Notices
Classic and Vintage Bicycles: Whats it Worth? Appraisals. Use this subforum for all requests as to "How much is this vintage bike worth?"Do NOT try to sell it in here, use the Marketplaces.

Raleigh 555 SL Super Course value?

Old 03-10-24, 02:44 PM
  #1  
Newbie
Thread Starter
 
Flint66's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2024
Location: Clovis CA
Posts: 2
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Raleigh 555 SL Super Course value?

This was my Dad’s bike and I am trying to determine the approximate value. Thank you! I tried posting pics but being a “newbie”, it was not allowed. All original and in great condtion.
Flint66 is offline  
Old 03-11-24, 01:16 PM
  #2  
Full Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Posts: 235
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 100 Post(s)
Liked 49 Times in 35 Posts
Create a picture album in your private profile.
ign1te is offline  
Old 03-25-24, 06:57 AM
  #3  
Newbie
Thread Starter
 
Flint66's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2024
Location: Clovis CA
Posts: 2
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thank you!
Flint66 is offline  
Old 03-25-24, 11:14 AM
  #4  
Senior Member
 
zukahn1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Fairplay Co
Posts: 9,562

Bikes: Current 79 Nishiki Custum Sport, Jeunet 620, notable previous bikes P.K. Ripper loop tail, Kawahara Laser Lite, Paramount Track full chrome, Raliegh Internatioanl, Motobecan Super Mirage. 59 Crown royak 3 speed

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 801 Post(s)
Liked 1,830 Times in 649 Posts
I think this should be 556 or 557 SL never heard really heard of 555. But do own a half dozen nice bikes with tubing labels no one seems to have heard of or seen. There were just a tone of one limited production labels back in the day. A good way to judge is seat post diameter top end Raliegh would be 27.00 or 27.2 lesser stuff 26 0r 26.2.
zukahn1 is offline  
Old 03-25-24, 11:26 AM
  #5  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2021
Location: SoCal
Posts: 2,447

Bikes: Cuevas Custom, Cimmaron, 1988 "Pinalized Rockma", 1984 Trek 510, Moulton custom touring, Raleigh Competition GS, Bridgestone Mb-2 & 3, 1980's Peugeot - US, City, & Canyon Express (6)

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1154 Post(s)
Liked 3,970 Times in 1,938 Posts
Raleigh 555 tubing -
Reynolds 555 Tubing
What exactly is Raleigh 555 Tubing anyway?
SoCaled is offline  
Old 03-25-24, 11:37 AM
  #6  
Senior Member
 
zukahn1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Fairplay Co
Posts: 9,562

Bikes: Current 79 Nishiki Custum Sport, Jeunet 620, notable previous bikes P.K. Ripper loop tail, Kawahara Laser Lite, Paramount Track full chrome, Raliegh Internatioanl, Motobecan Super Mirage. 59 Crown royak 3 speed

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 801 Post(s)
Liked 1,830 Times in 649 Posts
27.00 would likely indicate Tange Ultra triple butted and 27.2 or 28.00 would suggest Prrestiage double butted.
zukahn1 is offline  
Old 03-25-24, 08:30 PM
  #7  
Senior Member
 
plonz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: Western MI
Posts: 2,778
Mentioned: 45 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 657 Post(s)
Liked 471 Times in 304 Posts
Raleigh 555 SL tubing would indicate a Raleigh USA Super Course from 1983-1985. 1983 is a black and gold colorway. 1984 and 1985 are blue with a lot of chrome. I think there may have been two shades of blue those years. The ‘84 will have a yellow USA decal while the ‘85 has a red/white/blue USA decal. I think the boysenberry blue with all the chrome makes for a beautiful bike.

Values vary a lot depending on condition of the chrome. Generally I see these listed in the $250-$300 range with good chrome (in pics anyway). Sometimes higher if it’s really clean. Whenever I see one close to $200, the listing isn’t up for long.

Hopefully OP can get a pic up for us to see which Super Course they have.
plonz is offline  
Likes For plonz:
Old 03-28-24, 11:18 PM
  #8  
Thrifty Bill
 
wrk101's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Mountains of Western NC
Posts: 23,543

Bikes: 86 Katakura Silk, 87 Prologue X2, 88 Cimarron LE, 1975 Sekai 4000 Professional, 73 Paramount, plus more

Mentioned: 96 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1245 Post(s)
Liked 991 Times in 638 Posts
Whatever the value, if it were my dad's bike, I'd be keeping it. Once its gone, it's gone. Will not have a ton of value in today's market.
wrk101 is offline  
Likes For wrk101:
Old 03-29-24, 05:53 AM
  #9  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Utah
Posts: 8,762

Bikes: Paletti,Pinarello Monviso,Duell Vienna,Giordana XL Super,Lemond Maillot Juane.& custom,PDG Paramount,Fuji Opus III,Davidson Impulse,Pashley Guv'nor,Evans,Fishlips,Y-Foil,Softride, Tetra Pro, CAAD8 Optimo,

Mentioned: 157 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2347 Post(s)
Liked 5,231 Times in 1,833 Posts
Originally Posted by plonz
Raleigh 555 SL tubing would indicate a Raleigh USA Super Course from 1983-1985. 1983 is a black and gold colorway. 1984 and 1985 are blue with a lot of chrome. I think there may have been two shades of blue those years. The ‘84 will have a yellow USA decal while the ‘85 has a red/white/blue USA decal. I think the boysenberry blue with all the chrome makes for a beautiful bike.

Values vary a lot depending on condition of the chrome. Generally I see these listed in the $250-$300 range with good chrome (in pics anyway). Sometimes higher if it’s really clean. Whenever I see one close to $200, the listing isn’t up for long.

Hopefully OP can get a pic up for us to see which Super Course they have.
I'm planning on listing my 85 Racing USA Prestige locally this weekend. If the original wheels are put back on I figure to list at $250 with the full refurb I did. If I leave the Mavic Kyserium wheels on I'm going to ask for $350. If it sell quickly I'll report back here as a comp sale.


Upgraded wheels, new cables, housings, hoods, bar tape, fully parts degrease, clean, service, etc.
__________________
Steel is real...and comfy.
jamesdak is offline  
Likes For jamesdak:
Old 03-29-24, 08:38 PM
  #10  
Senior Member
 
plonz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: Western MI
Posts: 2,778
Mentioned: 45 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 657 Post(s)
Liked 471 Times in 304 Posts
Originally Posted by jamesdak
I'm planning on listing my 85 Racing USA Prestige locally this weekend. If the original wheels are put back on I figure to list at $250 with the full refurb I did. If I leave the Mavic Kyserium wheels on I'm going to ask for $350. If it sell quickly I'll report back here as a comp sale.
That’s a smokin’ deal but also an indication of how tough the local market place is. Good luck trying to find a clean pair of Ksyriums on eBay sub $200. For an extra $150 you get a sweet Raleigh Prestige? Grow it by 6cm and I’m headed to Utah!
plonz is offline  
Old 03-30-24, 03:38 AM
  #11  
Newbie
 
Join Date: Mar 2024
Posts: 5
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by zukahn1
I think this should be 556 or 557 SL never heard really heard of 555. But do own a half dozen nice bikes with tubing labels no one seems to have heard of or seen. There were just a tone of one limited production labels back in the day. A good way to judge is seat post diameter top end Raliegh would be 27.00 or 27.2 lesser stuff 26 0r 26.2.
Using seat post diameter as a reference point for quality is a helpful tip. Your knowledge and experience with bikes are impressive!
Soma1 is offline  
Old 03-30-24, 09:15 AM
  #12  
Senior Member
 
zukahn1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Fairplay Co
Posts: 9,562

Bikes: Current 79 Nishiki Custum Sport, Jeunet 620, notable previous bikes P.K. Ripper loop tail, Kawahara Laser Lite, Paramount Track full chrome, Raliegh Internatioanl, Motobecan Super Mirage. 59 Crown royak 3 speed

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 801 Post(s)
Liked 1,830 Times in 649 Posts
I will say that the nicer Raliegh USA bikes MTB and road and are under valued there top stuff were basically the best retail bikes sold in the 80's and 90's.
zukahn1 is offline  

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.