Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

'84 Norco Avanti SL Build Progress

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-11, 11:49 PM

Bikes: Surly Long haul Trucker with front and rack Nice Racks, 1984 Colnago Sport, 1983 Raleigh Condor

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

So I've got a good bit of work done on this in the past 2 nights. Being in a city where you don't know anyone really helps you get a lot of your hobby work done.

Dearailleurs cleaned up and polished
Shifters and bracket same
Free wheel cleaned and lubed
Dork disk polished up
headset repacked
Rear hub repacked

The BB was a crappy design. The ball bearings weren't in a cage but they were held permanently in the cup! There was a piece pressed into the cup so that it is impossible to remove the ball bearings to really clean the bearing race. On top of this the spindle had some dents/chips/marks right on the cone that made me cringe. With the damage to the spindle and the inability to properly clean the bearings I've decided to buy a cartridge BB for this. The rest of the bike will be original (except maybe pedals, seatpost, and saddle), I've even keeping the old bartape on it! Save for one small tear it's in great condition and looks really sharp.

All bike shops and MEC are closed in Halifax Sundays (wtf...) so the finishing of the build will have to wait until I can get my new BB. I also may have to order in white brake cable housing, or I may reuse the old stuff as it's not in real bad shape.