Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

rubber band/shim on an Ultegra 6500 shifter small lever

Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

rubber band/shim on an Ultegra 6500 shifter small lever

Old 08-20-20, 05:18 AM
Senior Member
Thread Starter
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Toronto, Canada
Posts: 805

Bikes: (shortlist) Cyclops, Marinoni, Mariposa, Air Firday, Pocket Rocket Pro, NWT, SLX Fuso, Claude Pottie (France) x3, Masi Team 3v, Lemond Zurich, Bianchi OS

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 90 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 14 Posts
rubber band/shim on an Ultegra 6500 shifter small lever

I noticed that on one of my bikes with 9 speed Ultegra 6500 shifters, the small inner lever on the LH side sticks out a bit. It bugs me to feel that bulge when I am riding.
I finally looked more closely and it seems the small lever is supposed to have a rubber band that acts as a Stop to keep it aligned with the edge of the big outer lever.
My LH shifter is missing that band., (how it would get lost I have no idea.)

does any one know what these are actually called (or a part number) that I could search for a replacement?
or does anyone know where I can find spares of these?

many thanks


pstock is offline  
Old 08-20-20, 07:13 AM
Senior Member
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 2,340

Bikes: too many sparkly Italians, some sweet Americans and a couple interesting Japanese

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 468 Post(s)
Liked 417 Times in 306 Posts
That is a tough one. I have not seen in the tech docs a part number and suspect finding a "not working for parts only" lever for sale might be the only way to get one. Hope somebody on here comes through for you. I am going to put some Aerospace Protectant 303 on mine to help with aging.

Edit- Might try posting over on the C&V forum as there are a lot of parts horders over there.

Last edited by easyupbug; 08-20-20 at 07:24 AM. Reason: second thought
easyupbug is offline  
Old 08-20-20, 08:42 AM
Sr Member on Sr bikes
_ForceD_'s Avatar
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: Rhode Island (sometimes in SE Florida)
Posts: 1,994

Bikes: Several...from old junk to new all-carbon.

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 867 Post(s)
Liked 594 Times in 318 Posts
If that thing is rubber, or whatever stretchy substance, I'll be it dry-rotted, cracked, and eventually broke. It might be though finding an exact replacement. But I would try something like an O-ring used on various faucets. You can buy small packs of them in varying sizes and thinknesses at your local hardware store. Maybe a small slice of rubber surgical tubbing might work. Or, with some small surgical scissors, you might be able to fashion one out of old inner tube.
It's not an identical replacement, but it might work to line the handles up like you want them to be.

_ForceD_ is offline  
Likes For _ForceD_:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2023 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.