Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > BMX
Reload this Page >

I am done with BMXing.

Notices
BMX Dirt, vert, flatland or street? Drop in the BMX forum to talk to other 20" riders around the world. What is the best BMX bicycle for you? Learn all about it here.

I am done with BMXing.

Old 08-22-05, 05:07 PM
  #1  
MetalHead90
There was a message here
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 288

Bikes: Specialized P.2 and a Diamondback Viper X

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I am done with BMXing.

Well, I am just too big to BMX. I weigh 180 pounds and my little BMX just cant take my weight. And before you say anything I am not fat in any way. I am just sick and tired of going though all kinds of parts on my BMX. I have had many BMXs and they ALL broke in some kind of way. Just today I was going to the local Safeway to get myself a Coke and Skittles. I drop a tiny 6 inch curb and the rear tire just goes flat with a hiss. This intertube was less then a week old. This was the first time I cursed at my BMX...in public. I am just going to go to mountain biking. It looks like fun and its quickly growing. I am going to put my Diamondback Viper X on the market soon. Its in exellent condition.
MetalHead90 is offline  
Old 08-22-05, 05:21 PM
  #2  
CMcMahon
member
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: San Jose, CA
Posts: 4,751

Bikes: Solid AA

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Wow. You're quitting BMX because of a flat that probably happened because you didn't pump up your tires enough. What a b*tch you are.
CMcMahon is offline  
Old 08-22-05, 06:01 PM
  #3  
BMXTRIX
Senior Member
 
BMXTRIX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 1,102
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
[inappropriate. removed by moderator]

Thanks for the notice and enjoy all the well deserved sympathy you will get.

I am about 185 - I AM a bit overweight (definitely)... I haven't had any parts on my bike break for over a year. The top pros... Easily 180 - many around 200 pounds... Their bikes aren't breaking either.

Not sure what job you will take if you have to quit BMX because bike maintenance is to tough for you.
BMXTRIX is offline  
Old 08-22-05, 06:55 PM
  #4  
MetalHead90
There was a message here
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 288

Bikes: Specialized P.2 and a Diamondback Viper X

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Beerman
Wow. You're quitting BMX because of a flat that probably happened because you didn't pump up your tires enough. What a b*tch you are.
One flat? I've gone through something like 40 intertubes this last month. I have had all kinds parts break, anything from the frame to the wheels themselves. I guess my bike is supreme crap, or I'm cursed. I cant afford to get a good freaking bike. The reason I am getting a good mountain bike is because my grandparents offered to get me a very good bike. I have had many of BMXes, one was very good, but still broke. I am just tired of maintaining my Diamondback. Its costing me a fortune. Call me whatever you want, it doenst matter to me. BMXing was a damn good sport for me, I enjoyed it while it lasted.
MetalHead90 is offline  
Old 08-22-05, 07:12 PM
  #5  
tozovr
Slanky
 
tozovr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 218
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
well there's your problem man....you're using Intertubes....give the latest in innertubes a try and get back to ripping brah!
tozovr is offline  
Old 08-22-05, 07:42 PM
  #6  
Urban Shooter
Senior Member
 
Urban Shooter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Beaverton, Oregon
Posts: 608

Bikes: 2006 Gary Fisher Opie, 1980's Fuji Grand SE

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Good for you, get away from that BMX crowd, learn to read and write and maybe one day you can be a roadie and own a real bike!
Urban Shooter is offline  
Old 08-22-05, 08:44 PM
  #7  
mirona
I can't find my pants
 
mirona's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: UMASS, Amherst/ Swick, MA
Posts: 2,331

Bikes: 07 Specialized Langster Comp,06 Kona King Zing, 06 Specialized Rockhopper Pro Disc; 03 LOOK KG461;(destroyed by suv); 85 Panasonic Team America; 73 Peugeot U0-8; 94 Balance Super B BMX; 04 Diamondback Outlook MTB, Diamondback DBR DH

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Urban Shooter
Good for you, get away from that BMX crowd, learn to read and write and maybe one day you can be a roadie and own a real bike!
Ha! I was heavily into BMX racing when I was younger and still ride now and then, but seeing the kiddies in this forum makes me ashamed to admit that I own a BMX bike at all.
mirona is offline  
Old 08-22-05, 08:45 PM
  #8  
zx108
Senior Member
 
zx108's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: N.J.
Posts: 1,545
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
you guys are ruthless! i dont mind it

mybe he deserves this, is dont know.
zx108 is offline  
Old 08-22-05, 08:57 PM
  #9  
sxe fbm rider
Senior Member
 
sxe fbm rider's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Philadelphia
Posts: 1,259

Bikes: Fbm Night Train, Fixed Club Fuji(so sexy).

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Wow buddy. I'm 325, also not fat looking being 6'2"+ and my bike holds up fine. Maybe if you didn't have a ****y bike you wouldn't be quitting. But if you're quitting for that, why ride...
sxe fbm rider is offline  
Old 08-22-05, 09:07 PM
  #10  
hypersnazz
"Uh-uh. Respek Knuckles."
 
hypersnazz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: CA
Posts: 1,094

Bikes: '06 LeMond Versailles, '04 S&M Beringer, '03 Quamen Bowls, '68 Raleigh Grand Prix (converted to fixed gear)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Learn to ride, learn to work on and set up your bike. BMX bikes are STRONGER than mountain bikes, so if you're breaking your BMX bike it's because YOU aren't doing something right, going to a bigger, weaker bike isn't going to fix it.
hypersnazz is offline  
Old 08-22-05, 10:15 PM
  #11  
zx108
Senior Member
 
zx108's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: N.J.
Posts: 1,545
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
he can go into mountain biking and he wont be doing jumps and abusing his bike like in bmx unless he does freeride and freeride bikes are strong then a bmx bike.
zx108 is offline  
Old 08-22-05, 11:25 PM
  #12  
Darin
39yo w/Cruiser
 
Darin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Dover, PA
Posts: 497

Bikes: Haro BMX Cruiser

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
210 lbs, riding a Haro Cruiser. Jumping, but not very often onto flat ground, but no flats yet, just a little rim tweekage, but not even that bad. I fully expected to have to replace the cranks by now, but even they're holding up.
Darin is offline  
Old 08-23-05, 02:05 AM
  #13  
Brian
Senior Member
 
Brian's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Between the mountains and the lake.
Posts: 16,681

Bikes: 8 bikes - one for each day of the week!

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
40 flats in a month? If you're flatting multiple times a day, don't blame the bike. I'm pretty close to Darin in weight, and race Haro cruiser as well. In nearly 30 years of dishing out abuse, I don't recall ever breaking anything that wasn't due to the part being really cheap, or poor maintenance. If you broke stuff on a BMX, you'll break stuff on a mountain bike. Most BMX parts are steel, or cro-mo. Most MTB gear is aluminum, and MTBs are also mechanically complex compared to a BMX.

Urban and Mirona, I know you guys are just trying to stir it up a bit, but the fact is that there are a core group of knowledgeable adults in the BMX forums, and a heap of young punks. Mixed in with them are the lurkers that only read and never post, plus the old timers that just like to chime in once in a while. I got into BMX racing as an adult because it's a very family oriented sport, unlike road and MTB racing. My wife and kids can sit and watch me in 5 races a night, and they also visit with friends at the track. On top of that, I'm very into promoting the sport and supporting young racers. I sell a good deal of gear at just above cost to members of our local club, and have also provided safety gear to the club. I even donate 10% of sales to keep our track in top shape. If you're interested in seeing our track, do a search of the forums for Aussie BMX photos.

Cheers,

Brian
Brian is offline  
Old 08-23-05, 02:22 AM
  #14  
MetalHead90
There was a message here
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 288

Bikes: Specialized P.2 and a Diamondback Viper X

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I was exaggerating. I intend to go into freestyle mountain biking, those bikes are meant for much tougher terrain then a bmx.

Originally Posted by Expatriate
40 flats in a month? If you're flatting multiple times a day, don't blame the bike. I'm pretty close to Darin in weight, and race Haro cruiser as well. In nearly 30 years of dishing out abuse, I don't recall ever breaking anything that wasn't due to the part being really cheap, or poor maintenance. If you broke stuff on a BMX, you'll break stuff on a mountain bike. Most BMX parts are steel, or cro-mo. Most MTB gear is aluminum, and MTBs are also mechanically complex compared to a BMX.

Urban and Mirona, I know you guys are just trying to stir it up a bit, but the fact is that there are a core group of knowledgeable adults in the BMX forums, and a heap of young punks. Mixed in with them are the lurkers that only read and never post, plus the old timers that just like to chime in once in a while. I got into BMX racing as an adult because it's a very family oriented sport, unlike road and MTB racing. My wife and kids can sit and watch me in 5 races a night, and they also visit with friends at the track. On top of that, I'm very into promoting the sport and supporting young racers. I sell a good deal of gear at just above cost to members of our local club, and have also provided safety gear to the club. I even donate 10% of sales to keep our track in top shape. If you're interested in seeing our track, do a search of the forums for Aussie BMX photos.

Cheers,

Brian
MetalHead90 is offline  
Old 08-23-05, 03:12 AM
  #15  
Brian
Senior Member
 
Brian's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Between the mountains and the lake.
Posts: 16,681

Bikes: 8 bikes - one for each day of the week!

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
A decent DJ mountain bike probably starts at $1000. You'll need a strong cro-mo frame, and a Marzocchi DJ series fork, along with some stout wheels. Basically, a 26" BMX with an 8 speed cassette.
Brian is offline  
Old 08-23-05, 08:40 AM
  #16  
mude
Baned.
 
mude's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 3,992
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
i think to sum up everyones post....
your a tool!
mude is offline  
Old 08-23-05, 08:41 AM
  #17  
mude
Baned.
 
mude's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 3,992
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
the above post was directed at metalhead
mude is offline  
Old 08-23-05, 11:42 AM
  #18  
iweargirlspants
MY HASS!
 
iweargirlspants's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Posts: 251
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
i think its because you ride a diamond back and your a sketchy person or something i used to be 185 in 03 and rode no problems.... with exception of cracking the seatstay off my specialized but thats only because it was specialized. if ur quitting due to a flat good riddence to you sir.
iweargirlspants is offline  
Old 08-23-05, 11:45 AM
  #19  
iweargirlspants
MY HASS!
 
iweargirlspants's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Posts: 251
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by zx108
you guys are ruthless! i dont mind it

mybe he deserves this, is dont know.
ruthless? you wouldent make it a day on any other bmx forums if you think bikeforums is ruthless.
iweargirlspants is offline  
Old 08-23-05, 12:18 PM
  #20  
johnb25-6
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Posts: 19
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Two words, Snafu Choobs
johnb25-6 is offline  
Old 08-23-05, 02:39 PM
  #21  
MetalHead90
There was a message here
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 288

Bikes: Specialized P.2 and a Diamondback Viper X

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by iweargirlspants
i think its because you ride a diamond back and your a sketchy person or something i used to be 185 in 03 and rode no problems.... with exception of cracking the seatstay off my specialized but thats only because it was specialized. if ur quitting due to a flat good riddence to you sir.

Can you people read? This flat was the end of the line for me. I have had BMXing problems for a LONG ****ing time. I have had countless problems with my bike, countless I tell you. All kinds of problems. I have had 3 BMXs, each one on their own. 1 haro, and two diamondbacks. I do admit that the haro performed very well and broke down very little, it was stolen. I didnt have the money to get another haro so a Viper X was the next best choice. Now if you people are all going to be broken records and frickin b*tch at me for quitting BMXing because I don't have the money to keep up with my endless repairs, then I advise you to leave, you will not be taken seriously.

If you people really want to know why I am going to mountain biking its because I've always wanted to MB, but never had the money or the time (plus there are not many good trails or mountains around here) Now that my family has moved to better location, and my grandparents offered to get me a great bike, I decided mountain biking was for me.
MetalHead90 is offline  
Old 08-23-05, 02:43 PM
  #22  
Brian
Senior Member
 
Brian's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Between the mountains and the lake.
Posts: 16,681

Bikes: 8 bikes - one for each day of the week!

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by mude
i think to sum up everyones post....
your a tool!
So you didn't really read everyone else's post, did you?
Brian is offline  
Old 08-23-05, 05:35 PM
  #23  
bmxrdr88
Came Up!
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: PDX/ELP
Posts: 440

Bikes: grim reaper 2/ fit s3

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
mountain biking is so expensive. i tried it once for a month. i ended up spending like a grand just on broken parts. stick with bmx its alot better. and sometimes it can make your wallet bigger.
bmxrdr88 is offline  
Old 08-23-05, 09:00 PM
  #24  
DCdense 88
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 148
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
so....like why don't you buy a real bike....like S&M...or Solid or even Federal......<does anybody else see that he has bought three ''not so good bikes''> cuz i have...i mean unless you had a Mirra Flair or something then it wasn't that great of a bike....and as for Diamond Backs...umm...well...they basically couldn't get any worse...well ya i guess they could....they could make them previously broken...but other than that there is no way no how to make them worse....buy a better bike and maybe you wont have problems with breakage.....and also i was having a problem with popping tires..and lol...what i forgot to do is put a rim strip in....you know the thing that protects your tube from the holes for the spokes....hahaha....i felt like such an idiot when i realized that...and also make sure you put plenty of air in the tires...if it says to put 65 psi..put 70....if it says put 100...put 110 ....just please don't give up on BMXing...i think we all have at some point and we all have come back to it....
DCdense 88 is offline  
Old 08-23-05, 10:20 PM
  #25  
MetalHead90
There was a message here
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 288

Bikes: Specialized P.2 and a Diamondback Viper X

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by DCdense 88
so....like why don't you buy a real bike....like S&M...or Solid or even Federal......<does anybody else see that he has bought three ''not so good bikes''> cuz i have...i mean unless you had a Mirra Flair or something then it wasn't that great of a bike....and as for Diamond Backs...umm...well...they basically couldn't get any worse...well ya i guess they could....they could make them previously broken...but other than that there is no way no how to make them worse....buy a better bike and maybe you wont have problems with breakage.....and also i was having a problem with popping tires..and lol...what i forgot to do is put a rim strip in....you know the thing that protects your tube from the holes for the spokes....hahaha....i felt like such an idiot when i realized that...and also make sure you put plenty of air in the tires...if it says to put 65 psi..put 70....if it says put 100...put 110 ....just please don't give up on BMXing...i think we all have at some point and we all have come back to it....
I've actually taken some of you people seriously. I may just get a mountain bike and BMX as a side project. I am compromising. I may sell my diamondback and buy a Haro or somethin.
MetalHead90 is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.