Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

700c rim questions

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

700c rim questions

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-11, 08:14 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
700c rim questions

I got a pair of rim where the joins isnt 100%. if i were to look under the light, i can see a hairline gap. its joined at the sidewalls. Is it normal?

The internal of the rim is 19mm whats the range and largest tire it can fit? 45c?

Last edited by zzzzz; 01-05-11 at 08:23 PM.
Old 01-05-11, 08:18 PM
Lost Again

Bikes: Soma Saga, 1991 Sirrus, Specialized Secteur Elite, Miele Umbria Elite.

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I think your second question is about tire size. Go here https://www.sheldonbrown.com/tire_sizing.html#width

Last edited by gitarzan; 01-05-11 at 08:23 PM.
Old 01-05-11, 08:22 PM

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by zzzzz
I got a pair of rim where the joins isnt 100%. if i were to look under the light, i can see a hairline gap. its joined at the sidewalls. Is it normal?
That's fairly normal for non-welded rims. But you don't need to fret. Once the spokes are tightened up, there is a lot of force pulling the rim towards the center of the wheel and whatever gap you have at the joint will disappear.

Originally Posted by zzzzz
The internal of the rim is 19mm whats the range and largest it can fit?
Are you asking what the maximum width of a tire that can fit on a 19mm wide rim is?
Old 01-05-11, 08:26 PM
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,357 Times in 863 Posts
+1 once you tension up all the spokes the gap closes..
the extrusion has a place for pins in the rim to span the gap.
Old 01-05-11, 11:22 PM
we be rollin'

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 227 Post(s)
Liked 25 Times in 24 Posts
Just my own opinion on 700x45 tires. I have Kenda Keen Commuter tires and I'd say they're almost TOO big. I mean I wanted big, but not that much. Now I think 700x42 is probably the most I'd go.

For much longer distances, I'm now considering maybe 37, 38 or even 40 although I find 35 too thin when hitting railroad tracks (or other bumps).
Old 01-07-11, 10:28 AM
Bicycles are for Children

Bikes: The kind with two wheels

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The only accurate way to find out what tires will fit on the bike is also the most expensive way: Buy the tires and put them on the rims, then put the rims on the bike. Even if the rims will hold the tire, there is no guarantee that the bike will hold the rims with the tire on. As Sheldon Brown has pointed out, tiring sizes and standards vary from company to company, so anyone who gives you an exact number as an answer may not know what he/she is talking about. There are two main areas where you might run into a problem here:

1. The width of the chainstays and seatstays in the back; if these are very narrow (i.e. close to each other), your large tire may rub against them (especially if the wheel isn't completely true.

2. If you have cantilever brakes installed, is there enough clearance between the body of the brake and the tire?

3. If you have some other sort of braking system, is there enough clearance between the top of the tire and the bridge between the two seatstays?

I would recommend talking to your local bike shop (LBS) and asking them what their return policy is on tires. They may let you buy a new set of tires, install them on your bike, and return them unused if you immediately realize that they don't fit