Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

1976 Raleigh Sprite, need some help fixing 'er up!

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-11, 12:24 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hi folks,

I'm brand spanking new to the forums and to bike-restoration!

I picked up this very cool bike on craigslist today and I need some help getting it in tip-top shape. Everything is original except the seat (sadly) but needs some of those parts replaced. It's in good condition otherwise, a few spots of surface rust but nothing terrible. I have done some bike repairs in the past, I know my way around basic repairs such as replacing brake cables/pads, putting on a new chain, etc. but I am by no means an experienced bike repair person!

I am quite broke though and I need a functional bike for transportation around town (and it can't hurt if it's stylish!) - can't afford to just send it to a repair guy, and so here I am I am not so much interested in "restoring" it in terms of it being all original, I just need it to work good

The brakes definitely need new cables, but I'm fairly certain it needs new brake levers, too. I have researched a bit about the self-adjusting brakes of the Raleigh and frankly, I have no interest in trying to preserve them Not that they're all bad, I have heard good things too, but just looking at them I have no idea what I am dealing with, I wouldn't even know where to begin getting them working good (which they definitely do not as of right now - they technically "work", but barely. Part of that is needing new pads and cables, but the right lever is definitely lunched).

So I need help from someone who can tell me what a good brand/style of brake levers would be a good fit for this bike - I need as cheap as possible, but I don't want to compromise safety, either. I have never changed out brake levers before (just the cables/housing) so I don't know what I'm looking for in terms of a good (but cheap!) set of levers. I'm fine with buying used/vintage if anyone has any suggestions.

Thank you, I'm sure I will have many more questions as I go through this but I have a feeling I may have a new hobby on the horizon (like I need that! ) As I was scrubbing her down today with a toothbrush and getting to know all her little quirks, I was finding myself quite content - even when I was frustrated trying to figure out those damn adjustable brakes This is going to be a major labour of love.. I'm falling for her already!
Old 03-28-11, 12:32 AM
Rustbelt Rider

Bikes: 1990 Trek 1420 - 1978 Raleigh Professional - 1973 Schwinn Collegiate - 1974 Schwinn Suburban

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 261 Post(s)
Liked 372 Times in 177 Posts
Welcome to the forum! What color is your sprite?

As far as break levers there are a lot of affordable and safe options. Vintage weinmann and diacompe levers would fit the bill. They should be easily found and pretty cheap... possibly 10 dollars and under.

Velo-orange sells brand new levers modeled after the vintage ones for a very reasonable $11.00 per pair.
https://store.velo-orange.com/index.p...es-levers.html
"(@)'(@)"""''"**|(@)(@)*****''(@)
Old 03-28-11, 12:36 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Awesome, thanks that is exactly what I'm looking for

My bike is yellow
Old 03-28-11, 04:10 AM
Membership Not Required

Bikes: Giant Excursion, Raleigh Sports, Raleigh R.S.W. Compact, Motobecane? and about 20 more! OMG

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 15 Posts
Originally Posted by Chiclet
Awesome, thanks that is exactly what I'm looking for

My bike is yellow
Got pictures?
I have a yellow Sprite that has seen better days.

Aaron

ISO: A late 1980's Giant Iguana MTB frameset (or complete bike) 23" Red with yellow graphics.

"Cycling should be a way of life, not a hobby.
RIDE, YOU FOOL, RIDE!"
_Nicodemus

"Steel: nearly a thousand years of metallurgical development
Aluminum: barely a hundred
Which one would you rather have under your butt at 30mph?"
_krazygluon
Old 03-28-11, 07:08 AM

Bikes: 1966 Paramount | 1971 Raleigh International | ca. 1970 Bernard Carre | 1989 Waterford Paramount | 2012 Boulder Brevet | 2019 Specialized Diverge

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 129 Post(s)
Liked 78 Times in 41 Posts
I picked up a 1975 Sprite in stunning condition last summer. I sold it to one of my sons friends who (I hope) is taking great care and pride in his vintage ride. I've got some nicely detailed pictures if you need any for reference.
Old 03-28-11, 07:25 AM
Rustbelt Rider

Bikes: 1990 Trek 1420 - 1978 Raleigh Professional - 1973 Schwinn Collegiate - 1974 Schwinn Suburban

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 261 Post(s)
Liked 372 Times in 177 Posts
Those are fun looking bikes, my wife would probably love to have something bright yellow like that. Too bad for her, she gets blue and i'm not fixing anything else up!
"(@)'(@)"""''"**|(@)(@)*****''(@)
Old 03-28-11, 08:26 AM

Bikes: Many. Ralieigh sports`s, Raleigh Superbe, sears Spaceliner, Firestone supercruisers, many vintage mountain bikes, random cruisers, and other unique bikes.

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
This is proberly what you have, if not close to this, I have three of these, this one and two girls ones that are green, if it is the same let me know what needs replacing and i'll take close up pictures of the parts for you.

This is a glider but it's a replica of a sprite in every way it's also raleigh it's just rebranded.
Old 03-28-11, 02:10 PM
Extraordinary Magnitude

Bikes: 1978 Trek TX700; 1978/79 Trek 736; 1984 Specialized Stumpjumper Sport; 1984 Schwinn Voyageur SP; 1985 Trek 620; 1985 Trek 720; 1986 Trek 400 Elance; 1987 Schwinn High Sierra; 1990 Miyata 1000LT

Mentioned: 86 Post(s)
Quoted: 2611 Post(s)
Liked 1,730 Times in 945 Posts
Between the DiaCompe brakes and the Weinmann levers on my Sprite- knocked 11 pounds off the bike.

Commence to jigglin’ huh?!?!

"But hey, always love to hear from opinionated amateurs." -says some guy to Mr. Marshall.
Old 03-28-11, 05:01 PM

Bikes: 1971 Raleigh DL-1, 1979 Raleigh Cameo, 1980's Raleigh Rapide Mixte

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Sounds like a fun project, best of luck! Oh, and post some photos.
Old 03-28-11, 05:27 PM

Bikes: '02 Litespeed, '99 Bianchi Alfana. '91 Fuji Saratoga, '84 Peugeot Canyon Express, '82 Moto GR, '81 Fuji America, '81 Fuji Royale; '78 Bridgestone Diamond Touring, '76 Fuji America, plus many more!

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 182 Post(s)
Liked 226 Times in 129 Posts
Originally Posted by HSean
This is a glider but it's a replica of a sprite in every way it's also raleigh it's just rebranded.
The 1970 Sprite (26" wheels) using a Raleigh Sports frame. As I understand it, the later Sprites (27" wheels) shared the same frame as the Raleigh Record. I've had both versions of the Sprites, and must say HSean's is pretty decent.

More info...
https://www.sheldonbrown.com/retroraleighs/sprite.html

Great place for bargain parts and supplies...think $6 tires, $1 cables, $2/pair brake pads...
https://www.niagaracycle.com/
Old 03-28-11, 08:50 PM

Bikes: Many. Ralieigh sports`s, Raleigh Superbe, sears Spaceliner, Firestone supercruisers, many vintage mountain bikes, random cruisers, and other unique bikes.

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Mines Basicly NOS, there where tags on it when I found it in the garbageI found the manual crammed under the seat the other day, bike was just really dirty when I got it
Old 03-31-11, 11:33 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks all! I am really loving this whole restoration process - it's going well, I have made a LOT of progress and hopefully within a few weeks it'll be put back together with new tires and cables and running like a dream! Right now it's in pieces on my balcony, the bike is in great shape but man oh man I had some work cut out for me in terms of dirt and surface rust! I have become very well acquainted with copper wool, I reek of vinegar and metal polish, and I have acquired a very visible case of what I have coined "bike hands" - I had to clip all my nails off (some were ripped too short, too!), I have permanent black lining around the diameter of my nails/on my cuticles, cuts and scrapes all over my hands and I have areas of my hands where the black has permanently worn it's way into the callous in formation!

Yes, I'm a girl, and I am complaining about my new man-hands. Bear with me, I'm new

But boy oh boy, loving every minute of it. I cannot WAIT for my bike to be finished though - I am going to have a smile plastered so wide on my face, not just having a shiny vintage bike but the personal satisfaction of it all. I have literally put my blood, sweat and tears into this thing, and it's going to be like a part of me when it's done!

By the way, I have named her, "Bea" - being yellow, she resembles a bee, she's old (Bea is definitely an old lady name ), and, well, it just feels right I've purchased a pair of all-white tires, white handles, a wicker basket and an "I <heart> MY BIKE" bell, and some spoke beads like I had when I was a kid. I know. So typical. But I'm excited about it

OH and by the way RE: the adjustable breaks - turns out, if you simply remove the little spring inside, the levers work just fine and don't try to adjust. As far as I could tell so far, anyway. I will have to check for sure in actual practice, but looking at the mechanics of it I can't see any reason why they would try to self-adjust without the spring in there. So for now at least, no new levers needed. I may need to replace them eventually anyway, but there is very little bike budget left for now so unless I have to I'm not spending the money
Old 03-31-11, 11:44 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Oh and this is Bea This is right after I got her, I hadn't done anything with her yet. Right now she's all over my balcony but so far as shiny calipers, new brake pads, shiny levers, shiny handlebar, de-gunked derailleur, chain and rear gears (pedals and front gear is next), a polished rack (hee hee), and I'm working now on the rims/spokes.. taking out every spoke, polishing the chrome, polishing the spoke, putting it back in. Very tedious, long work, but looking to be worth it. This is the only pic I have on the computer of the "before" (I have some more on the camera but too lazy to upload) but I'll post some of the "after" for sure.

Old 04-01-11, 05:10 AM

Bikes: '02 Litespeed, '99 Bianchi Alfana. '91 Fuji Saratoga, '84 Peugeot Canyon Express, '82 Moto GR, '81 Fuji America, '81 Fuji Royale; '78 Bridgestone Diamond Touring, '76 Fuji America, plus many more!

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 182 Post(s)
Liked 226 Times in 129 Posts
Originally Posted by HSean
Mines Basicly NOS, there where tags on it when I found it in the garbageI found the manual crammed under the seat the other day, bike was just really dirty when I got it
A forty year old bike that was practically in the same condition as the day it was bought, and it could have wound up being crushed in the back of a garbage truck. Good thing the right guy came along to save it, since they are somewhat rare...in addition to being a great bike.
Old 04-06-11, 12:12 AM

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
I go out almost every garbage night to save bicycles, sometimes I even save department store ones! lol I got a really neat colored 72 Sports the other day, it's undergoing a upgrade, I got a dynohub for it too
Old 04-06-11, 01:50 AM

Bikes: one of each

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 12 Posts
Even department store bikes have useful parts on them.