Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

Baggage Question/advice

Search
Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

Baggage Question/advice

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-18, 08:08 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Baggage Question/advice

Hey all. I have never done anything remotely close to touring, but in a few weeks I was planning on biking down about 70 miles to visit a buddy, spending a night or two with him and pedaling back home. Originally I was just going to cram a couple of changes of clothes, some powerbars, and some toiletries in a backpack and heading out, but now I am wondering if I should invest in a saddle bag or hydration pack. There are not many places to stop on the 70 mile trip as it is mostly going through national forest. Any advise for a newbie? If I do go the way of the oversized saddlebag, would 10L be enough? Any advice would be appreciated. (FYI the bike is a 2017 Specialized diverge)
Old 05-07-18, 09:22 AM

Bikes: Fuji Touring, Novara Randonee

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 2639 Post(s)
Liked 1,987 Times in 1,244 Posts
That'll be a couple of long-ish days in the saddle, but I'd do the backpack stuffing and go for it. It's not too long, and if you want to get some other way to carry luggage for another or longer trip, you can do it then. Just make sure there's room for something like a 2 liter Coke bottle filled with water so you can keep drinking when your bike bottles are exhausted.
Old 05-07-18, 01:53 PM

Bikes: 2016 Novara Mazama

Mentioned: 63 Post(s)
Quoted: 3640 Post(s)
Liked 81 Times in 51 Posts
My 9L saddlebag will fit two rain coats, a hat, a pair of gloves, a hand air pump, some tools and spare tube, with a bit of room to spare. I'd say its probably on the small end for what you want to do, especially if you want to hold some water bottles too.

Always pack more water than you think you'll need if going through a remote area, especially if you don't know your water consumption needs for the weather at hand.
Old 05-07-18, 02:12 PM

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 659 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
I'd suggest doing at least one or two trial day rides carrying the items you plan to take in your back pack. I find a back pack to be uncomfortable on all but the shortest rides while others I know have no such issues.
Old 05-07-18, 02:50 PM
nun

Bikes: Rivendell Quickbeam, Rivendell Rambouillet, Rivendell Atlantis, Circle A town bike, De Rosa Neo Primato, Cervelo RS, Specialized Diverge

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 180 Post(s)
Liked 43 Times in 40 Posts
That's a perfect job for something like a Carradice Barley saddlebag
Old 05-07-18, 03:08 PM

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18444 Post(s)
Liked 4,551 Times in 3,382 Posts
You should be able to do 70 mile in a day... if you want to.

I bet you could pack a USPS flat rate box full of clothes, and have them waiting for you at the other end.
Old 05-08-18, 12:43 AM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 363 Post(s)
Liked 29 Times in 23 Posts
Do you have a rear rack on your bike? If so, just strap your backpack onto the rack. You’ll be Much happier that way. Otherwise this just comes down to your personal preference. I would hate it, but others are fine doing a long day with a backpack.
Old 05-08-18, 09:43 AM

Bikes: Fuji Touring, Novara Randonee

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 2639 Post(s)
Liked 1,987 Times in 1,244 Posts
Originally Posted by CliffordK
I bet you could pack a USPS flat rate box full of clothes, and have them waiting for you at the other end.
Very good point. This would be way cheaper than any of the alternatives (saddle bag, racks, etc.).
Old 05-08-18, 09:50 AM
djb

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 2755 Post(s)
Liked 984 Times in 805 Posts
Originally Posted by pdlamb
Very good point. This would be way cheaper than any of the alternatives (saddle bag, racks, etc.).
its a great idea for when he gets there, but still doesnt help with riding clothes options for various temps or weather, food, repair stuff etc.
Old 05-08-18, 09:52 AM
djb

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 2755 Post(s)
Liked 984 Times in 805 Posts
Originally Posted by nun
That's a perfect job for something like a Carradice Barley saddlebag
so, you are still kicking mr nun.
I thought of you when I saw this recently:

https://www.arkel-od.com/en/rollpack...-seat-bag.html

looks like a nice waterproof setup, and arkel stuff is generally well made, although I havent seen this in the flesh yet.
Old 05-08-18, 03:00 PM

Bikes: Downtube 8H, Surly Troll

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 303 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 21 Posts
I would agree that the biggest issue is carrying enough water. Also your own comfort level and ability. I know plenty of people who would take their road bike out and rack up 70+ miles, be home by dinner and think nothing of it. I'm not one of those people, and I don't know if you are. I also don't know if traveling through a national forest involves paved roads, gravel, or dirt. Even though 70 miles is no small day for me, I'd happily tackle it carrying as little as possible on some smooth roads carrying enough water for the whole trip, or knowing where to get some. I feel like that could easily be done with a medium/small backpack and some bottle cages. But I'm much, much more comfortable riding without a backpack, so I'd look for a way to carry stuff off my back: saddle/seat bag or maybe handlbar bag, or even a dry bag strapped on to the handlebars. As far as capacity goes, pull all your stuff together: changes of clothing plus whatever you need to adjust to changes in weather. I feel like that would come out under 9 liters easily, but a big issue might be how much water you need to carry and where you have to carry it.

I feel like the basic question of the possibility of carrying a couple changes of clothes in a backpack 70 miles is, "Sure." But the variables: Your fitness, access to water, suitability of your bike to the terrain. Those could tip the scale. At any rate, some way to carry gear on your bike would make you more comfortable, I imagine, but it may not be worth the investment for one trip.
Old 05-08-18, 05:47 PM
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,359 Times in 865 Posts
Backpack may get rather uncomfortable, but its up to you , you will wear it, not me.

2 panniers on a rear rack perhaps?
Old 05-08-18, 06:00 PM

Bikes: I'm not a guy - brand doesn't matter.

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 185 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
Putting anything on your back is not a good idea. Can be rather dangerous biking if that pack fills up with stuff. Also, if it's a warm/hot day out, you'll sweat back there. And there's the proverbial bad back syndrome. If you ride regularly, buy a rack so you can either get panniers or foldable baskets (love em!) or just to bungee down bags and said backpack. And if you don 't ride regularly...you should!
Old 05-08-18, 10:19 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 773 Post(s)
Liked 629 Times in 352 Posts
Originally Posted by cjwheat7
Hey all. I have never done anything remotely close to touring, but in a few weeks I was planning on biking down about 70 miles to visit a buddy, spending a night or two with him and pedaling back home. Originally I was just going to cram a couple of changes of clothes, some powerbars, and some toiletries in a backpack and heading out, but now I am wondering if I should invest in a saddle bag or hydration pack. There are not many places to stop on the 70 mile trip as it is mostly going through national forest. Any advise for a newbie? If I do go the way of the oversized saddlebag, would 10L be enough? Any advice would be appreciated. (FYI the bike is a 2017 Specialized diverge)
That's a pretty long haul for someone with little prep. Make sure you have a back up plan