Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

My Saturday CL Find - 1981 Centurion

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-11, 01:14 PM

Bikes: 2009 Fuji Roubaix RC; 2011 Fuji Cross 2.0; '92 Diamond Back Ascent EX

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 12 Posts

I've been looking for a road bike for my younger son to take to college with him. Requirements were that it be big and cheap (he's 6' 4" and, well, a future college student). Saturday morning I saw an ad that had just popped up on CL for what ended up being a 1981 Centurion Super Tour 15 with a 62cm frame:

I called quickly and arranged to head over to pick it up. When I arrived, the guy told me his phone had been ringing off the hook. I handed over the money and started to wheel the bike away when he asked if I wanted the rest of the stuff. He handed me a bag with the following:

Loaded it all in the car and headed home. Once home I put it on the stand and started a bit of inspection and adjusting. It was in overall great shape and had obviously had quite a few parts swapped out over the years. Frame is nothing special, Tange CroMo but not too heavy and the paint is good. The components are pretty decent:
Sugino triple crankset 52/46/34 rings; Sachs Maillard 13 - 32 freewheel; Deore DX FD; Deore LX RD; Shimano 600 7 speed indexed shifters; Diacompe calipers; Diacompe drilled levers; SR Sakae bars (w/ nice pantographing); SR Sakae stem (w/ Centurion engraved in it); SR Sakae seat post; Rigida rear rim w Sovos hub; Araya front rim with Suzue hub; Look ARC Carbo Pro clipless pedals; Terry Liberator saddle; and new-looking Continental Super Sport tires.

Swapped out the Terry Liberator saddle for a Selle San Marco Ponza I had laying around (wife wanted the Terry/son wanted racing saddle), removed the Scott aero bars (that are like brand new), replaced the foam bar covers with new cork tape and replaced the old bottle cage with the new one that was in the bag. Then let my son do some cleaning and got to here:

As luck would have it, the Sidi shoes fit my son perfectly (and are in awesome shape for their vintage) so his first ride on a road bike was also his first clipless ride. His comments? DT shifter are cool! Road bikes are awesome! Clipless is great!

The helmet is pretty much junk but the bag had some Finish Line degreaser, Finish Line lube, a Park chain tool, Park spoke wrench, two sets of levers and the new bottle cage.

Not bad for $25. Guess that's why his phone was ringing off the hook.
Old 03-28-11, 01:21 PM

Bikes: Vassago Moosknuckle Ti 29+ XTR, 90's Merckx Corsa-01 9sp Record, PROJECT: 1954 Frejus SuperCorsa

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 174 Post(s)
Liked 157 Times in 75 Posts
Nice! What a steal!
That's a great bike for your son's needs. Congrats!
Old 03-28-11, 01:30 PM
vjp

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Great deal!

If you level the saddle it will be a lot more comfortable for your son.
Old 03-28-11, 01:42 PM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 40 Times in 10 Posts
Smokin deal on a great bike, your son should get many enjoyable miles out of that one.
Old 03-28-11, 02:12 PM

Bikes: 2009 Fuji Roubaix RC; 2011 Fuji Cross 2.0; '92 Diamond Back Ascent EX

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 12 Posts
Originally Posted by vjp
If you level the saddle it will be a lot more comfortable for your son.
Yeah, I did before he rode it. This was right off the repair stand and I didn't have the bike level when I leveled the saddle.