Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

Long Haul /trucker

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Long Haul /trucker

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-09, 11:30 AM
stringbreaker

Bikes: specialized crossroads hybrid 2006 Raleigh Cadent 2 1971 Schwinn Varsity, 1972 Schwinn Continental, 1977 Schwinn Volare (frame)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Long Haul /trucker

Is it considered bad form to put upright or so called north road bars on a Surly Long haul trucker?
Old 06-09-09, 11:35 AM
GATC

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 464 Post(s)
Liked 49 Times in 27 Posts
Yes. Your logos will be revoked and replaced with Hello Kittys.

Old 06-09-09, 11:35 AM
Get on your bikes & ride!

Bikes: See signature (it varys day to day)

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Nope, I've seen one here on the forum. I'm sure someone will post the pic...

Last edited by xB_Nutt; 06-09-09 at 08:09 PM.
Old 06-09-09, 06:29 PM

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 946 Post(s)
Liked 663 Times in 375 Posts
Originally Posted by stringbreaker
Is it considered bad form to put upright or so called north road bars on a Surly Long haul trucker?
Who cares what the style nazis think. If that's what you want, well, ya know what? It's your bike!
Old 06-09-09, 06:36 PM
Survival of the Fitest

Bikes: 198? Univega Custom Maxima, 2009 Motobecane Fantom Cross Uno

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
It's a tourer...so no. Tourers are all about comfort.
Old 06-09-09, 06:45 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hell, put whatever bars you like for whatever reasons. If you want to cruise in your rock solid LHT with old school upright bars go for it. I have often thought about putting flipped moustache bars on my hauling bike.
Old 06-09-09, 07:42 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have Albatross bars on my LHT and it is most comfortable. I have put many miles on this bike and for me, it is just the perfect set up. If that is what you like, do it.
Old 06-09-09, 08:04 PM
not a role model

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
It's just a frame. Build it how you like.

As for losing your surly stickers. That would be a HUGE step in the right direction IMO.
Old 06-09-09, 08:12 PM
Get on your bikes & ride!

Bikes: See signature (it varys day to day)

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Not mine, but this is what it would look like.
Old 06-09-09, 08:47 PM
stringbreaker

Bikes: specialized crossroads hybrid 2006 Raleigh Cadent 2 1971 Schwinn Varsity, 1972 Schwinn Continental, 1977 Schwinn Volare (frame)

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I don't really care what others think about my bikes (you should see some of the stuff I ride) but the bike I test rode had the factory drop bars on it and they were a lot wider than my other bars and I liked that so if/when I get one I'll probably go with the factory jobs they were really comfortable.I was mostly curious about how others had outfitted their LHT. I just need many hand position options since I get numbness for neck and back and wrist issues so I'm almost constantly changing positions. I like the look of the upright bars though pretty cool I also prefer that blue color to the kida puke green they have this year.
Old 06-09-09, 10:50 PM
High cholesterol

Bikes: Bikes: Trek 730, Panasonic Dx-1000, Giant Cypress, Specialized Crossroads (wife's)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I just put North Road type bars on my commuter ('95 Trek 430). It's more comfortable for my hands and wrists, but a little less comfortable on my butt because of the more upright position. That may make a difference when choosing a saddle to go with your new handlebars.

Depending on the particular brand of bars, you may not have many choices of hand positions - I have the the Velo Orange Tourist bars, and they're really only comfortable out at the grips. The radius of the curved part is too small for my hands, and the straight area near stem is barely a hand's width long and slopes with the rise of the handlebars. I wear size large to extra large gloves - if your hands are smaller you may have more choices.

With that said, I still like them, and I like the look. I may wait a while to get the grip streamers and the Hello Kitty stickers...
Old 06-10-09, 10:07 AM

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I have Moustache bars on my Riv which is not all that far off in style.
Ride what you like!

Old 06-10-09, 03:42 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
why not?

I wouldn't do it, but only because they would put me in a geezer position on the bike. If you're cruising around on the flats they'd work on any bike I guess. The LHT is a chameleon. Mine has flipped Mary bars and Paul thumbies. Looks dope to me, has a couple hand positions, plenty of leverage for carrying cargo/kids, and gets the bars down to where I can put the power down. I think I would quit riding if I had to ride these stacks of spacers/high-bar setups I see some people posting here. Does nobody ride up or down hills or for more than 10 minutes?

The cool thing about the LHT is that you can set it up with any kind of bars. I took advantage of the barcons, which I don't like on drop bars, to rock thumb shifters, which I like a lot. I just can't see ever wanting my bars higher than saddle-height. Anything higher than a few inches below saddle height and it feels like some *****clown filled my tires and quads with cement.
Old 06-01-15, 10:07 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
who cares what people think do what you like

Originally Posted by Dan Burkhart
Who cares what the style nazis think. If that's what you want, well, ya know what? It's your bike!

Well, I am sure this is an old thread but I found it by looking for photos of what my LHT is going to look like with my new albatross bars.

I have had drops on it but recently went down with a really bad back issue and have been told that if I want to ride my bikes they have to be more upright. I had long ago cut my head tube down so I opted to pretty much do the exact same thing as the bike in the photo.

Albatross bars with end shifters, cork grips.

I should get my bike back today and I am excited because I never was very fast on the LHT and I think that because of the drops, when I was dropped by road bikers they thought I was just slow.. in the back of my mind I was thinking.. well if I had my carbon fiber roubaix, I would keep up no problem... the new bars will send a little message.. Nope, I am not in that race.. whatever race you are in.

I know I said in the title, who cares what they thing, but really, I hope that they think that I am no longer going for speed, but for fun.

Old 06-01-15, 12:19 PM

Bikes: Scott Genius, Surly Crosscheck, Yuba Mundo cargo, Specialized Dolce Triple (stolen 5/8/15)

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
so many cross checks and LHTs outfitted like this in the NYC metro area. you are not alone