wearing a helmet? Because you should always were a helmet when you're sitting on the edge an a seat.
paulkal is offline  
Old 08-16-13, 12:47 PM
  #6035  
Friendship is Magic
 
3alarmer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Sacramento, CA
Posts: 22,784

Bikes: old ones

Mentioned: 304 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 26080 Post(s)
Liked 9,996 Times in 6,944 Posts
Originally Posted by paulkal
Are you wearing a helmet? Because you should always were a helmet when you're sitting on the edge an a seat.
.......see, here's the thing. I usually wear a helment when posting in the A + S, the P + R, and sometimes the C + V, but when I
post in the forums where I feel safer, sometimes I post without a helment, and if I switch back and forth, sometimes I forget where I am.

Actually, I'm not even for sure where I am even when I remember. I'm gonna have to get a seatbelt for this desk chair, I think.
3alarmer is offline  
Old 08-17-13, 02:12 PM
  #6036  
Senior Member
 
mconlonx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 7,558
Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7147 Post(s)
Liked 133 Times in 92 Posts
Originally Posted by vol
What's even more laughable is how safe many people feel with helmets on their heads, being apparently more careful when not wearing helmets---or equivalently, less careful when wearing helmets (cf. the same discussion I linked above).
Research posted in this thread indicated those who usually did not wear helmets were more cautious when they participated in a study where they wore helmets; those who usually wore helmets did not ride less safely without.

If people feel safe wearing helmets, buying into all the false sense security for which the bare-head brigade regularly chastises the helmeteers, then perhaps helmets are responsible for lowering the fear threshold for such riders to a point where they will actually participate in that daredevil activity, riding a bicycle. Where, if they actually knew the limits of helmet protection, they'd not feel comfortable out in traffic.
mconlonx is offline  
Old 08-17-13, 03:26 PM
  #6037  
Senior Member
 
rekmeyata's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: NE Indiana
Posts: 9,107

Bikes: 2020 Masi Giramondo 700c; 2013 Lynskey Peloton; 1992 Giant Rincon; 1989 Dawes needs parts; 1985 Trek 660; 1985 Fuji Club; 1984 Schwinn Voyager; 1984 Miyata 612; 1977 Raleigh Competition GS

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1071 Post(s)
Liked 220 Times in 179 Posts
Originally Posted by 3alarmer
.........could this be the end ? Will the question of helment usage be answered once and for all ?

I am on the edge of my seat..........I hope I don't fall off and hit my head on something.
Nope, it has become projectile vomit.
rekmeyata is offline  
Old 08-17-13, 03:30 PM
  #6038  
Senior Member
 
rekmeyata's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: NE Indiana
Posts: 9,107

Bikes: 2020 Masi Giramondo 700c; 2013 Lynskey Peloton; 1992 Giant Rincon; 1989 Dawes needs parts; 1985 Trek 660; 1985 Fuji Club; 1984 Schwinn Voyager; 1984 Miyata 612; 1977 Raleigh Competition GS

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1071 Post(s)
Liked 220 Times in 179 Posts
Originally Posted by mconlonx
Research posted in this thread indicated those who usually did not wear helmets were more cautious when they participated in a study where they wore helmets; those who usually wore helmets did not ride less safely without.

If people feel safe wearing helmets, buying into all the false sense security for which the bare-head brigade regularly chastises the helmeteers, then perhaps helmets are responsible for lowering the fear threshold for such riders to a point where they will actually participate in that daredevil activity, riding a bicycle. Where, if they actually knew the limits of helmet protection, they'd not feel comfortable out in traffic.
That was my point too, and it's the truth, it's about fear, they feel more fearful riding without helmets so they ride more carefully. And for some reason the MODS here deleted it! Hmmmm, maybe the mod here doesn't wear a helmet and felt insulted that I called him fearful? And yet that is the whole substance if riding more carefully when riding without a helmet...FEAR.
rekmeyata is offline  
Old 08-18-13, 01:51 PM
  #6039  
Senior Member
 
mconlonx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 7,558
Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7147 Post(s)
Liked 133 Times in 92 Posts
For all of those wearing helmets for the wrong reasons, excuses for not going with full body armor are getting thinner and thinner...

mconlonx is offline  
Old 08-18-13, 01:53 PM
  #6040  
Friendship is Magic
 
3alarmer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Sacramento, CA
Posts: 22,784

Bikes: old ones

Mentioned: 304 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 26080 Post(s)
Liked 9,996 Times in 6,944 Posts
Originally Posted by mconlonx
For all of those wearing helmets for the wrong reasons, excuses for not going with full body armor are getting thinner and thinner...
.........I'm in if it comes in bibs. I only ride with bibs, man.
__________________
3alarmer is offline  
Old 08-18-13, 07:13 PM
  #6041  
Senior Member
 
mconlonx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 7,558
Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7147 Post(s)
Liked 133 Times in 92 Posts
Originally Posted by 3alarmer
.........I'm in if it comes in bibs. I only ride with bibs, man.
Ew. This image may be worse than the Skater Dress...

(Bibs rock! )
mconlonx is offline  
Old 08-18-13, 07:19 PM
  #6042  
Senior Member
 
curbtender's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: SF Bay Area, East bay
Posts: 8,615

Bikes: Miyata 618 GT, Marinoni, Kestral 200 2002 Trek 5200, KHS Flite, Koga Miyata, Schwinn Spitfire 5, Mondia Special, Univega Alpina, Miyata team Ti, Santa Cruz Highball

Mentioned: 52 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1564 Post(s)
Liked 2,397 Times in 1,147 Posts
Sold a hardcase backpack to a guy with the note that if he went down on his back it would save some skin. Really, he couldn't even tighten the belt around his waist. I'm a little different. I ride at the edges sometimes and know when I'm there. I think my commute is the scariest part of riding. There is just no trusting someone late for work.
curbtender is offline  
Old 08-18-13, 11:31 PM
  #6043  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 329
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by rydabent
The fact remains, will a helmet help you if you are hit by a car doing 65------------no. But is a lower speed accident or fall a helmet probably will prevent some injury. ANY INJURY PREVENTED is a good thing. Sadly the anti helmet crowd wont admit this.
Just because a car is traveling at some given speed doesn't mean your head is going to impact anything at that speed. No helmet is claiming to handle a 65mph impact. They are made to handle a drop from two meters at the speed created by gravity. In other words, a fall, which is a hell of a lot more common when getting hit by a car. The anti-helmet crowd will continue to cite that the helmet doesn't save you from injuries over areas the helmet doesn't cover in that situation too. It's a never-ending game for them without any rational and real concern for making better choices in terms of standards of protection and marketplace awareness, etc.
License2Ill is offline  
Old 08-18-13, 11:34 PM
  #6044  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 329
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by mconlonx
For all of those wearing helmets for the wrong reasons, excuses for not going with full body armor are getting thinner and thinner...

Is that Dainese fashion crap even CE rated for motorcyclist protection? Their crap is always second-rate, and they've fought certification and performance standards like big tobacco over the years.
License2Ill is offline  
Old 08-19-13, 10:32 AM
  #6045  
Senior Member
 
mconlonx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 7,558
Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7147 Post(s)
Liked 133 Times in 92 Posts
Originally Posted by License2Ill
Is that Dainese fashion crap even CE rated for motorcyclist protection? Their crap is always second-rate, and they've fought certification and performance standards like big tobacco over the years.
Why would body armor for bicycling be CE rated for motorcyclist protection...?
mconlonx is offline  
Old 08-19-13, 11:28 AM
  #6046  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 329
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Because no standard exists for bicycling protective equipment and since Dainese is in the business of motorcyclist fashion.
License2Ill is offline  
Old 08-19-13, 07:45 PM
  #6047  
Senior Member
 
mconlonx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 7,558
Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7147 Post(s)
Liked 133 Times in 92 Posts
Originally Posted by License2Ill
Because no standard exists for bicycling protective equipment and since Dainese is in the business of motorcyclist fashion.
Well then, you've answered your own question: Dianese bike products meet or exceed current standards for bicycle protective equipment.
mconlonx is offline  
Old 08-19-13, 08:31 PM
  #6048  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 329
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by mconlonx
Well then, you've answered your own question: Dianese bike products meet or exceed current standards for bicycle protective equipment.
Expect the results to match that angle. There's no reason they shouldn't be making items that meet the available standards for mc protective equipment or even horse rider vests which are more comprehensive in terms of torso coverage and force limits.
License2Ill is offline  
Old 08-19-13, 08:42 PM
  #6049  
vol
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 3,797
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 18 Times in 12 Posts
Originally Posted by mconlonx
Research posted in this thread indicated those who usually did not wear helmets were more cautious when they participated in a study where they wore helmets; those who usually wore helmets did not ride less safely without.
I don't know what kind of study it was, but it is contrary to my observation.
vol is offline  
Old 08-20-13, 07:33 AM
  #6050  
Senior Member
 
mconlonx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 7,558
Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7147 Post(s)
Liked 133 Times in 92 Posts
Originally Posted by vol
I don't know what kind of study it was, but it is contrary to my observation.
I got it backwards. So much for memory...

Those who usually wear helmets slow down when riding without; those who usually do not wear helmets ride no faster if they are forced to wear one.

So the risk compensation issue is still far from settled. Plunking a helmet on someone doesn't mean they will ride more dangerously, but many wearing helmets are probably riding outside their comfort/ability/safety zone.
mconlonx is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.