Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Show Us Your Vintage Cannondale!

Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Show Us Your Vintage Cannondale!

Old 05-01-20, 09:07 AM
  #1101  
Sophomore Member
 
Lemond1985's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Posts: 2,690
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1628 Post(s)
Liked 1,057 Times in 631 Posts
Originally Posted by Tpcorr
I don't think that's an '87 SR500. I have an 87 in a teal color, and the other color available in '87 was white. Yours may be an '88.
I am in a unique position to comment on this. My first new bike I ever bought was a 1987 SR500 in Blueberry. I paid $750 for it out the door. It had indexed Shimano 600 6 speed SIS (the first year for Shimano indexing) and crappy Wolber wheels that lasted me about 2 weeks.

During a crash while riding in a paceline, I broke the derailleur hanger on the frame. Since these were not replaceable back then, I went back to the dealer who sold me the bike, who got me a brand new SR500 frame, also in Blueberry, under warranty, which I transferred my parts over to, and the dealer sent the broken frame back to Cannondale.

The 1987 and '88 frames were identical, paint and geometry-wise, but the decals were slightly different. The 1988 had the "Criterium Geometry" sticker on the seat tube, and the "Patented Construcion decal on the right seatstay. It also had the "Shimano 105" decal on the chainstay. Based on that, I would conclude that the frame in the picture is a 1988 model, not a 1987. IIRC Shimano 105 had not yet been introduced in 1987.


Lemond1985 is offline  
Likes For Lemond1985:
Old 05-01-20, 10:00 AM
  #1102  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Long Island, NY
Posts: 243

Bikes: 2016 Specialized Roubaix SL4 Expert, 1987 Cannondale SR500 105, Univega Nuovo Sport

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Lemond1985
I am in a unique position to comment on this. My first new bike I ever bought was a 1987 SR500 in Blueberry. I paid $750 for it out the door. It had indexed Shimano 600 6 speed SIS (the first year for Shimano indexing) and crappy Wolber wheels that lasted me about 2 weeks.

During a crash while riding in a paceline, I broke the derailleur hanger on the frame. Since these were not replaceable back then, I went back to the dealer who sold me the bike, who got me a brand new SR500 frame, also in Blueberry, under warranty, which I transferred my parts over to, and the dealer sent the broken frame back to Cannondale.

The 1987 and '88 frames were identical, paint and geometry-wise, but the decals were slightly different. The 1988 had the "Criterium Geometry" sticker on the seat tube, and the "Patented Construcion decal on the right seatstay. It also had the "Shimano 105" decal on the chainstay. Based on that, I would conclude that the frame in the picture is a 1988 model, not a 1987. IIRC Shimano 105 had not yet been introduced in 1987.


In 1987 the SR 600 came with the Shimano 600 group and was available in the Blueberry colorway. If you search for the 1987 Cannondale catalog you will see this is accurate. In 1987 the SR500 came in Teal or White. In 1987 the cost of the SR 500 was $600. So I would think your bike is indeed the SR 600, so named for the equipped Shimano 600 group.

https://vintagecannondale.com/year/1987/1987.pdf

Last edited by Tpcorr; 05-01-20 at 10:05 AM.
Tpcorr is offline  
Old 05-01-20, 11:41 AM
  #1103  
aka: Dr. Cannondale
 
rccardr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 7,822
Mentioned: 230 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2137 Post(s)
Liked 3,325 Times in 1,178 Posts
It’s pretty easy to tell the exact date of manufacture for any 86-89 Cannondale ST or SR.
It’s part of the serial number, most often located on the top of the DS chainstay, occasionally on the inside of the DS seat stay.
A manufacture date of August 86 through June 87 would generally indicate an 87 model year; later than June they would be changing upnthe line, using up the last of the paint, etc.
Shimano 105 indexed was introduced for the 1987 model year; a number of bikes used that group in 87.
__________________
Hard at work in the Secret Underground Laboratory...
rccardr is offline  
Old 05-09-20, 09:26 AM
  #1104  
Senior Member
 
curbtender's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: SF Bay Area, East bay
Posts: 8,640

Bikes: Miyata 618 GT, Marinoni, Kestral 200 2002 Trek 5200, KHS Flite, Koga Miyata, Schwinn Spitfire 5, Mondia Special, Univega Alpina, Miyata team Ti, Santa Cruz Highball

Mentioned: 52 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1574 Post(s)
Liked 2,413 Times in 1,159 Posts
Originally Posted by curbtender
Next project, 91 sr600. Need to track down one of those pesky brake guides. Seems to be complete otherwise.
Got it up and running, thanks to Doc for the brake guide...
curbtender is offline  
Likes For curbtender:
Old 05-09-20, 09:50 AM
  #1105  
Dedicated Detritus Dodger
 
bargo68's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Location: Fairfax, California
Posts: 480

Bikes: Some mighty fine ones at that!

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 187 Post(s)
Liked 602 Times in 246 Posts
Been riding the ST1000 a lot lately. It rides much more S than T!


bargo68 is offline  
Likes For bargo68:
Old 05-09-20, 11:27 AM
  #1106  
Senior Member
 
himespau's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Louisville, KY
Posts: 13,528
Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4169 Post(s)
Liked 2,886 Times in 1,764 Posts
Originally Posted by bargo68
Been riding the ST1000 a lot lately. It rides much more S than T!

Beautiful. I've long wanted one of those in the forest green like you have.
himespau is offline  
Old 05-10-20, 08:38 AM
  #1107  
Newbie
 
Join Date: May 2020
Posts: 4
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
So nice.
RollingRubber is offline  
Old 05-11-20, 04:36 AM
  #1108  
Newbie
 
Join Date: May 2020
Posts: 4
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
For the 1991 road models. Did the SR600 have the name logo on the top tube and the SC600 have the name logo on the downtube?
RollingRubber is offline  
Old 05-11-20, 09:39 AM
  #1109  
Senior Member
 
curbtender's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: SF Bay Area, East bay
Posts: 8,640

Bikes: Miyata 618 GT, Marinoni, Kestral 200 2002 Trek 5200, KHS Flite, Koga Miyata, Schwinn Spitfire 5, Mondia Special, Univega Alpina, Miyata team Ti, Santa Cruz Highball

Mentioned: 52 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1574 Post(s)
Liked 2,413 Times in 1,159 Posts
Originally Posted by RollingRubber
For the 1991 road models. Did the SR600 have the name logo on the top tube and the SC600 have the name logo on the downtube?
https://vintagecannondale.com/catalog/
curbtender is offline  
Old 05-11-20, 11:00 AM
  #1110  
Dedicated Detritus Dodger
 
bargo68's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Location: Fairfax, California
Posts: 480

Bikes: Some mighty fine ones at that!

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 187 Post(s)
Liked 602 Times in 246 Posts
Originally Posted by himespau
Beautiful. I've long wanted one of those in the forest green like you have.
Thanks! It's a great riding bike. I have Panaracer Gravel King 32's on it pumped up to about 35 psi and it really rolls smoothly.
bargo68 is offline  
Old 05-12-20, 09:43 AM
  #1111  
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2020
Location: Chandler, Arizona
Posts: 16

Bikes: 1988 Cannondale SR500, 1988 Cannondale SM500

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by fasthair
Craig,

Very nice pair of bikes. I really like that SR, it's like it is still brand new. What size is it and is it for sale...kidding...sorta

fasthair
fasthair,

Sorry for the delayed response. I somehow missed your post and just saw it today when I was updating myself on this thread.

I rode that SR a LOT up until about 1990 and then not much at all since that time. So in terms of wear/tear it's about like a typical 3 year old bicycle. Being a bicycle mechanic working in shops for 15 years, I fairly meticulous about maintenance it when I was riding it. But I haven't done anything with it in 30 years, so it's sort of a time capsule. The frame measures out at 58cm (top of the seat tube to the center of the crank housing). It's a pretty small frame. It's not currently for sale, but I'll post it here if that changes

-Craig
caschnd1 is offline  
Old 05-12-20, 09:51 AM
  #1112  
Newbie
 
Join Date: May 2020
Posts: 4
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Yup thanks, the catalog doesn't really give me much of an idea as it only displays either the SC or SR models. I'm even thinking that the SC and SR models both shared the same colour schemes just with different logo placements in 1991. Been researching but want to make sure before I respray mine.
RollingRubber is offline  
Old 05-12-20, 09:00 PM
  #1113  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Bellevue, WA
Posts: 50
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

Just finished building up, the wheelset was the last piece.
'89 3.0 crit frame, size 58.
Originally an SR400, but the bottom bracket, headset, and stem are the only original parts left.
jeffmendoza is offline  
Likes For jeffmendoza:
Old 05-13-20, 10:02 AM
  #1114  
Senior Member
 
curbtender's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: SF Bay Area, East bay
Posts: 8,640

Bikes: Miyata 618 GT, Marinoni, Kestral 200 2002 Trek 5200, KHS Flite, Koga Miyata, Schwinn Spitfire 5, Mondia Special, Univega Alpina, Miyata team Ti, Santa Cruz Highball

Mentioned: 52 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1574 Post(s)
Liked 2,413 Times in 1,159 Posts
Originally Posted by RollingRubber
Yup thanks, the catalog doesn't really give me much of an idea as it only displays either the SC or SR models. I'm even thinking that the SC and SR models both shared the same colour schemes just with different logo placements in 1991. Been researching but want to make sure before I respray mine.
Looked a little, seems the Cannondale logo is on the downtube for the SC.
curbtender is offline  
Old 05-13-20, 11:25 AM
  #1115  
Senior Member
 
tyler_fred's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Magnolia State, 100 with 110% humidity
Posts: 1,277

Bikes: American, Italian, and Japanese.. in no particular order.

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 350 Post(s)
Liked 275 Times in 128 Posts
Cool! My late year 88 is the same color, the same BEAUTIFUL blue!!

Originally Posted by jeffmendoza

Just finished building up, the wheelset was the last piece.
'89 3.0 crit frame, size 58.
Originally an SR400, but the bottom bracket, headset, and stem are the only original parts left.
tyler_fred is offline  
Old 05-16-20, 09:33 AM
  #1116  
Newbie
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Posts: 26
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 2 Posts
87 Blacklightning.. tightest handling retro ride I owned... but also the Harshest..

IpIp Biker is offline  
Old 05-30-20, 11:55 AM
  #1117  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Budapest, Hungary
Posts: 53

Bikes: Steyr Waffenrad ('52, '62, '71, '72, '74), Cannondale (Saeco CAAD4, Criterium), Bianchi (Martini Racing mtb, RC SBX "weird"), Burco (transport, speciaal opa)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 11 Posts
Deerman is offline  
Likes For Deerman:
Old 05-30-20, 12:20 PM
  #1118  
Senior Member
 
Trakhak's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Baltimore, MD
Posts: 5,195
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2347 Post(s)
Liked 2,767 Times in 1,581 Posts
Originally Posted by IpIp Biker
87 Blacklightning.. tightest handling retro ride I owned... but also the Harshest..
That's what people who have otherwise ridden only steel bikes with sport geometry (i.e., longer-wheelbase bikes) always seem to say.

It's not the aluminum frame that makes it harsh. It's the criterium geometry (essentially track bike geometry, or close to it). Those of us who rode steel criterium-geometry bikes (usually Italian bikes, sometimes U.S. bikes) with the same short wheelbase in the old days know that the Cannondales rode no more harshly than the steel crit bikes and were significantly lighter and thus faster on climbs.
Trakhak is online now  
Old 06-03-20, 06:22 PM
  #1119  
Junior Member
 
Join Date: May 2020
Location: Illinois
Posts: 23

Bikes: 1980 Sekai; 1987 Cannondale SR 1000

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I have an 87 white Cannondale SR 1000. Mostly all original parts. The paint still looks great. Bike rides fine, but I wanted to know if I can find a good thread or someone that could guide me for upgrades. The previous owner switched the original rear derailleur, crank arm, and chainrings with a Shimano Tiagra 9 speed. I'm looking to replace the downtube shifting to brifters (already have a pair of Shimano RSX brifters to install). Not looking to spend a lot of money, but wondered what others have done with theirs.

I'm sorry if this is ins the wrong thread. I will post pictures when allowed.

Thanks!
pmferna is offline  
Old 06-03-20, 07:47 PM
  #1120  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2020
Location: Detroit area Michigan
Posts: 75

Bikes: Trek 1200 Specialized HardRock Hybrid GT Tempest MTB

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 13 Posts
88 sr500


Night Treker is offline  
Old 06-04-20, 05:58 AM
  #1121  
aka: Dr. Cannondale
 
rccardr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 7,822
Mentioned: 230 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2137 Post(s)
Liked 3,325 Times in 1,178 Posts
Originally Posted by pmferna
I have an 87 white Cannondale SR 1000. Mostly all original parts. The paint still looks great. Bike rides fine, but I wanted to know if I can find a good thread or someone that could guide me for upgrades. The previous owner switched the original rear derailleur, crank arm, and chainrings with a Shimano Tiagra 9 speed. I'm looking to replace the downtube shifting to brifters (already have a pair of Shimano RSX brifters to install). Not looking to spend a lot of money, but wondered what others have done with theirs.

I'm sorry if this is ins the wrong thread. I will post pictures when allowed.

Thanks!
This thread has a lot of good ideas in it. Like this:

__________________
Hard at work in the Secret Underground Laboratory...
rccardr is offline  
Old 06-04-20, 09:02 AM
  #1122  
Senior Member
 
curbtender's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: SF Bay Area, East bay
Posts: 8,640

Bikes: Miyata 618 GT, Marinoni, Kestral 200 2002 Trek 5200, KHS Flite, Koga Miyata, Schwinn Spitfire 5, Mondia Special, Univega Alpina, Miyata team Ti, Santa Cruz Highball

Mentioned: 52 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1574 Post(s)
Liked 2,413 Times in 1,159 Posts
Retro roadies- old frames with STI's or Ergos
curbtender is offline  
Old 06-04-20, 10:47 AM
  #1123  
Junior Member
 
Join Date: May 2020
Location: Illinois
Posts: 23

Bikes: 1980 Sekai; 1987 Cannondale SR 1000

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by rccardr
This thread has a lot of good ideas in it. Like this:
Looks good! It seems yours has a freehub with 6 or 7 cogs in the cassette. What's the pathway for you to convert the 6speed freewheel to a freehub giving that it's almost impossible to find freehubs to fit the 126mm spacing? I have a Shimano 7-speed freewheel that I plan to swap when installing the brifters (7-3 STI), but I don't really like how it's going to look.

Also, mine seems to have an issue just right where the B-screw touches in the derailleur hanger. I tried to adjust it so it will pull the pulleys away from the sprockets. It's now slightly touching the smallest cog. Not too loud and happens when I push it harder for speed, and it's annoying! While trying to adjust, the screw starts to come out of the frame. I don't think the frame is misaligned. I appreciate any suggestions.
pmferna is offline  
Old 06-04-20, 11:31 AM
  #1124  
aka: Dr. Cannondale
 
rccardr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 7,822
Mentioned: 230 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2137 Post(s)
Liked 3,325 Times in 1,178 Posts
Originally Posted by pmferna
Looks good! It seems yours has a freehub with 6 or 7 cogs in the cassette. What's the pathway for you to convert the 6speed freewheel to a freehub giving that it's almost impossible to find freehubs to fit the 126mm spacing? I have a Shimano 7-speed freewheel that I plan to swap when installing the brifters (7-3 STI), but I don't really like how it's going to look.

Also, mine seems to have an issue just right where the B-screw touches in the derailleur hanger. I tried to adjust it so it will pull the pulleys away from the sprockets. It's now slightly touching the smallest cog. Not too loud and happens when I push it harder for speed, and it's annoying! While trying to adjust, the screw starts to come out of the frame. I don't think the frame is misaligned. I appreciate any suggestions.
That's 11 speed Shimano 105 installed on an 88 SR500 frameset with 11 speed wheels. 130 width wheels easily slide into the rear dropouts.
A 7 speed Shimano freewheel should work just fine with 7 speed STI's. There's no way to convert a freewheel hub into a freehub style, gotta replace it. But any 8-9-10-11 speed rear hub will fit easily as noted above, and you can use a spacer behind a 7 speed cassette to get the correct spacing.

Not sure what the issue is with your B screw, but that RD won't shift anything larger than a 28 tooth cog in the back.
__________________
Hard at work in the Secret Underground Laboratory...
rccardr is offline  
Old 06-04-20, 02:31 PM
  #1125  
Junior Member
 
Join Date: May 2020
Location: Illinois
Posts: 23

Bikes: 1980 Sekai; 1987 Cannondale SR 1000

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by rccardr
That's 11 speed Shimano 105 installed on an 88 SR500 frameset with 11 speed wheels. 130 width wheels easily slide into the rear dropouts.
A 7 speed Shimano freewheel should work just fine with 7 speed STI's. There's no way to convert a freewheel hub into a freehub style, gotta replace it. But any 8-9-10-11 speed rear hub will fit easily as noted above, and you can use a spacer behind a 7 speed cassette to get the correct spacing.

Not sure what the issue is with your B screw, but that RD won't shift anything larger than a 28 tooth cog in the back.
So, you're saying that a 130 width wheel will fit into my 87 SR 1000 frameset? I just want to make sure before I make any expensive decision in the future. I believe last time I tried measuring it looks just shy of 130mm.

Also, what about the headset? Assuming from the 1 1/8 internal diameter seat post, I believe the headtube also has a full 1 1/8 internal diameter, right? I'm wondering if I can go threadless or if I need a quill stem adapter and again, appreciate any help here.
pmferna is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.