Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

is it possible and/or clever to run EPS/Di2 wires through outer cable?

Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

is it possible and/or clever to run EPS/Di2 wires through outer cable?

Old 10-19-15, 01:59 AM
  #1  
fimpson
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: May 2015
Posts: 9
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
is it possible and/or clever to run EPS/Di2 wires through outer cable?

Pretty astonished that there aren't 500 results for this issue in google already???

Going to hopefully buy a cool 90's ti frame really soon so I'm figuring out how exactly to throw EPS on it.
I've read a small bit about drilling ti and am aware that spots like the end of the chainstay can be drilled without too much risk of frame death but obviously pretty much anywhere on the downtube is a different story

however this thread is NOT about the well covered topic of drilling. its an option, but I'm curious if running the wires through normal outer is actually problematic, or if its just so counter-intuitive to what EPS/Di2 is about that it hasn't occurred to anyone?

I'll be keeping everything on the frame (downtube shifter lugs + adapters etc) to have it set up for mechanical at some point in the future anyway. all those bits are in really good shape - running the wires through outer doesn't immediately jump out at me as being dangerous or silly as it makes adapting an old, non e-group frame VERY straightforward (read no adapting at all). the only downside I can see is adding weight that egroups are primarily designed to erradicate... add that to the battery, brain etc and there would be just about no point unless you have a fetish for clinically good shifting.

thoughts?
fimpson is offline  
Old 10-19-15, 02:13 AM
  #2  
trailflow1
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Posts: 442
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 130 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 21 Times in 17 Posts
The end connectors on the Di2/EPS cables would not fit through any cable outer. Unless you cut the wire and re-attached it. Even then you will still struggle to found a cable outer that's wide enough.

Also you will still have a long section of exposed cable for the downtube and chainstay. Seems like a lot of faffing for such small sections of cable.

What's wrong with just a normal external set up ? If its too much exposed cables, then how does adding normal outer make it any better ?

If you do drill the frame. The bottom bracket shell needs to have 3 holes in it also if it hasn't already.

Last edited by trailflow1; 10-19-15 at 02:56 AM.
trailflow1 is offline  
Old 10-19-15, 07:31 AM
  #3  
Andrew R Stewart 
Senior Member
 
Andrew R Stewart's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Rochester, NY
Posts: 14,918

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Raleigh Pro, Trek Cycle Cross, Mongoose tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2924 Post(s)
Liked 1,188 Times in 838 Posts
Originally Posted by fimpson View Post
Pretty astonished that there aren't 500 results for this issue in google already???

Going to hopefully buy a cool 90's ti frame really soon so I'm figuring out how exactly to throw EPS on it.
I've read a small bit about drilling ti and am aware that spots like the end of the chainstay can be drilled without too much risk of frame death but obviously pretty much anywhere on the downtube is a different story

however this thread is NOT about the well covered topic of drilling. its an option, but I'm curious if running the wires through normal outer is actually problematic, or if its just so counter-intuitive to what EPS/Di2 is about that it hasn't occurred to anyone?

I'll be keeping everything on the frame (downtube shifter lugs + adapters etc) to have it set up for mechanical at some point in the future anyway. all those bits are in really good shape - running the wires through outer doesn't immediately jump out at me as being dangerous or silly as it makes adapting an old, non e-group frame VERY straightforward (read no adapting at all). the only downside I can see is adding weight that egroups are primarily designed to erradicate... add that to the battery, brain etc and there would be just about no point unless you have a fetish for clinically good shifting.

thoughts?
Professional shops have found that throwing parts at bikes doesn't work. With the exception of pre glued sew ups the parts just fall off and clatter to the floor. Andy.
Andrew R Stewart is offline  
Old 10-19-15, 07:52 AM
  #4  
DiabloScott
It's MY mountain
 
DiabloScott's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Mt.Diablo
Posts: 9,195

Bikes: Klein, Merckx, Trek

Mentioned: 60 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2843 Post(s)
Liked 779 Times in 457 Posts
Originally Posted by trailflow1 View Post

Also you will still have a long section of exposed cable for the downtube and chainstay. Seems like a lot of faffing for such small sections of cable.
Duck/t Tape!
DiabloScott is offline  
Old 10-19-15, 08:03 AM
  #5  
bikepro
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Allen, TX
Posts: 1,916

Bikes: Look 585

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by fimpson View Post
Pretty astonished that there aren't 500 results for this issue in google already???

Going to hopefully buy a cool 90's ti frame really soon so I'm figuring out how exactly to throw EPS on it.
I've read a small bit about drilling ti and am aware that spots like the end of the chainstay can be drilled without too much risk of frame death but obviously pretty much anywhere on the downtube is a different story

however this thread is NOT about the well covered topic of drilling. its an option, but I'm curious if running the wires through normal outer is actually problematic, or if its just so counter-intuitive to what EPS/Di2 is about that it hasn't occurred to anyone?

I'll be keeping everything on the frame (downtube shifter lugs + adapters etc) to have it set up for mechanical at some point in the future anyway. all those bits are in really good shape - running the wires through outer doesn't immediately jump out at me as being dangerous or silly as it makes adapting an old, non e-group frame VERY straightforward (read no adapting at all). the only downside I can see is adding weight that egroups are primarily designed to erradicate... add that to the battery, brain etc and there would be just about no point unless you have a fetish for clinically good shifting.

thoughts?
https://www.amazon.com/Shimano-Ultegr.../dp/B0065FCPV6

This works good. I used them for a wired Power Tap.
bikepro is offline  
Old 10-19-15, 08:29 AM
  #6  
fietsbob
Banned
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: NW,Oregon Coast
Posts: 43,599

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,315 Times in 826 Posts
Consider Plastic Heat Shrink tube.
fietsbob is offline  
Old 10-19-15, 08:46 AM
  #7  
chriskmurray
Senior Member
 
chriskmurray's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Colorado Springs
Posts: 1,134

Bikes: Borealis Echo, Ground Up Designs Ti Cross bike, Xtracycle, GT mod trials bike, pixie race machine

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by trailflow1 View Post
The end connectors on the Di2/EPS cables would not fit through any cable outer. Unless you cut the wire and re-attached it. Even then you will still struggle to found a cable outer that's wide enough.

Also you will still have a long section of exposed cable for the downtube and chainstay. Seems like a lot of faffing for such small sections of cable.

What's wrong with just a normal external set up ? If its too much exposed cables, then how does adding normal outer make it any better ?

If you do drill the frame. The bottom bracket shell needs to have 3 holes in it also if it hasn't already.
This
chriskmurray is offline  
Related Topics
Thread
Thread Starter
Forum
Replies
Last Post
Caliper
Road Cycling
0
05-23-19 04:55 PM
Barrettscv
Bicycle Mechanics
11
10-16-18 01:30 PM
BazookaFro
Bicycle Mechanics
6
12-31-17 04:13 PM
FatBottomedGirl
Bicycle Mechanics
10
05-18-16 10:39 PM
Soundtallica
Bicycle Mechanics
4
10-07-15 01:37 PM

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.