Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > BMX
Reload this Page >

Bike Frames?

Notices
BMX Dirt, vert, flatland or street? Drop in the BMX forum to talk to other 20" riders around the world. What is the best BMX bicycle for you? Learn all about it here.

Bike Frames?

Old 05-19-02, 08:34 AM
  #1  
SeaWolf
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: May 2002
Posts: 7
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Bike Frames?

How heavy of a frame would you want to ramps/grinding stuff? I'm been looking in DansComp for a frame, but the Dirt, Street, and Freestyle frames are all mixed together. How do I know which one to get if they're all mixed up? I don't want a flatland bike, because they weight a ton.

Last edited by SeaWolf; 05-19-02 at 08:42 AM.
SeaWolf is offline  
Old 06-30-02, 11:25 AM
  #2  
gekko1
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: san francisco
Posts: 19
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally posted by SeaWolf
How heavy of a frame would you want to ramps/grinding stuff? I'm been looking in DansComp for a frame, but the Dirt, Street, and Freestyle frames are all mixed together. How do I know which one to get if they're all mixed up? I don't want a flatland bike, because they weight a ton.
people seem to always be obsessed with a light bike, unless your racing who cares? if you want to stay away from flatland frames just make sure the top tube is no shorter then 20"s. most frames these days are pretty much all around frames. they may be advertised for dirt or street but can be used in all areas of BMXing. they just may be more catered to one style. with the exception of flatland and vert bikes.
gekko1 is offline  
Old 06-30-02, 11:48 AM
  #3  
GravityBmxer
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Posts: 99
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The frames at danscomp you can use for all the styles of bmx or maybe just a lot of them. They have frames every where. Try doing a google search or go on some web sites that have frames like www.primo-usa.com.
GravityBmxer is offline  
Old 07-01-02, 07:11 PM
  #4  
xlr8rbmx
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: USA
Posts: 50
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally posted by GravityBmxer
The frames at danscomp you can use for all the styles of bmx or maybe just a lot of them. They have frames every where. Try doing a google search or go on some web sites that have frames like www.primo-usa.com.
Wow, you know what are you talking about Primo doesn't make frames.

SeaWolf, frame weight is a matter of preference. Heavier frames are often more solid, but that is not the case all the time, especially today with the better manufacturing technologies that are being used. For trails/street, 6-8 pounds is about average. One of my frames, an S&M Dirtbike Classic weighs in at just under 6 pounds, and it is designed purely for dirt. The best advice I can give you is to ride as many different bikes as you can, and choose the one that feels best to you. Good luck.

-bs
xlr8rbmx is offline  
Old 07-01-02, 07:38 PM
  #5  
GravityBmxer
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Posts: 99
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally posted by xlr8rbmx

Wow, you know what are you talking about Primo doesn't make frames.

SeaWolf, frame weight is a matter of preference. Heavier frames are often more solid, but that is not the case all the time, especially today with the better manufacturing technologies that are being used. For trails/street, 6-8 pounds is about average. One of my frames, an S&M Dirtbike Classic weighs in at just under 6 pounds, and it is designed purely for dirt. The best advice I can give you is to ride as many different bikes as you can, and choose the one that feels best to you. Good luck.

-bs
You know what xrl8rbmx. You know what. Stop It!
GravityBmxer is offline  
Old 07-03-02, 10:23 AM
  #6  
SolarPowered
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Wonderland
Posts: 7
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
is it me or does the only thing that comes outta GravityBmxer is bull$hit??
SolarPowered is offline  
Old 07-04-02, 02:26 PM
  #7  
KleinMp99
New to bikeforýms.net
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Posts: 2,202
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally posted by SolarPowered
is it me or does the only thing that comes outta GravityBmxer is bull$hit??
Its not just u........he is a bs'er
KleinMp99 is offline  
Old 07-04-02, 08:17 PM
  #8  
xlr8rbmx
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: USA
Posts: 50
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally posted by SolarPowered
is it me or does the only thing that comes outta GravityBmxer is bull$hit??
Yeah, it's definately not just you. He thinks he's the authority on BMX yet I have yet to see him give one good peice of advice on these boards.

-bs
xlr8rbmx is offline  
Old 07-04-02, 09:16 PM
  #9  
Hunter
NOT a weight weenie
 
Hunter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2000
Posts: 1,762
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally posted by SeaWolf
How heavy of a frame would you want to ramps/grinding stuff? I'm been looking in DansComp for a frame, but the Dirt, Street, and Freestyle frames are all mixed together. How do I know which one to get if they're all mixed up? I don't want a flatland bike, because they weight a ton.
Well for jumping you want at the minimun 4130 cro-mo. There are some sweet cro-mo alloy frames out there. Standard makes some bad a** frames. I have a couple of Bontrager Diesel frames left over. True Temper OX111 tubing red and white. These are real nice. I also have a GT Pro Freestyle Team, and the ONLY Soil FS frame in the u.s. Let me know if you are interested in any of these.
Hunter is offline  
Old 08-09-02, 11:32 PM
  #10  
Flatland Freak
I HAVE A BIG
 
Flatland Freak's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Skowhegan,Maine
Posts: 167
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I don't want a flatland bike, because they weight a ton.
Actually flatland frames are normally REALLY light Ive seen them as light as 5 pounds. Most are around 6-8 though. But despite that..you prolly wont want a flatland frame because they really arent designed to work for anything other than flatland, being so short and everything.
Flatland Freak is offline  
Old 08-16-02, 11:24 PM
  #11  
aidas
Newbie
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Posts: 2
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally posted by SeaWolf
I don't want a flatland bike, because they weight a ton.
::NEWS FLASH::
flat bike frames are now mostly around the 5lbs range
the new 4th gen quamen weighs in around 5.1 lbs
aidas is offline  
Old 08-26-02, 07:50 AM
  #12  
Demolition BMX
Newbie
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Posts: 1
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Its not a big deal really if you get a bike a little over 7 lbs. thats still pretty good. That can still make a difffernce.....or you can get like a standard trails 250 which is lite,strong, and cheaper........
Demolition BMX is offline  

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.