Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

please help identify my peugeot road bike

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-04, 11:06 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hi,

The color scheme is white with a lion emblem on the front.

Serial #
PHLE1060

Fork sticker "Carbolite 103"

Frame sticker "HLE"

Shifter - "sachs - huret - rival"

Brake "Weinmann"

Pedels "Nervan"

Rims and handles seem to be aluminum as they have no rust around the random scratches

The reason I bought this bike is because "PEUGEOT" is emblazened in big letters. I needed a relatively light commuter bike for school, AND want the young republicans to see me riding an ovious French bike. (very important). It serves a dual purpose.

best,
Brian
Old 10-05-04, 04:59 PM
Vello Kombi, baby

Bikes: 1973 Eisentraut; 1970s Richard Sachs; 1978 Alfio Bonnano; 1967 Peugeot PX10

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 13 Posts
This may help narrow it down:

https://home.wanadoo.nl/peugeotshow/

Your bike is from sometime in the eighties. The carbolite 103 puts it at the lower end of the Peugeot line; no great shame, they make fine commuters. Your bike is similar to a Gablier I bought a while back, but I think yours is a model or two up the line from that one. If you think your bike is light, pick up a PX10 sometime.

The second line of the serial number "PHLE1060" is the model number, I think yours is from 84, though I'm not sure. That would be about right for the decal scheme. Info on reading Peugeot serial numbers is here:

https://www.classicrendezvous.com/Fra...10_history.htm

Enjoy!

Waste your money! Buy my comic book!
Old 10-05-04, 06:16 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
the entire bike is not carbolite, just the fork. The frame is high limit elastic steel or "HLE" , handles and rims are aluminum.

I checked out that site and the pictures are too grainy to make out any writing.
Old 10-05-04, 06:27 PM
Vello Kombi, baby

Bikes: 1973 Eisentraut; 1970s Richard Sachs; 1978 Alfio Bonnano; 1967 Peugeot PX10

HLE was the replacement for carbolite; also used on the lower end models. Carbolite replaced the "tube special allegre peugeot". The higher end Peugeots had Vitus or Reynolds tubing, with Columbus on a couple of occasions.

You can enlarge the pictures on the dutch site, just position your mouse on them and a little enlarge button should show up in the lower right hand corner. However, the writing is in Dutch, or Nethlandese, or whatever. You sort of have to interpert it. The 84 catalog is incomplete, you may want to check the surrounding years.

Old 10-05-04, 06:45 PM

Bikes: 1969 Peugeot U08, unknown MTB circa 1980, '93? Merckx MX-Leader

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Poq,

You and John E seem to know all. Where does a UO8 fall in the heirarchy of Peugeot quality?

Tyson
Proud owner and rider of a UO8 circa 1968 or so.
Old 10-05-04, 07:45 PM
Vello Kombi, baby

Alas, I do not know it all. John E. may. The basic peugeot line-up of the seventies, in order of quality, best last:

UO8,UO9,UO10 (same basic frame, differing components)
PA10 (gussied up UO8, really no better than the above)
PR/PK10 (531 main tubes)
PX10 (all 531)

Stuck at various places are folders, weird citybikes the US never saw, etc, plus a few odd models like the PFN10E (vitus double butted frameset), a very nice mid-range ride, falling right around the PR/PK as a frame, but a bit lower in terms of componentry.

My knowledge is largely limited to the bikes I've run into, either repairing them for friends or my own personal bikes. Since I started out on a Peugeot 25 years ago, I'm kind of partial to them and thus have learned something about the marquee. I like the UO8s personally; I have one I built into a sub 50$ fixed gear and I ride it a lot... it's a great beater and all purpose bike, and has those cool stepped lugs to boot. I am a sucker for a nice old lugged bike.

Old 10-05-04, 09:38 PM

Bikes: 1969 Peugeot U08, unknown MTB circa 1980, '93? Merckx MX-Leader

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
(Solobrian, I'm not trying to hijack your thread, but maybe we both can learn some moe here.)

Poq, I love my U08 (at least that what I think I have, the serial numbers were ground off by the previous thief/owner). I am worried about rust, though. I repainted it twenty years ago, and it is time to consider it again. In places some pitting has taken place. Is it a concern? What about "wearing out" one of these bikes? Is it likely?

Tyson
Old 10-05-04, 10:06 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
i noticed a lot of guys on peugeot threads hate CARBOLITE with a passion. They never spare an opportunity to retort "oh its just plain guage steel". The moment pogue saw "carbolite" in my post he began salavating and immedietly replied. If you would of read one line further it said the FORK was carbolite, the rest HLE. It was rather amusing to see you pounce reflexively.

These peugeot threads always end up at "you are PX or nothing" 20 years from now are cannondale R600s going to be bashed? This is sad....
Old 10-06-04, 11:00 AM

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Anyone know about the mid-range 80s models? Mine is Reynolds 501, although I suspect just the main triangle. Seamed forks, FWIW
Old 10-06-04, 08:05 PM
Vello Kombi, baby

"These peugeot threads always end up at "you are PX or nothing""

Never said that, nor has anyone else. I've stated your bike was a fine bike. They (carbolite, HLE, tube special allegre Peugeot) are what they are-- good, all purpose beaters. Yours is excellent for the purpose you have stated. HLE is on the same level as carbolite, sorry-- it's another propriatary plain guage Peugeot used. It's a fact it was used on the lower end of the Peugeot line.

If you'd like me to dog your bike, I gladly will. But I regularly ride a carbolite bicycle and have had no problem with it. I have also riden a number of other Peugeots on a regular basis. Here is what I currently own of the Peugeot line:

1967 PX10 (reynolds 531)
1972 PX10 (reynolds 531)
1973 PX10 E (reynolds 531, converted to fixed gear)
1973 UO8 (tube special peugeot, converted to fixed gear)
1976 U010 (carbolite 103)
1979 PFN10E (vitus 171 DB steel)
1979 PKN10E (reynolds 531 main tubes)

Plus a few spare frames. Some of these bikes have been in my possesion for 25 years. All of the above are ridden regularly. I've got a pretty good idea of the relative qualities of the various Peugeot frames.

While it may be easy to imagine the emotions of other posters on the internet, I would suggest that your imagination is overactive, especially about the plain guage steel and my "drooling" response. It wasn't a reflexive pounce, even close. What it was was a simple mistake-- not that there's much difference between carbolite and HLE.

I have yet to wear out any of my bikes, BTW, although I have some worries about the 73 PX10E, which was a mess when I found it.

Old 10-07-04, 05:04 AM
8speed DinoSORAs

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
For what it's worth I bought a very similar bike (as a commuter) which eventually prompted me to get more into cycling. The Carbolite 103 frame is all that remains of the original, repainted and fitted out with 8 speed Sora double groupset (downtube shifters). Wheels are CXP33 on MTB hubs for wihter reliability. Not a light bike, but a perfect fit and a very reliable, comfortable ride. I love her to bits - she is the bike I used to learn about bikes!

Cheers,

Ed
Old 10-17-04, 12:59 PM

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 413 Post(s)
Liked 109 Times in 78 Posts
Here is a mid 80's lineup....

CY10FC...top of the line FRAMESET ONLY Carbon and Aluminum
PZ10.......Reynolds 531 Campy Super Record 21.2 lbs
PX10.......Columbus SLX Mavic grouppo 21.0 lbs
PSN10.....Mont Cenis Super Vitus 980 Campy Victory 21.6lbs
Triathlon..Super Vitus 980 Shimano 105 21.7 lbs
Galaxie....bonded aluminum...recalled Shimano 105 19.8lbs
Comete...bonded aluminum recalled French Comp. 19.9lbs
PH501.....Ventoux Reynolds 501 french comp. 22.8lbs
PH10LE...Tourmalet HLE tubing French comp. 24.5lbs
P8..........Avoriaz HLE French Comp. 26.5lbs.
P6..........Iseran HLE French Comp. 26.5
P4..........Corbier HLE French Comp. 28.0

Notice there is a 25% weight reduction from the 28lb P4 to the PX10.
CY10FC, PZ10, PSN10 and the Triathlon all have the same geometry

Last edited by miamijim; 10-17-04 at 01:02 PM. Reason: more info
Old 10-25-04, 01:58 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Miamijim,

Here's what you say about the Comete:

Comete...bonded aluminum recalled French Comp. 19.9lbs

Does the "recalled" mean that the Comete was recalled because of some safety concern? I'm asking because I recently bought a Comete.

Thanks,
cdunn
Old 10-25-04, 03:40 PM

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 413 Post(s)
Liked 109 Times in 78 Posts
cdun.....Heres my recolection of the Comete/Galaxie issue. The frames tubes, seat, top, down and all 4 stays were joined to the lugs without a bonding agent or without welds. Peugeot called it the 'Pechiney' process.

Quote form the catalogue "The assembly of the frame is performed with a special, patented technique that fits the tubes into the lugs without the use of any bonding process such as welding or glue."

Basicly they were press fit together. When Peugeot decided to pull out of the American market they recalled all of the Comete/Galaxie bikes to clear themselves of any future possible litigation. (they were worried about future lawsuits) I asked if there were any frame failures which helped lead to this decision and was told 'no'. Do you think they'd actually say 'yes'? I worked at the dealer thast handled the nationwide recall. We literally sawed some of the frames in half.

The Galaxy/Cometes were replaced with the current year Triathlon model. The Traithlons had Super Vitus 980 frames and forks with shimano 105 componentry.

Heres your stock componetry:
Headset: Peugeot sealed
Handlebar: Alloy engraved
Stem: Atax PSC90
Brakes: Weinmann 570
Crankset: Nervar 3020 42X52
Pedal: Maillard CX 550
Chain: Sedisport silver
Freewheel: 6-speed Maillard helicomatic
Hubs: Maillard 550
Rims: Velotech by Mavic
Tires: Michelin select
Derailleurs: Huret Rival
Saddle: Mondia Italia
Seat post: Alloy micro Adjust
Old 06-28-17, 11:04 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Peugeot Bike

My Peugeot is a ten speed made with primarily simplex and weimann parts but I cant seem to identify it's year. I found it two days ago it the countryside lying in the middle of a field and in pretty good condition.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
IMG_5665.jpg (94.2 KB, 98 views)
File Type: jpg
IMG_5666.jpg (88.8 KB, 98 views)