Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

App that tells you missed your turn so go back?

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-14, 12:58 PM

Bikes: '09 Trek 2.1 * '75 Sekine * 2010 Raleigh Talus 8.0 * '90 Giant Mtb * Raleigh M20 * Fuji Nevada mtb

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Is there an Android app I can use that will tell me when I missed my turn, so that I can turn around and go back? Kind like a nagging back seat driver? Even though I'm going to ride my commute routes ahead of time, I still might miss a turn the first couple of nights riding. That would be sooooo much of a bummer.
FB4K - Every October we wrench on donated bikes. Every December, a few thousand kids get bikes for Christmas. For many, it is their first bike, ever. Every bike, new and used, was donated, built, cleaned and repaired. Check us out on FaceBook: FB4K.

Disclaimer: 99% of what I know about cycling I learned on BF. That would make, ummm, 1% experience. And a lot of posts.
Old 08-10-14, 09:34 AM

Bikes: Sam, The Hunq and that Old Guy, Soma Buena Vista, Giant Talon 2, Brompton

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 102 Post(s)
Liked 109 Times in 49 Posts
Google maps will do that. It's annoying as hell. I don't see why anybody would use it, I can look at a route and remember 3 or 4 more turns. A friend said there are also apps which will automatically split the screen and provide a street level view of an upcoming turn. It's all out there.

Marc
Old 08-10-14, 10:06 AM

Bikes: '09 Trek 2.1 * '75 Sekine * 2010 Raleigh Talus 8.0 * '90 Giant Mtb * Raleigh M20 * Fuji Nevada mtb

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I do use Google Maps a lot when driving to new locations, and when I miss the turn it will re-route, usually sending me to Arkensas or something. That is really annoying. My phone will be in my jersey pocket - not trusting it on the bars, and no stopping to look at the phone. I was looking for something other than Google Maps that will just say, "TURN AROUND YOU MISSED YOUR TURN." And ya, annoying in this case would be ok, because I wouldn't be using the blasted thing unless I was really worried about missing my turns in unfamiliar areas.

I will try to save a couple routes and try that. Addendum: I forgot about cuesheet, give multiple warnings before a turn.
FB4K - Every October we wrench on donated bikes. Every December, a few thousand kids get bikes for Christmas. For many, it is their first bike, ever. Every bike, new and used, was donated, built, cleaned and repaired. Check us out on FaceBook: FB4K.

Disclaimer: 99% of what I know about cycling I learned on BF. That would make, ummm, 1% experience. And a lot of posts.

Last edited by RoadTire; 08-10-14 at 10:15 AM.
Old 08-10-14, 11:37 AM

Bikes: Surly Long Haul Disc Trucker

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1015 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Get an iPhone and use TomTom. Offline routing. Bicycle routes. POIs. Spoken turn by turn. Prompts to accept gravel roads. Etc.