Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Threadless headset removal.

Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Threadless headset removal.

Old 02-14-20, 06:53 PM
  #1  
Cycle Tourist
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Posts: 384
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 120 Post(s)
Liked 27 Times in 25 Posts
Threadless headset removal.

I've been wrenching threaded headsets mostly and threadless headsets don't look too awfully difficult but I haven't seen any videos to explain this.
I pulled the bars and unclamped the stem but the bearing cups won't unscrew cause the tube is larger at the top. It obviously won't push down so how do I get to the bearings to service them. You may think I'm nuts but here are the pictures. What in the wide world of sports do I do now?

Cycle Tourist is offline  
Old 02-14-20, 07:04 PM
  #2  
dedhed
SE Wis
 
dedhed's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Milwaukee, WI
Posts: 5,709

Bikes: '68 Raleigh Sprite, '02 Raleigh C500, '84 Raleigh Gran Prix, '91 Trek 400

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 915 Post(s)
Liked 256 Times in 196 Posts
That's a threaded headset with a threadless adaptor in it rather than a normal quill stem
dedhed is offline  
Old 02-14-20, 07:05 PM
  #3  
DOS
Senior Member
 
DOS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Arlington, VA USA
Posts: 2,022
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 226 Post(s)
Liked 47 Times in 37 Posts
Originally Posted by dedhed View Post
That's a threaded headset with a threadless adaptor in it rather than a normal quill stem
I was wondering what the hell that was. If it works like a quill,does op just need to give it a wack to pop the wedge loose?
DOS is offline  
Old 02-14-20, 07:08 PM
  #4  
Cycle Tourist
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Posts: 384
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 120 Post(s)
Liked 27 Times in 25 Posts
Originally Posted by dedhed View Post
That's a threaded headset with a threadless adaptor in it rather than a normal quill stem
OK. I get that. How do you get it apart, short of a hacksaw??
Cycle Tourist is offline  
Old 02-14-20, 07:11 PM
  #5  
Cycle Tourist
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Posts: 384
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 120 Post(s)
Liked 27 Times in 25 Posts
Originally Posted by DOS View Post
I was wondering what the hell that was. If it works like a quill,does op just need to give it a wack to pop the wedge loose?
What wedge? There's no bolt to jam the wedge.
Cycle Tourist is offline  
Old 02-14-20, 07:13 PM
  #6  
dedhed
SE Wis
 
dedhed's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Milwaukee, WI
Posts: 5,709

Bikes: '68 Raleigh Sprite, '02 Raleigh C500, '84 Raleigh Gran Prix, '91 Trek 400

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 915 Post(s)
Liked 256 Times in 196 Posts
Without being able to see below the star nut, I'd suspect an allan wrench in the middle of the star nut, or remove the star nut to get at the allan holding the wedge.
dedhed is offline  
Old 02-14-20, 07:18 PM
  #7  
dedhed
SE Wis
 
dedhed's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Milwaukee, WI
Posts: 5,709

Bikes: '68 Raleigh Sprite, '02 Raleigh C500, '84 Raleigh Gran Prix, '91 Trek 400

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 915 Post(s)
Liked 256 Times in 196 Posts
Was there a brand name on the cap?
dedhed is offline  
Old 02-14-20, 07:24 PM
  #8  
Andrew R Stewart 
Senior Member
 
Andrew R Stewart's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Rochester, NY
Posts: 12,554

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Raleigh Pro, Trek Cycle Cross, Mongoose tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2046 Post(s)
Liked 204 Times in 163 Posts
Likely the wedge bolt is inside the steerer extension. The necking down section makes a nice seat for a pressure washer that the bolt head sits on. Like Zoom stems from the early 1990s and a currently made steerer extension (forgot the brand). Likely also takes a 4 or 5mm hex wrench. Can you look inside the steerer past both the star not at the top and the crown at the bottom and tell us what you see? Andy
__________________
AndrewRStewart
Andrew R Stewart is offline  
Old 02-14-20, 07:34 PM
  #9  
Cycle Tourist
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Posts: 384
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 120 Post(s)
Liked 27 Times in 25 Posts
Originally Posted by Andrew R Stewart View Post
Likely the wedge bolt is inside the steerer extension. The necking down section makes a nice seat for a pressure washer that the bolt head sits on. Like Zoom stems from the early 1990s and a currently made steerer extension (forgot the brand). Likely also takes a 4 or 5mm hex wrench. Can you look inside the steerer past both the star not at the top and the crown at the bottom and tell us what you see? Andy
Sorry. I got a feeling your right. I think there's a wedge in there but Allen wrenches small enough to get past the star don't seem to grab anything. Getting the star out seems my only option.
Cycle Tourist is offline  
Old 02-14-20, 07:44 PM
  #10  
DOS
Senior Member
 
DOS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Arlington, VA USA
Posts: 2,022
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 226 Post(s)
Liked 47 Times in 37 Posts
Originally Posted by Cycle Tourist View Post
What wedge? There's no bolt to jam the wedge.
I was assuming the missing top cap bolt also engaged the wedge. Where is that bolt and how long is it? In any event, hit the thing with a mallet and see if it comes loose.
DOS is offline  
Old 02-14-20, 07:47 PM
  #11  
Cycle Tourist
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Posts: 384
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 120 Post(s)
Liked 27 Times in 25 Posts
Can't see anything past the star. Maybe the wedge was tightened then the star out in. I guess drilling out the star is my best option.
Cycle Tourist is offline  
Old 02-14-20, 07:58 PM
  #12  
Andrew R Stewart 
Senior Member
 
Andrew R Stewart's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Rochester, NY
Posts: 12,554

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Raleigh Pro, Trek Cycle Cross, Mongoose tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2046 Post(s)
Liked 204 Times in 163 Posts
Some steerer extensions have a wedge draw bolt that has a threaded hole running through it. (Typically a M6 bolt using a 6mm hex fitting and a M5 hole for the Cap draw bolt). I suppose that this feature might have been either damaged or not discovered so the installer installed a star nut instead. Andy
__________________
AndrewRStewart
Andrew R Stewart is offline  
Old 02-14-20, 07:59 PM
  #13  
Andrew R Stewart 
Senior Member
 
Andrew R Stewart's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Rochester, NY
Posts: 12,554

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Raleigh Pro, Trek Cycle Cross, Mongoose tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2046 Post(s)
Liked 204 Times in 163 Posts
Originally Posted by Cycle Tourist View Post
Can't see anything past the star. Maybe the wedge was tightened then the star out in. I guess drilling out the star is my best option.

One can usually just pry the star nut out with screwdrivers and needle nose pliers. Andy
__________________
AndrewRStewart
Andrew R Stewart is offline  
Old 02-14-20, 08:06 PM
  #14  
Cycle Tourist
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Posts: 384
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 120 Post(s)
Liked 27 Times in 25 Posts
Originally Posted by DOS View Post
I was assuming the missing top cap bolt also engaged the wedge. Where is that bolt and how long is it? In any event, hit the thing with a mallet and see if it comes loose.
Gotcha. No, the 3T cap has a short bolt. It wouldn't reach a wedge. I can see a shinny bolt end presumably screwed into a wedge from the bottom side. My best bet I think is drilling out the star to get to the bolt and then replacing the star. I've put the thing away for tonight. Thanks guys. At least I have a clue now.🙄
Cycle Tourist is offline  
Old 02-14-20, 08:08 PM
  #15  
Cycle Tourist
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Posts: 384
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 120 Post(s)
Liked 27 Times in 25 Posts
Originally Posted by Andrew R Stewart View Post
One can usually just pry the star nut out with screwdrivers and needle nose pliers. Andy
Thanks. I'll try that first before getting out the drill.
Cycle Tourist is offline  
Old 02-15-20, 09:52 AM
  #16  
frankenmike 
mechanically sound
 
frankenmike's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Dover, NH
Posts: 1,515

Bikes: Indy Fab steel deluxe, Aventon cordoba, S-works stumpy fsr, Masi vincere, 92 Hardrock commuter, Dahon mu uno, Outcast 29

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 16 Posts
I canít imagine what the starnut is for with that setup- the bearings are loaded independent of the adaptor. Thankfully the starnut isnít set very deep, so should be fairly easy to remove.
__________________
frankenmike is offline  
Old 02-15-20, 10:13 AM
  #17  
Cycle Tourist
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Posts: 384
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 120 Post(s)
Liked 27 Times in 25 Posts
Originally Posted by frankenmike View Post
I canít imagine what the starnut is for with that setup- the bearings are loaded independent of the adaptor. Thankfully the starnut isnít set very deep, so should be fairly easy to remove.
The star is used to attach the cap only. Well, that and effectively block my ability to access the bolt that presumably tensions the wedge in the steerer tube. I'll be sure of that once I have breakfast and "have a go" at getting the star out.☕
Cycle Tourist is offline  
Old 02-15-20, 10:30 AM
  #18  
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas
 
canklecat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: Texas
Posts: 10,419

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 179 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3314 Post(s)
Liked 644 Times in 455 Posts
Before drilling or prying, check with Robbie Tunes on the C&V forum. He's used various conversions for putting threadless on quill stem bikes. Ditto RJ the Bike Guy on YouTube.
canklecat is offline  
Old 02-15-20, 01:00 PM
  #19  
Cycle Tourist
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Posts: 384
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 120 Post(s)
Liked 27 Times in 25 Posts
Originally Posted by Andrew R Stewart View Post
Some steerer extensions have a wedge draw bolt that has a threaded hole running through it. (Typically a M6 bolt using a 6mm hex fitting and a M5 hole for the Cap draw bolt). I suppose that this feature might have been either damaged or not discovered so the installer installed a star nut instead. Andy
Thanks Andy and company. I had to drill out the center of the star, pried out the butterflies and expose the bolt head. The wedge was easily loosened and everything came out.
The bearings were totally shot with is probably why I got the Allez so cheap.
Anyway, with a new headset and star this episode is closed and I'm smarter than I was yesterday. You guy are the best.
Cycle Tourist is offline  
Old 02-15-20, 01:25 PM
  #20  
DOS
Senior Member
 
DOS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Arlington, VA USA
Posts: 2,022
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 226 Post(s)
Liked 47 Times in 37 Posts
Originally Posted by Cycle Tourist View Post
Thanks Andy and company. I had to drill out the center of the star, pried out the butterflies and expose the bolt head. The wedge was easily loosened and everything came out.
The bearings were totally shot with is probably why I got the Allez so cheap.
Anyway, with a new headset and star this episode is closed and I'm smarter than I was yesterday. You guy are the best.
I might have been inclined to get a quill stem and go back to using the threaded headset as designed.
DOS is offline  

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.