Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Another Will This Crank Fit?

Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Another Will This Crank Fit?

Old 11-02-17, 09:41 AM
  #1  
Full Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 291
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 10 Posts
Another Will This Crank Fit?

I'm pretty sure I know what I'm doing but wanted to ask the experts. 2009 Cannondale Synapse with a FSA compact crank. Has threaded external BB bearings. 10 speed Shimano. Everytihng I read says yes this will work fine. Looking to change the crank with the following part.

https://www.competitivecyclist.com/s...-GY-S1725X5034

I know I will need a new BB also which I believe is BB-R9100.

Thank you for the input.

fasthair
fasthair is offline  
Old 11-02-17, 11:42 AM
  #2  
Senior Member
 
maddog34's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: NW Oregon
Posts: 2,972

Bikes: !982 Trek 930R Custom, Diamondback ascent with SERIOUS updates, Fuji Team Pro CF and a '09 Comencal Meta 5.5

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1296 Post(s)
Liked 738 Times in 533 Posts
you must first ask a question to receive an answer.
maddog34 is offline  
Old 11-02-17, 02:15 PM
  #3  
Full Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 291
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 10 Posts
@maddog34

With all due respect I'm pretty sure I did ask a question. It is right in the title of the thread. Another Will This Crank Fit?

So just to be sure... Will this crank fit my above described Cannondale?

https://www.competitivecyclist.com/s...-GY-S1725X5034

And is the BB R-9100 bottom bracket what I need to use with said crank set?

Thanks
fasthair is offline  
Old 11-02-17, 02:19 PM
  #4  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: CA SF Bay Area
Posts: 476

Bikes: 2014 CDale EVO, 2007 System Six, 2004 Litespeed Solano, 2002 Burley Duet

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
You don't "need" the BB R-9100 D/A bottom bracket. The BBR60 Ultegra will work also.
Other than that, everything will work.
turkey9186 is offline  
Old 11-02-17, 02:41 PM
  #5  
Full Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 291
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 10 Posts
Originally Posted by turkey9186
You don't "need" the BB R-9100 D/A bottom bracket. The BBR60 Ultegra will work also.
Other than that, everything will work.
I already have that BB because I was going to replace my BB earlier just because it has a ton of miles on it but it wouldn't fit the FSA crank. The axle on the FSA crank was much smaller. This the last part of the drive train that hasn't been replaced yet.

Thank you for the response,
fasthair
fasthair is offline  
Old 11-02-17, 04:46 PM
  #6  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: CA SF Bay Area
Posts: 476

Bikes: 2014 CDale EVO, 2007 System Six, 2004 Litespeed Solano, 2002 Burley Duet

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by fasthair
I already have that BB because I was going to replace my BB earlier just because it has a ton of miles on it but it wouldn't fit the FSA crank. The axle on the FSA crank was much smaller. This the last part of the drive train that hasn't been replaced yet.

Thank you for the response,
fasthair
The FSA cranks, I think, are 22 not 24 MM or the other way around. Bonus you already have the DA bottom bracket.
turkey9186 is offline  
Old 11-04-17, 01:24 PM
  #7  
Master Sarcaster
 
pesty's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: DFW, Texas
Posts: 527

Bikes: 2018 Allez Sprint, 2016 Trek Crockett Canti

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 190 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
If you already have a Shimano BB that fits your frame (external, correct threading, etc), you shouldn't have a problem with that crank fitting the frame.

I've used that same 6800 crank on four different bikes, that came with three different BBs. One of them started out with an old ISIS BB, another started out as SRAM/Bontrager/Truvativ, who's GXP BBs are very similar to FSA's MegaEXO, third was PF86, and current is OSBB. As long as you have the right BB for the frame, that crank will fit damn near anything.
pesty is offline  
Old 11-06-17, 11:33 AM
  #8  
Full Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 291
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 10 Posts
@pesty thanks for the helpful reply. As luck would have it they also have Ulterga 6800 brake kits on sale which would be a big upgrade from the cheap Treko's on it now. Short of the bifters (105) I can have a complete Ulterga group on my bike now! WOOHOO

fasthair
fasthair is offline  
Old 11-06-17, 11:41 AM
  #9  
I'm good to go!
 
Iride01's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Location: Mississippi
Posts: 14,527

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5994 Post(s)
Liked 4,625 Times in 3,190 Posts
Originally Posted by fasthair
@maddog34

With all due respect I'm pretty sure I did ask a question. It is right in the title of the thread. Another Will This Crank Fit?
In fairness to @maddog34, I have to say that I tend to ignore titles. I run across quite a few that just don't quite jive with the post.

Or I'll go totally the other way and come into the thread with a preconceived notion based on the title and miss the finer points in the post that make my answer wrong, off topic, or the nonsensical mumbling of an old fart. Which is usually what my comments are even when I'm not confused by the title.
Iride01 is offline  
Old 11-06-17, 11:51 AM
  #10  
I'm good to go!
 
Iride01's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Location: Mississippi
Posts: 14,527

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5994 Post(s)
Liked 4,625 Times in 3,190 Posts
As for the question, it should work. At worst you realize you got the wrong BB and have to send it back for another. I too used the BBR60 Ultegra with my 105 5800 crank. Leaves you ready for an 11 speed cassette on the rear. However the 105 5800 is said to be just as good in reviews I've read. Of course they are talking about the entire groupset, not just cranks alone.

Unless you are doing this as part of a slow upgrade to full Ultegra, I'm not sure I see any difference in the two besides weight. The 105 will save you almost $100 depending on how hard you search for a deal.
Iride01 is offline  
Old 11-06-17, 01:02 PM
  #11  
Full Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 291
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 10 Posts
Originally Posted by Iride01
In fairness to @maddog34, I have to say that I tend to ignore titles. I run across quite a few that just don't quite jive with the post.
Fair enough. And yes I am replacing parts as they've worn out over the seven plus years I've had the bike. The brake set just popped up on sale and they would be a nice upgrade from single pivot to dual pivot so why not. Plus, as vain as it may sound, the Ulterga stuff just looks better to my eye.

Thanks for the comment.

fasthair
fasthair is offline  
Old 11-06-17, 01:26 PM
  #12  
I'm good to go!
 
Iride01's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Location: Mississippi
Posts: 14,527

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5994 Post(s)
Liked 4,625 Times in 3,190 Posts
Originally Posted by fasthair
Plus, as vain as it may sound, the Ulterga stuff just looks better to my eye.
Not vain at all to me, aesthetics does play a role in my choices too.

I can't spring for the Ultegra as I would rather put that money into my boat's fund. Though for me the gray finish of the Ultegra is more desirable than the black that the 105 5800 is only produced in now. They did make 105 5800 in silver for a while and some is still available. But I had a very hard time finding all the parts of the 105 group in silver for my recent build.
Iride01 is offline  
Old 11-06-17, 01:35 PM
  #13  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Posts: 1,396
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 140 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Here are some good prices for Shimano Cranksets:

https://www.cambriabike.com/search?ke...105%20crankset

Even the 105 would be a nice upgrade and those are available in black or silver

Last edited by Moose; 11-06-17 at 01:41 PM.
Moose is offline  
Old 11-06-17, 01:49 PM
  #14  
I'm good to go!
 
Iride01's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Location: Mississippi
Posts: 14,527

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5994 Post(s)
Liked 4,625 Times in 3,190 Posts
Originally Posted by Moose
Even the 105 would be a nice upgrade and those are available in black or silver
Silver only while supplies last. I inquired from one online retailer and they said they are not able to get silver 105 5800 any more. When you start looking at tooth and arm length options, you'll see some combos no longer available.
Iride01 is offline  
Old 11-06-17, 02:00 PM
  #15  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Posts: 1,396
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 140 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Iride01
Silver only while supplies last. I inquired from one online retailer and they said they are not able to get silver 105 5800 any more. When you start looking at tooth and arm length options, you'll see some combos no longer available.
Looks like Cambria has them. Their website is kept pretty up to date, only allowing you to order what's in inventory and as of now, they are showing in stock.
Moose is offline  
Old 11-06-17, 02:06 PM
  #16  
Banned
 
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 6
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by turkey9186
The FSA cranks, I think, are 22 not 24 MM or the other way around. Bonus you already have the DA bottom bracket.
agree
c8000 is offline  
Old 11-06-17, 02:09 PM
  #17  
I'm good to go!
 
Iride01's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Location: Mississippi
Posts: 14,527

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5994 Post(s)
Liked 4,625 Times in 3,190 Posts
You are sort of missing my point. The stocks are running out for silver. As best I can find out, Shimano will not produce the 105 5800 in silver anymore. So as inventory runs out, not all combos are available any more. For instance you cannot get a 105 5800 in 5800 crankset with 165 mm crank arms in silver any more at Cambria in any tooth combo. You can find them at other places still, but either the price is up there with Ultegra, or the gear combo is not desirable for me.

The retailers I've asked say they can only get black now. Shimano's website only shows black for 105 5800 now.
Iride01 is offline  
Old 11-06-17, 02:28 PM
  #18  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Posts: 1,396
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 140 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Iride01
You are sort of missing my point. The stocks are running out for silver. As best I can find out, Shimano will not produce the 105 5800 in silver anymore. So as inventory runs out, not all combos are available any more. For instance you cannot get a 105 5800 in 5800 crankset with 165 mm crank arms in silver any more at Cambria in any tooth combo. You can find them at other places still, but either the price is up there with Ultegra, or the gear combo is not desirable for me.

The retailers I've asked say they can only get black now. Shimano's website only shows black for 105 5800 now.
My apologies, I did not intend to contradict your point. Thanks for the info!
Moose is offline  
Old 11-06-17, 02:37 PM
  #19  
I'm good to go!
 
Iride01's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Location: Mississippi
Posts: 14,527

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5994 Post(s)
Liked 4,625 Times in 3,190 Posts
Originally Posted by Moose
My apologies, I did not intend to contradict your point. Thanks for the info!
No need to apologize. I do in fact appreciate the link to Cambria. I'd forgotten about them and lost their link. I bought a crankset from them at a really good price quite a while back for another bike. Their prices for the 105 5800 crankset is about as good as many others are right now.
Iride01 is offline  
Old 11-06-17, 02:45 PM
  #20  
Full Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 291
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 10 Posts
Originally Posted by Moose
Here are some good prices for Shimano Cranksets:
Even the 105 would be a nice upgrade and those are available in black or silver
I would love the silver finish on my black bike with silver wheels. However back when I started this Ultegra upgrade research it became clear that if I wanted silver, I would probably end up with a group of mis-matched colored components. Silver sure would pop though.

@Iride01 A boat?!?! well that explains it

fasthair
fasthair is offline  
Old 11-06-17, 02:46 PM
  #21  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: New Jersry the beautiful Garden State
Posts: 1,942

Bikes: 2007 Ridley Excalibur, 2003 Orbea Orca, 199? Cannondale Headshock MTB hardtail

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 520 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 10 Times in 10 Posts
OP, wouldn't you also need a BB30 to 24mm adapter? Unless one came with the frameset?

Edit: Sounds like an adapter is already in the frame (external bearing crankset). So should be good to go.

Last edited by ptempel; 11-06-17 at 02:51 PM.
ptempel is offline  
Old 11-06-17, 03:58 PM
  #22  
Full Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 291
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 10 Posts
Originally Posted by ptempel
OP, wouldn't you also need a BB30 to 24mm adapter? Unless one came with the frameset?

Edit: Sounds like an adapter is already in the frame (external bearing crankset). So should be good to go.
Nope. My bike doesn't use a BB30. Just plain ol' external 68mm British (?) threaded BB. Mine is one of the last Handmade in the USA frames. 2010 they lost that nice little decal on the frames. I'm not sure when the frame was redesigned, 2011 maybe, but that is when they started using the BB30.

fasthair
fasthair is offline  
Old 11-06-17, 04:23 PM
  #23  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
Posts: 33,656

Bikes: '96 Litespeed Catalyst, '05 Litespeed Firenze, '06 Litespeed Tuscany, '20 Surly Midnight Special, All are 3x10. It is hilly around here!

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2025 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 1,091 Times in 737 Posts
Originally Posted by fasthair
@pesty As luck would have it they also have Ulterga 6800 brake kits on sale which would be a big upgrade from the cheap Treko's on it now. Short of the bifters (105) I can have a complete Ulterga group on my bike now! WOOHOO
If you get those 6800 brakes, you will want to pair them with 11-speed brifters, either 105 or Ultegra, since they require a longer cable pull than 10-speed and earlier brakes.
HillRider is offline  
Old 11-06-17, 04:43 PM
  #24  
Full Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 291
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 10 Posts
Originally Posted by HillRider
If you get those 6800 brakes, you will want to pair them with 11-speed brifters, either 105 or Ultegra, since they require a longer cable pull than 10-speed and earlier brakes.
Dang it. I had read that but I wasn't sure how much of a difference it was. I'm going to guess it is enough that it would reduce brake performance enough to be "unsafe." Would you happen to know? If so I guess I'll have to add that to the list too. I had planned on one day upgrading the bifters at some point but later rather than sooner. I have 10 speed 105 bifters on it now.

I was going to ask about the bifters because I had read that. But since this thread was about the crank and not brakes originally I didn't want to add confusion to the thread.

Thanks for speaking up about this issue!

fasthair
fasthair is offline  
Old 11-07-17, 12:49 PM
  #25  
Senior Member
 
alcjphil's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Montreal, Quebec
Posts: 5,853
Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1788 Post(s)
Liked 1,660 Times in 948 Posts
Originally Posted by fasthair
I had planned on one day upgrading the bifters at some point but later rather than sooner. I have 10 speed 105 bifters on it now.

I was going to ask about the bifters because I had read that. But since this thread was about the crank and not brakes originally I didn't want to add confusion to the thread.

Thanks for speaking up about this issue!

fasthair
Which version of 10 speed 105 brifter? The ones with hidden shift cables will work with newer brake callipers
alcjphil is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.