Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Exa-drive 8 speed wheel modernization

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-11, 03:11 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I got an unused campy 8 speed wheelset with an exa drive freehub body built on open pro's for a good price thinking I could put a newer freehub body for 10 speed on it that I had sitting around and dish the wheel. When I pulled the old freehub off and went to put the new one in, the part where the pawls is larger than the old and therefore I can't install it. Does anyone know if there is a modern freehub (shimano or campy as I haven't got the rest of the drive train yet) that can be installed on those wheels to modernize them? I was looking at these by miche, which look like the diameter of the pawls is smaller.
Does anyone have any experience with modernizing these older hubs? Thank you.

Last edited by paulypaul; 01-06-11 at 03:14 PM. Reason: Add question.
Old 01-06-11, 09:48 PM
Used to be Conspiratemus

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 297 Post(s)
Liked 245 Times in 163 Posts
I think you are going to have to resign yourself to enjoying your 8-speed wheel. 8-speed Record cassettes come up on eBay. I found some really nice 8-speed Record Ergoshifters from a guy in France. But down-tube friction shifters work very well with 8-speed setups too. The apex of Campy's development for us ordinary guys was their 8-speed groups. They are the B-52s of Ergo: pretty soon the stuff will be older than the guys riding it, and still going strong.
Old 01-06-11, 09:53 PM
cab horn

Bikes: 1987 Bianchi Campione

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked 28 Times in 20 Posts
Originally Posted by conspiratemus1
I think you are going to have to resign yourself to enjoying your 8-speed wheel. 8-speed Record cassettes come up on eBay. I found some really nice 8-speed Record Ergoshifters from a guy in France. But down-tube friction shifters work very well with 8-speed setups too. The apex of Campy's development for us ordinary guys was their 8-speed groups. They are the B-52s of Ergo: pretty soon the stuff will be older than the guys riding it, and still going strong.
8 speed "miche" cassettes and also 8 speed campy compatible BBB cassettes are available as well.
Old 01-06-11, 10:02 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
not all campagnolo 8spd hubs can be updated to 10spd. i am not experienced in the update, but it sounds like you are out of luck.

like others posted, campy 8spd is great stuff and lasts forever. we actually just built up a bike with NOS 8spd derailleurs, crankset, bb, and a used wheelset. we didnt have any 8spd shifters, but dia-compe's micro ratchet levers work great with it.
Old 01-07-11, 12:16 AM

Bikes: 97 Litespeed, 50-39-30x13-26 10 cogs, Campagnolo Ultrashift, retroreflective rims on SON28/PowerTap hubs

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 550 Post(s)
Liked 326 Times in 226 Posts
Originally Posted by paulypaul
I got an unused campy 8 speed wheelset with an exa drive freehub body built on open pro's for a good price thinking I could put a newer freehub body for 10 speed on it that I had sitting around and dish the wheel. When I pulled the old freehub off and went to put the new one in, the part where the pawls is larger than the old and therefore I can't install it.
Right. Campagnolo switched their Chorus/Record rear hubs from 10mm steel axles to over-sized aluminium axles in 1999, and Centaur/Daytona in 2000. 2007 kept the same axle diameter but got a minor change on the freehub end.

Lighter but not as attractive as the older 8 speed hubs (Campagnolo reached their aesthetic pinnacle in the C-Record era and retained it through the first generation ergo gruppos).

Does anyone know if there is a modern freehub (shimano or campy as I haven't got the rest of the drive train yet) that can be installed on those wheels to modernize them?
Yes. I upgraded both of my 1996 Chorus hubs to 9/10 speed when Campagnolo discontinued my favorite 8-speed cassette. Some people have even run 11 speed on the older hubs with a 9/10 speed lockring.

1997-1998 Record and Chorus, 1998-1999 Athena and Veloce have 10mm steel axles and freehubs with the 9/10/11 spline speed pattern. 2000 Veloce hubs have a different axle/bearing setup and will not swap.

They also use a CS201 (12 and larger first position) or CS301 (11t) lock ring with a 26x1mm thread instead of the newer 27x1mm standard or older 29x1mm 8 speed lock ring.

New freehubs disappeared about 10 years ago; so you'll probably have to buy an appropriate used hub, swap freehubs, and sell the left overs.

It'll have have conventional sized lock nut + cone wrench flats on the non-drive side and aluminum freehub body. Avoid Record Titanium and Alloy 8 speed hubs which use a slightly different spline pattern

A single wide bolt flat is a cartridge bearing hub (all 2000 and newer non-oversized hubs, some older hubs below Veloce) with a different freehub that won't swap.

The large 3-sided nut with a pinch bolt goes with an over-sized axle and one of two different incompatible freehubs.

Last edited by Drew Eckhardt; 01-07-11 at 12:38 AM.
Old 01-07-11, 12:31 AM

Bikes: 97 Litespeed, 50-39-30x13-26 10 cogs, Campagnolo Ultrashift, retroreflective rims on SON28/PowerTap hubs

Originally Posted by thirdgenbird
not all campagnolo 8spd hubs can be updated to 10spd. i am not experienced in the update, but it sounds like you are out of luck.
No, they just take different parts.

like others posted, campy 8spd is great stuff and lasts forever. we actually just built up a bike with NOS 8spd derailleurs, crankset, bb, and a used wheelset. we didnt have any 8spd shifters, but dia-compe's micro ratchet levers work great with it.
The rear derailleur pivots wear out (and new 9/10 speed with tension adjustment on the cage have a different pull ratio so they don't interchange. OTOH, some people do get 50K miles out of a derailleur), the right shifter springs (discontinued apart from the G-springs) wear out, the right shifter G-spring carriers crack (discontinued), and Campagnolo discontinued most of the 8 speed cassette variants. The hub bearings are good for decades though.

Starting with new 9 (rounded hood ergo levers, the 1997 pointy hooded levers still use v1 ergo internals which have mostly been discontinued) or 10 speed (perhaps 2010 levers, last of 10 speed Ultrashift and without the weak detents from 2009. I bought a pair of 2010 Centaur carbon levers before the supply runs out) are better ideas for parts availability.

When you import your nickel plates cassettes from the UK 10 speed cassettes can still be found for under $40.

Last edited by Drew Eckhardt; 01-07-11 at 02:59 PM.
Old 01-07-11, 12:32 AM

Originally Posted by conspiratemus1
I think you are going to have to resign yourself to enjoying your 8-speed wheel. 8-speed Record cassettes come up on eBay.
$42 each regular price brand new from Ribble or $33 with a 20% discount. Probably beats E-bay.
Old 01-07-11, 11:50 PM
Used to be Conspiratemus

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 297 Post(s)
Liked 245 Times in 163 Posts
Yes, even though 13-26 is out of stock at Ribble, 26T cogs last a long time and could be moved onto successive new 13-23 cassettes, no? (removing one of the middle cogs of course.)
A fountain of information is this thread!
Old 01-08-11, 12:06 AM

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Drew Eckhardt
No, they just take different parts.

The rear derailleur pivots wear out (and new 9/10 speed with tension adjustment on the cage have a different pull ratio so they don't interchange. OTOH, some people do get 50K miles out of a derailleur), the right shifter springs (discontinued apart from the G-springs) wear out, the right shifter G-spring carriers crack (discontinued), and Campagnolo discontinued most of the 8 speed cassette variants. The hub bearings are good for decades though.

Starting with new 9 (rounded hood ergo levers, the 1997 pointy hooded levers still use v1 ergo internals which have mostly been discontinued) or 10 speed (perhaps 2010 levers, last of 10 speed Ultrashift and without the weak detents from 2009. I bought a pair of 2010 Centaur carbon levers before the supply runs out) are better ideas for parts availability.

When you import your nickel plates cassettes from the UK 10 speed cassettes can still be found for under $40.
thanks for the info on hubs. i researched this on an 8>10spd project and couldnt find concrete info.

what i should have said was 8spd campy is very durable. we have 3 bikes in our family that run 8spd campagnolo and they still perform great. in this time, we have gone through shimano 8, shimano 9, and campagnolo 10 and in my experience the campagnolo 8 will outlast them all.

i have heard people talk about the g sping carriers cracking, but i have not seen it. i recently converted a set of 8spd record titanium levers to 10spd and they shift fantastic. i would say they are a little crisper than normal (non red) record 10 levers. if the spring carrier were to crack on these i would be heart broken.

is it possible to fit the 10spd g-spring carrier to fit an 8spd lever? the only difference i can recall is an extra rearward facing tab on the 10spd for the rear "coil spring". without seeing the parts side by side, i think a little dremel work could make it work.
Old 01-08-11, 05:59 AM
cs1

Bikes: Specialized, Schwinn

Quoted: 225 Post(s)
Liked 27 Times in 25 Posts
It's an easy swap to update any steel axle 8 sp Chorus and below to 10 sp. Xenon, Mirage, Veloce, Athena and Chorus all used the same steel cassette hub body. I did the upgrade for about $75 in parts a few years ago. You need to have the wheel redished though. If you can't find the cassette hub anymore just buy an old Veloce/Mirage 10 sp hub for about $35 new on ebay. In retrospect, it would have been cheaper to just buy the entire hub than the cassette hub body. That way you get spare ball bearings axle and skewer. Good luck.
Old 01-10-11, 12:30 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
You need to have the wheel redished though. If you can't find the cassette hub anymore just buy an old Veloce/Mirage 10 sp hub for about $35 new on ebay. In retrospect, it would have been cheaper to just buy the entire hub than the cassette hub body. That way you get spare ball bearings axle and skewer. Good luck.
End quote

So the newer mirage freehubs will fit? How old is older? For example, is this one likely to fit?: https://cgi.ebay.com/CAMPAGNOLO-MIRAG...item5d2d009762

Thanks,
Old 01-10-11, 12:37 PM
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,359 Times in 865 Posts
10 speed Hub, lace up another wheel, enjoy paying a lot more for all the spare parts, in the future..

8 speed chains are comparatively Cheap.
Old 01-10-11, 12:39 PM

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
That looks to be the newer sealed bearing hub. According to drew that will not work.
Old 01-11-11, 03:47 AM
cs1

Bikes: Specialized, Schwinn

Quoted: 225 Post(s)
Liked 27 Times in 25 Posts
Originally Posted by thirdgenbird
That looks to be the newer sealed bearing hub. According to drew that will not work.
If the cassette hub body doesn't work then just have the whole hub laced to the current rim. This is really an easy fix as far as Campy goes. If you have a few more bucks to spend buy some Campy wheels.

Khamsins are $175 https://www.totalcycling.com/index.ph...urrency&id=USD

Scirocco's are under $400 https://www.amazon.com/Campagnolo-Sci.../dp/B001N89VAI

You can't make wheels as good as those for the price. Good luck