Cycling and bicycle discussion forums. 
   Click here to join our community Log in to access your Control Panel  


Go Back   > >

BMX Dirt, vert, flatland or street? Drop in the BMX forum to talk to other 20" riders around the world. What is the best BMX bicycle for you? Learn all about it here.

User Tag List

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 04-26-12, 09:37 PM   #26
Street rider
We win all charity rides
 
Street rider's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Central Michigan University/ GR, MI
Bikes: BMX, fixed gear
Posts: 3,369
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Same gi, which would have put me at the same speed.
Street rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-12, 11:46 PM   #27
fuji86
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Miami, FL
Bikes: 1986 Fuji Allegro 12 Spd; 1997 Fuji MX-200 21 Spd; 2010 Vilano SS/FG 46/16
Posts: 1,935
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I think a bmx could be very useable for neighborhood riding & commuting. Most of the applications I've seen older retirees use them for ? An alternative for a folding bike. I think they get tired of folding and unfolding those type of bikes, but they'll put a longer seat post in the seat tube and add a basket and off they go to the convenience or grocery store. The frame and bike are sturdy and slower so they feel safer to ride. I have a 20 incher that I want to put a longer seat tube on for that purpose to see how it does. The bmx was free, one's you can get from Wal-Mart can be economical too, but a 26" Huffy Cranbrook makes them hard to justify setting up like a folding bike. I think the older folks that convert them as an alternative to a folding bike like being able to step over them onto the seat without fear of losing their balance and fralling down. Loading up the basket with groceries, trying to step over a 26" top tube & riding home from Wal-Mart is an event for the senior Olympics ? That's the worst thing an older person could have happen to them, break a bone because the bike they had was too fast for them or lose their balance trying to get on/off the bike.
fuji86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-12, 06:42 PM   #28
fuzzbox
Your imaginary friend.
 
fuzzbox's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Wandering aimlessly.
Bikes: A sweet Quamen ATL custom, GT Mach 2
Posts: 2,211
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
This thread makes me laugh. I don't get why there is so much arguing about this. I mainly just bmx with some mountain biking and the very rare instances where I do road. And all I have to say is road/mountain bike = better in the long run. Bmx is only good for going to the corner store and doing tricks. Maybe these people are talking about going places that don't require uphill rides, but I don't think that exists. I wonder if any of those people have ridden anything besides a bmx. When you go from one to another you realize why you were exhausting/torturing yourself more than you needed too.
__________________

Every passing minute is another chance to turn it all around.
fuzzbox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-12, 07:39 PM   #29
Street rider
We win all charity rides
 
Street rider's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Central Michigan University/ GR, MI
Bikes: BMX, fixed gear
Posts: 3,369
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by fuzzbox View Post
This thread makes me laugh. I don't get why there is so much arguing about this. I mainly just bmx with some mountain biking and the very rare instances where I do road. And all I have to say is road/mountain bike = better in the long run. Bmx is only good for going to the corner store and doing tricks. Maybe these people are talking about going places that don't require uphill rides, but I don't think that exists. I wonder if any of those people have ridden anything besides a bmx. When you go from one to another you realize why you were exhausting/torturing yourself more than you needed too.
Right? And that one kid calling himself a beast makes me laugh. I'm sure he's like 12, with tiny chicken legs that couldn't handle any real ​riding stress.
Street rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-12, 01:03 PM   #30
Leebo
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: North of Boston
Bikes: Kona Dawg, Surly 1x1, Karate Monkey, Rockhopper, Crosscheck , Burley Runabout,
Posts: 4,704
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 464 Post(s)
Usually I like to sit down to pedal, do you put a 2.5 ft seat post on a bmx?
Leebo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-12, 05:49 PM   #31
krome
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Bikes:
Posts: 425
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I wasn't advocating using a bmx, I was saying that it isn't the wheels that are necessarily slowing you down. They make bikes for average adults that have small wheels and can still go fast, a bmx bike with 20" rims isn't something I consider designed for a average adult to ride any distance. I certainly wouldn't choose it. This is what I meant about "it isn't the wheels, it's the bike".
krome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-12, 12:50 AM   #32
fuji86
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Miami, FL
Bikes: 1986 Fuji Allegro 12 Spd; 1997 Fuji MX-200 21 Spd; 2010 Vilano SS/FG 46/16
Posts: 1,935
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I agree with you krome, the bmx I have is hardly going to get me anywhere quickly, but by the same token, a longer seat tube like Leebo asks about can be done and a bmx becomes a 55 GI SS 20" bike. It's only going to go so fast. If you ride a mile or two to school or work that setup works just fine. Swap out the seat post and seat and one can go back to using it as intended, a fun toy. With the higher seat post and more comfortable seat, you can use it to ride thru the neighborhood, to the grocery/convenience store, even throw it on the Winnebago and ride it thru the KOA campground or State park campgrounds in the FL Keys ? It's a take your sweet time ride. I like mine in the neighborhood and don't have the extended seat post. I ride it to the nearest Starbucks, Wendy's, Publix/Winn Dixie, pizza place and even Subway for a quick ride and something that gets there pretty quickly for a shorter distance. A few blocks away, the voting precinct is located, I even ride it up there to vote. Saves me the hassle and headache of parking & traffic in the car.
fuji86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-12, 07:35 AM   #33
Street rider
We win all charity rides
 
Street rider's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Central Michigan University/ GR, MI
Bikes: BMX, fixed gear
Posts: 3,369
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by krome View Post
I wasn't advocating using a bmx, I was saying that it isn't the wheels that are necessarily slowing you down. They make bikes for average adults that have small wheels and can still go fast, a bmx bike with 20" rims isn't something I consider designed for a average adult to ride any distance. I certainly wouldn't choose it. This is what I meant about "it isn't the wheels, it's the bike".
And I understand that, but I'm pretty sure that something like a folding bike is going to have to be in a slightly higher ratio just to put out the same speed as a road bike in a lower gear, mostly because of the wheels. Folding bikes have a great design and concept, and their intentions and purpose are awesome, I just wouldn't ever want to go very far with smaller, more inefficient wheels.
Street rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-12, 06:50 PM   #34
Anu
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Bikes:
Posts: 5
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Street Rider, I just got back from riding around Washington DC and I literally owned everyone on the road. Cars, other bikes, motorcycles anything. No one passed me and I passed plenty of other people. I didn't have to ride on just paths, but could go down steps, across medians, on side walks, jumping thick granite curbs with sharp enough corners to cut paper, running every light that was possible (safely enough)... All until I managed to loosen the back wheel and the chain popped off. Fortunately I was on the way back, and most of the way there, but I did have to walk it up a mile long hill because the chain kept slipping. That was really more my fault then the bikes though the chain was already a little loose and i didn't have the nuts tightened enough. I was pretty hard on it and jumped a lot of stuff too. I have racing slick animal ams tires that are rated to 110 psi, though I filled them to about 85. This is not a little kids BMX. the grear ratio is 44:14 and the chain is fat, which is important to me as i have broken a few chains in my day. Also the crank is thick, also important as I have broken a few of those too. And the Handlebars. Actually someone else threw this bike out and it was pretty wrecked. needed new handlebars tires breaks... It is Hellion...something

I am not saying that BMXs will work for anyones commute, but if you live in a city filled with potholes, tall curbs, cars, bikes, and people, you can not beat the BMXs agility, accelleration, strength, durability, and weight. The smaller dimentions and extreme durability make it a winner.

44 to 14 is my gear ratio btw.

And no I am not saying it is ideal for every commute. if you have an 8 mile bike trail to tackle every day, you would be insaine to try it on a bmx. Unless at the end of that you have 4 more through traffic and congestion and potholes.

but if you have to go 2-4 miles through traffic and congestion and potholes and derelict public officials at every corner, and you dont want to travel the beaten path, a BMX might just be for you.


LOL

P.S. the same thing happened to me once on a road bike, the chain popping off.I used to have a 10 mile commute on a bike trail too. except on the road bike, i was peddling so hard my next press had no resistance and the force of my foot crashing down unrestricted in that compromised position street bikes leave you in caused me to loose balance and come crashing to the ground. Down hill at about 35 mph(downhill top gear pushing hard). I cracked my helmet in half and fractured my scapula. On the bmx, i didn't fall when the same thing happened, granted at much lower speed, but the threat is just not there, because as another user noted in this thread, on a bmx bike you are ontop of it, not in it. your center of gravity is much lower.

Last edited by Anu; 05-01-12 at 07:01 PM.
Anu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-12, 12:38 PM   #35
LarDasse74
Guest
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Grid Reference, SK
Bikes: I never learned to ride a bike. It is my deepest shame.
Posts: 3,769
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I used to ride to work with a dude who rode a BMX. I was always kinda ashamed he could keep up with me for the 10 km ride.
BMX for commuting: Not ideal, but some people do it.
LarDasse74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-12, 08:10 PM   #36
Street rider
We win all charity rides
 
Street rider's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Central Michigan University/ GR, MI
Bikes: BMX, fixed gear
Posts: 3,369
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anu View Post
Don't want to repost that whole thing
I understand that it can be done, I already said that. And I know that plenty of people do it. And 'nimbleness' hasn't changed for me from a BMX bike to a track bike. Sure, theres a bit of a difference because the wheel base is longer, but riding in Michigan, the roads are complete **** and you're lucky if you get to ride on a smooth road. And I have people who don't know how to drive who are constantly pushing me into the worst of it. And honestly the only reason that you're able to go that fast is because you're over 80 gi. So you're really not riding that bike as it was intended, are you? If you took that thing into a park, having such a big sprocket would make a bunch of stuff impossible, and having that amount of gi would make it hard to maintain a speed that is optimal for park/street stuff. Too hard to start when you don't/can't go very far or you need to be slow to start.
Street rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-12, 12:51 PM   #37
Leebo
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: North of Boston
Bikes: Kona Dawg, Surly 1x1, Karate Monkey, Rockhopper, Crosscheck , Burley Runabout,
Posts: 4,704
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 464 Post(s)
Anu, sometimes I take my mt bike for the 18 mile commute. Stair gaps to flat, bunnyhopping curbs, dirt and trails too, sometimes its nice to mix it up some.
Leebo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-12, 01:01 AM   #38
doOde
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Bikes:
Posts: 94
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
seriously street rider, im not why youre so set on arguing about this.
if you get bored or impatient pedaling across town on 20" thats fine. not everyones racing, trying to be super efficient or looking to spend the least amount of energy possible.
back in 2002 i use to ride 5 miles to work each way plus another 10-20 in the evenings after work hitting up various spots, if i wasnt hanging out in some parking lot or wall ride spot closer to home instead. i would also carry a bunch of tools(socket wrench, allens, flat kit) and a big heavy chain and lock in my backpack too.

seat post wasnt slammed back then as they are now. knee problems were never an issue biking but the hurt a lot after running.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Street rider View Post
Which, for the ones arguing with me, is what I've been saying. I have done it before, and it isn't fun. Especially with a load on your back. Back then, I used to ride with like 25 lbs max, usually soccer gear or a few pieces of camera equipment. Now I can ride somewhat comfortably with 60 lbs worth of laundry (yea, I'm sort of lazy about doing it). Its all about comfort on bikes. Even with my BMX bike, everything is set up to be relatively comfortable. But that has its own purpose, just as my fixed gear bikes does, which is distance and really fast commutes.

And to do0de, krome, and anu, do you realize how much seatpost you would need to not kill your knees? Pretty damn high. Pretty sure there aren't even any in existence that would be long enough to make seriously commuting any distance worth it.
doOde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-12, 11:55 AM   #39
Street rider
We win all charity rides
 
Street rider's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Central Michigan University/ GR, MI
Bikes: BMX, fixed gear
Posts: 3,369
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My argument was against the people telling the OP that a BMX bike would be good for a commute. Sure, it can be done and there are people who do it. But that doesn't mean that you should. Thats what I've been saying. If you're buying a bike specifically for a commute, its more worth the money to buy something that is set up better. Like any type of road bike whether it be ssfg for simplicity, or geared. That was my whole point, which I have stated several times.
Street rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-12, 05:35 AM   #40
Anu
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Bikes:
Posts: 5
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Your argument clearly does not apply to all riders in all conditions SR. I have no doubt that what you say applies to you, but not to me and several other riders here. Let the OP decide for him/her self if a BMX is right for their commute.

And if anyone has any doubts about BMXs being capable of going fast, watch "BMX bomb down Broadway" on youtube.
Anu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-12, 01:25 PM   #41
fuzzbox
Your imaginary friend.
 
fuzzbox's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Wandering aimlessly.
Bikes: A sweet Quamen ATL custom, GT Mach 2
Posts: 2,211
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Haha this is still going on? I don't think anyone here is doubting you can't go fast, you just have to use way more energy to and get tired faster then if you were on a full sized bike. And if you get a bike that has multiple gears then it is going to be way easier. If you are in a congested area no **** you are going to beat traffic. If you raced a road bike against bmx for 5 miles who do you think is going to win? The person on a bmx could only keep up for so long.
__________________

Every passing minute is another chance to turn it all around.
fuzzbox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-12, 01:43 PM   #42
Street rider
We win all charity rides
 
Street rider's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Central Michigan University/ GR, MI
Bikes: BMX, fixed gear
Posts: 3,369
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anu View Post
Your argument clearly does not apply to all riders in all conditions SR.
Yes it does, the only exception being monetary reasons. If thats all you have at your disposal, then do it. But if you have a full sized bike, or the money to buy one, do it.
Street rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-12, 12:24 PM   #43
hvannes
Commie scumbag
 
hvannes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Norway
Bikes: Surly Creamroller, 14BikeCo ESB
Posts: 22
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
In issue two of the Japanese Encounter Magazine there's a story about a guy randoneering on a bmx. He rode longs distances on a flatland bike with tent, sleeping bag and other camping accessories in a backpack. The trip didn't last more than four days, but it's impressive anyhow.
hvannes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-16, 09:22 AM   #44
zoniq
Newbie
 
Join Date: May 2016
Bikes:
Posts: 1
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
First time posting on a forum, dont know how they work, but bare with me lol, Anyways I just reciently got a bmx, parents had to really carve out alot of money for it, its a nice one too, gt bk xl. Anyway's i've bein biking for maby 3 miles back and forth, not steep hills but rather long, like a slow but long incline, which is harder on your body, its all ups and downs and with my small sprocket on my bmx, it doesn't feel bad, it doesn't hurt my back when i stand up and my knees are fine, even when i have a heavy backpack, its more about exercise, dont doubt a bmx because they are made for park, mines fantastic, breaks on them are great, they are ALOT easy'er to control, and i find them alot lighter than other mountain bikes and commuting bikes, yet they are a bit sensitive, and honestly all i wanna say is they are fantastic i find, Only thing that will kill is slow inclines, i can blow past someone wit my small gears
zoniq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-16, 05:41 PM   #45
mlaps
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Bikes:
Posts: 32
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
I commuted for a couple of years on my 24" cruiser a little more than 5 miles each way. Pretty flat commute with the exception of a long bridge in the middle of it that has a bit of a grade. Sometimes I'd have to ride to a meeting and wouldn't have a chance to change, so would be cruising through the city in my suit with my pants pegged. Usually would get a few looks when I did that.

It was definitely more work than riding a larger bike, but I figured it just made for better exercise, and since I wasn't commuting all that far it would be good to make the most out of it. When I lost my cruiser and got a single speed bike it was amazing how much easier the bridges and hills were. I used to pass people on the BMX going up a hill, but only because I tried to keep all the momentum I could, since I was afraid if I slowed down I'd have to get off. When I switched to the single speed a couple of friends who had ridden fixed gear for years and are generally in much better shape than me were really impressed when they couldn't keep up with me on the hills. The SS is faster and easier and I can go longer distances without tiring out (I did 40 miles on a BMX once, but was dead the next day). But it's not quite as fun, particularly when I'm just going into the city or cruising around the neighborhood.
mlaps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-16, 05:22 PM   #46
7up
Senior Member
 
7up's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Whitestone,Queens/Bayonne N.J.
Bikes: *Schwinn-83íSS,5xSray,2xFback,SpeedsterCustom5sp,RnRcruiser *RossApollo5sp *PanasonicDXsport *Peugoet U08,2xPX10 *Specialized XCFSM4,2xLangster *Bianchi Milano,Pista,ViaNarone7,OltreXR1 *Origin8 Crawler *Trek Xcaliber8,Transport plus
Posts: 194
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
As long as everyone gets out and does whatever makes them get out there is all good by me.I would assume BMXing from A to B would be such a great workout and could be made much more interesting doing tricks and such along the way to and from.
7up is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-17, 02:00 AM   #47
chunkymonkeybik
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Bikes: rockhopper w/26x2.5 rear
Posts: 79
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
I have used one but it is UNCOMFORTABLE, SON! I bought an extra-long seatpost which cost more than the bike. (Such loyalty....or stupidity)
chunkymonkeybik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-17, 02:23 PM   #48
Islandtimes83
Newbie
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Bikes:
Posts: 1
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Beautifully said....on point Anu👌🏻

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anu View Post
Street Rider, I just got back from riding around Washington DC and I literally owned everyone on the road. Cars, other bikes, motorcycles anything. No one passed me and I passed plenty of other people. I didn't have to ride on just paths, but could go down steps, across medians, on side walks, jumping thick granite curbs with sharp enough corners to cut paper, running every light that was possible (safely enough)... All until I managed to loosen the back wheel and the chain popped off. Fortunately I was on the way back, and most of the way there, but I did have to walk it up a mile long hill because the chain kept slipping. That was really more my fault then the bikes though the chain was already a little loose and i didn't have the nuts tightened enough. I was pretty hard on it and jumped a lot of stuff too. I have racing slick animal ams tires that are rated to 110 psi, though I filled them to about 85. This is not a little kids BMX. the grear ratio is 44:14 and the chain is fat, which is important to me as i have broken a few chains in my day. Also the crank is thick, also important as I have broken a few of those too. And the Handlebars. Actually someone else threw this bike out and it was pretty wrecked. needed new handlebars tires breaks... It is Hellion...something

I am not saying that BMXs will work for anyones commute, but if you live in a city filled with potholes, tall curbs, cars, bikes, and people, you can not beat the BMXs agility, accelleration, strength, durability, and weight. The smaller dimentions and extreme durability make it a winner.

44 to 14 is my gear ratio btw.

And no I am not saying it is ideal for every commute. if you have an 8 mile bike trail to tackle every day, you would be insaine to try it on a bmx. Unless at the end of that you have 4 more through traffic and congestion and potholes.

but if you have to go 2-4 miles through traffic and congestion and potholes and derelict public officials at every corner, and you dont want to travel the beaten path, a BMX might just be for you.


LOL

P.S. the same thing happened to me once on a road bike, the chain popping off.I used to have a 10 mile commute on a bike trail too. except on the road bike, i was peddling so hard my next press had no resistance and the force of my foot crashing down unrestricted in that compromised position street bikes leave you in caused me to loose balance and come crashing to the ground. Down hill at about 35 mph(downhill top gear pushing hard). I cracked my helmet in half and fractured my scapula. On the bmx, i didn't fall when the same thing happened, granted at much lower speed, but the threat is just not there, because as another user noted in this thread, on a bmx bike you are ontop of it, not in it. your center of gravity is much lower.
Beautifully said...on point 👌🏻
Islandtimes83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-17, 05:23 AM   #49
hastyrails
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Bikes:
Posts: 13
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
I do not commute with BMX on daily basis. If I need to go to the skatepark and it's not like almost near me, then I take my car and just go with the car, because it's just too uncomfortable to ride long distances with a BMX bike.
hastyrails is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 02:41 PM.


We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
 
  • Ask a Question
    get answers from real people!
Click to start entering your question.
I HAVE A QUESTION