Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

Completely new to this

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Completely new to this

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-14, 04:11 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Completely new to this

So for some reason I've decided I want to start riding a bike both to and from work and I'm really excited about it. I do not currently own a bike and I'm on a fairly limited budget <$200.

I've been looking at craigslist but I really have no clue what I am looking at. I know I want a road bike and I think I'd rather have an older sturdier one than a new cheap one.

I came across this one and I was thinking about checking it out. Any tips or advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Soma 1980s ten speed mens bicycle
Old 08-19-14, 04:21 PM

Bikes: 1997 Kona Hahana Race Light, 2010 Surly LHT(deceased), 1999 Rocky Mountain Turbo

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 86 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Phaedrus80
So for some reason I've decided I want to start riding a bike both to and from work and I'm really excited about it. I do not currently own a bike and I'm on a fairly limited budget <$200.

I've been looking at craigslist but I really have no clue what I am looking at. I know I want a road bike and I think I'd rather have an older sturdier one than a new cheap one.

I came across this one and I was thinking about checking it out. Any tips or advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Welcome.

This needs a front wheel which should be doable at a local bike coop pretty cheap.

trek 7.3 fx

It is a good starter commuter (might need a new seat or just duct tape).

All the best.

I feel that once stuff starts to get too old it is harder and more frustrating/expensive to find parts to fix. Especially for someone starting out, the last thing you want to do is search for some random old replacement part.

Look for standard hub spacing (130 mm and 135 mm in the rear hub) these should be standard from the mind-90s +/-.

Also 700c (road/skinny) wheels or 26 inch (mountain bike) wheels are easier to find than 27 inch wheels prolific in the 80s

Last edited by joeyduck; 08-19-14 at 04:28 PM.
Old 08-19-14, 05:21 PM

Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 12 Posts

With all due respect, that's not an "older, sturdier" bike. It's junk. Stem shifters, "safety" levers, centerpull brakes, probably steel rims which will have no stopping power if you ride in the rain or through a puddle. It's basically a myth that older bikes are more reliable. The only time that might even be vaguely true is with old high-end bikes.

Honestly, if you really want 700c wheels, I think you would be better off buying this: SCHWINN CRISSCROSS chromoly, 700c, 21 speed bicycle

It's a decent bike from the 1990s. Or the Trek Joeyduck suggested, although you'll have to replace the saddle in addition to getting a front wheel. Replace the tires with narrower ones if you want, add some bar-ends to the handlebars and you'd still be well under $200. Go to Walmart and you can find a new helmet for $10 to 20.

Last edited by streetstomper; 08-19-14 at 05:25 PM.
Old 08-19-14, 05:36 PM

Bikes: 1997 Kona Hahana Race Light, 2010 Surly LHT(deceased), 1999 Rocky Mountain Turbo

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by streetstomper
I think you would be better off buying this: SCHWINN CRISSCROSS chromoly, 700c, 21 speed bicycle.
I missed this one, better still.

Plus everything else @streetstomper said.
Old 08-20-14, 03:12 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks very much guys I appreciate all the help.
Old 08-20-14, 03:21 PM

Bikes: Tons

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
If this fits, it'd be a great bike: SPECIAL!! TREK 800

Look for something basic and simple.
Old 08-20-14, 09:22 PM

Originally Posted by mikeybikes
If this fits, it'd be a great bike: SPECIAL!! TREK 800
He says he wants a road bike, implying he wants 700c wheels, not 26". You can't install narrow 26" tires without reducing tire diameter further and creating a rougher ride. Not to mention 700c offers a much better selection of narrow tires.
Old 08-20-14, 09:24 PM

Bikes: Tons

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by streetstomper
He says he wants a road bike, implying he wants 700c wheels, not 26". You can't install narrow 26" tires without reducing tire diameter further and creating a rougher ride.
Last I checked, you can put that bike on the road
Old 08-20-14, 09:40 PM

Thanks very much guys I appreciate all the help.
I do think that a bike with flat bars is better suited for a beginner than drop bars. You won't be comfortable on drops. It takes quite some time to develop the strength and flexibility to take advantage of drop bars. Part of the reason flat bars are pretty common on city bikes, single speeds and recent hybrids. Bar ends would give you a second hand position. If you do get flat bars and need bar ends, check eBay. Cheap, new ones can be had for less than $10, most shipping from China, but there are still a few good deals from US sellers. A multitool, also available on eBay for $10 or so, would be helpful if you want to make adjustments and do light maintenance rather than having to take it to a local bike shop every time. Any adjustment or maintenance procedures you need to learn can be found on YouTube, on sheldonbrown.com or parktools.com.
Old 08-21-14, 02:58 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I just bought that Schwinn crisscross for $100. It's a really nice bike, at least compared to others I have looked at thanks a lot for turning me onto it. Can't wait to bike to work tomorrow morning!
Old 08-21-14, 03:10 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Great! With the money saved buy a good luck and helmet.
Old 08-21-14, 03:25 PM
Fork and spoon operator

Bikes: 2013 Surly Crosscheck, 1990 Schwinn Impact, 1973 Schwinn Continental

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 7 Posts
I'm assuming from your original post that you aren't used to fixing up bikes yourself. If that's true, I'd recommend finding a local bike shop that sells used bikes. You'll pay more than you would on craigslist, but they'll make sure all the parts work and everything is tuned up. You'll get a good quality used bike that's ready to ride, for a lot less than a new bike of similar quality.
Old 08-21-14, 04:20 PM

I just bought that Schwinn crisscross for $100. It's a really nice bike, at least compared to others I have looked at thanks a lot for turning me onto it. Can't wait to bike to work tomorrow morning!
If you have any other questions, Bikeforums has lots of users who are ready and willing to help. Any questions about commuting can go in this subforum. Anything having to do with fixing up the bike can go in the Bicycle Mechanics subforum. Don't be bashful about learning bike terminology, so ask if you don't know. Likewise with riding technique. There might be a few arrogant jerks who may look down on you, but I think most people remember that we all started out as newbies. Here's a useful thread:
https://www.bikeforums.net/commuting/...commuters.html

If and when you decide to get bar ends, you can see that there are quite a few below $10 including shipping on eBay:
https://www.ebay.com/sch/Bar-Ends-Plu...2520Ends&rt=nc

Ask here for opinions before choosing one. There will probably be differing opinions, but eventually, you'll get a feel for the general consensus.

If you think you might be caught out after dark coming home from work, you might consider buying this light:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/251466068461

Congratulations on your purchase and hope you'll enjoy commuting. Remember to keep your pedal RPMs up to spare your knees from strain. One good thing would be to check the local bike club and see if any of its members might be willing to help you learn. Not to scare you off, but there is a lot to learn in order to ride and commute safely.

P.S. Leave a bit earlier, so if the ride takes longer than you expect, you're not late to work. You'll get a good feel for how long you need after a week or two.

Last edited by streetstomper; 08-21-14 at 04:49 PM.
Old 08-21-14, 04:21 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Ditto.
Old 08-21-14, 10:16 PM

As for a lock, avoid cable locks. They're very easy to cut. This is a decent lock:
Krypotonite Evolution Orange U Lock 10" Bicycle Lock | eBay

It's bigger than ideal size, but a good, reliable model. A smaller "mini" u-lock would provide fewer chances for leverage attack and would be lighter, but there's nothing else available right now. Learn how to properly use the quick release skewers so you can remove the front wheel and lock it up with the rest of the bike. If you don't, there's the possibility somebody will steal your front wheel even if they can't get the rest of the bike.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=krhEN_FvXZI

Here's a fun video showing the pitfalls of locking up a bike.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ryY-qMFLcfo

I can't remember if that CrissCross has a quick release seatpost binder, but if it does, you may want to consider Ruzal's homemade seat chain, otherwise anyone could steal your seat and seatpost in a matter of seconds. Get your seat adjusted to the right height for full leg extension, then use a length of used roller chain (bike shops should have some worn ones to be thrown out after being replaced) wrapped in a section of old inner tube to avoid scratching your paint. They should be willing to install that "seat lock" for you for just a few bucks. Once installed, you'd need either a chain tool to get the chain apart or a set of bolt cutters, either of which is usually too much trouble just to steal the seat.

And Kryptonite's own instructions for locking, which is conventional wisdom.
https://www.kryptonitelock.com/Pages/HowtoSecure.aspx

Last edited by streetstomper; 08-23-14 at 07:57 AM.
Old 08-22-14, 08:36 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by joeyduck
Welcome.

This needs a front wheel which should be doable at a local bike coop pretty cheap.

trek 7.3 fx
I wonder if he "forgot" the front wheel at some bike rack along with lock...