Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

How does a "Paint by Keith Anderson" effect the value of a Competition GS?

Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

How does a "Paint by Keith Anderson" effect the value of a Competition GS?

Old 02-11-16, 10:40 AM
  #1  
Brian Mc
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: Central Iowa
Posts: 44

Bikes: 51 Lenton Tourist, 58 Raleigh Sports, 71 Carlton Critirium, 75 Raleigh Super Course II

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
How does a "Paint by Keith Anderson" effect the value of a Competition GS?

I hope this is ok to post here vs the "What's it worth" forum. If not, please advise.

I've found an otherwise original looking 23.5" black Competition GS with what must be replacement stickers. It looks excellent, with the exception of some rusts spots on the chrome. The "Paint by Keith Anderson" is on the left chainstay.

I'm wondering if the repaint detracts from the value of this bike or if the reputation of the painter would nullify the fact it's redone.

Thank you.

Brian
Brian Mc is offline  
Old 02-11-16, 10:43 AM
  #2  
repechage
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 15,445
Mentioned: 102 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1724 Post(s)
Liked 611 Times in 474 Posts
Originally Posted by Brian Mc View Post
I hope this is ok to post here vs the "What's it worth" forum. If not, please advise.

I've found an otherwise original looking 23.5" black Competition GS with what must be replacement stickers. It looks excellent, with the exception of some rusts spots on the chrome. The "Paint by Keith Anderson" is on the left chainstay.

I'm wondering if the repaint detracts from the value of this bike or if the reputation of the painter would nullify the fact it's redone.

Thank you.

Brian
The paint is undoubtedly better than original.
He does nice work, I am sure the seller is taking a bath on the sale.
repechage is offline  
Old 02-11-16, 10:46 AM
  #3  
sloar 
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Elwood Indiana
Posts: 6,698

Bikes: they change so much I'm tired of updating this

Mentioned: 149 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 959 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 327 Times in 153 Posts
I love the quality painting done by certain professional painters. But, I would be pissed to find their giant advertising logo on my frame.
__________________
Semper fi
sloar is offline  
Old 02-11-16, 10:47 AM
  #4  
rootboy 
Senior Member
 
rootboy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Wherever
Posts: 16,756
Mentioned: 88 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 549 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 114 Times in 67 Posts
Original, minty paint would undoubtedly be more desirable to a collector.
But it hardly matters on this bike. Nice as it is.
Like Repechage sez, paint by Keith is undoubtedly better than the original paint.

I'd like to see some close up detail shots.
rootboy is offline  
Old 02-11-16, 10:49 AM
  #5  
rootboy 
Senior Member
 
rootboy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Wherever
Posts: 16,756
Mentioned: 88 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 549 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 114 Times in 67 Posts
Originally Posted by sloar View Post
But, I would be pissed to find their giant advertising logo on my frame.
I agree. But I suppose they do it for more reasons than advertising. Like, so no one could try to pass it off as being 100% original.
rootboy is offline  
Old 02-11-16, 10:56 AM
  #6  
SJX426 
Senior Member
 
SJX426's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Fredericksburg, Va
Posts: 7,704

Bikes: '73 Bottecchia Giro d'Italia, '83 Colnago Superissimo, '84 Trek 610, '84 Trek 760, '88 Pinarello Veneto, '88 De Rosa Pro, '90 De Rosa Professional, '91 Pinarello Montello, '94 Burley Duet, 97 Specialized RockHopper, 2010 Langster, Tern Link D8

Mentioned: 55 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 970 Post(s)
Liked 606 Times in 385 Posts
If there is documented support of really bad original condition, I would be happy to consider Keith's signature on the stay. It tells me that the bike was taken care of and will last a bit longer with a quality refinish by a competent refinisher.
__________________
Bikes don't stand alone. They are two tired.
SJX426 is offline  
Old 02-11-16, 11:08 AM
  #7  
fender1
Senior Member
 
fender1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Berwyn PA
Posts: 6,078

Bikes: I hate bikes!

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 288 Post(s)
Liked 108 Times in 42 Posts
Not much. Once the original paint is gone, so is a lot of the value, regardless of who does the repaint. Collectors are a fickle bunch. I have had frames repainted from time to time and have always taken a bath when selling them.
fender1 is offline  
Old 02-11-16, 12:27 PM
  #8  
steelbikeguy
Senior Member
 
steelbikeguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Peoria, IL
Posts: 2,317
Mentioned: 65 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 843 Post(s)
Liked 516 Times in 300 Posts
hey Brian, how can you post about a shiny new paint job on a nice Raleigh and not post pictures?!

I've been through a few Raleighs, and their paint was never all that durable. For a black bike, I don't see a lot of downside to having nice new paint. It's not like you are trying to match the exact red of a Raleigh Team bike or get the blue mink of a Professional just right.

I've got a Raleigh International in great shape, but the paint and workmanship isn't particularly great. The paint is a "flamboyant", or candy, scheme, which I think is pretty cool and would be expensive to duplicate. The Competition was the next lower model, and probably had similar workmanship. As long as Keith kept a similar sort of finish, i.e. not too glossy or thick, it should be better than new.

I'm curious about the financial aspect of the project. A new paint job is rather pricey compared to the cost of a well used Competition frame. On the other hand, it's probably a good deal cheaper than a lot of frames currently being produced. It's probably a good value if you plan to ride the bike a long time. Not so good if your plan is to resell it quickly. What were the things or aspects that you debated prior to making the decision to repaint?
edit: oops... I see that the current owner had it repainted. It couldn't have been cheap. Personally, if the paint was done well, it should help the value. The rust would be a bigger concern, especially since the new paint will increase the bike's price <end of edit>

Steve in Peoria

Last edited by steelbikeguy; 02-11-16 at 12:31 PM.
steelbikeguy is offline  
Old 02-11-16, 12:38 PM
  #9  
John E
feros ferio
 
John E's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Location: www.ci.encinitas.ca.us
Posts: 20,284

Bikes: 1959 Capo Modell Campagnolo; 1960 Capo Sieger (2); 1962 Carlton Franco Suisse; 1970 Peugeot UO-8; 1982 Bianchi Campione d'Italia; 1988 Schwinn Project KOM-10;

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 939 Post(s)
Liked 322 Times in 241 Posts
Originally Posted by fender1 View Post
Not much. Once the original paint is gone, so is a lot of the value, regardless of who does the repaint. Collectors are a fickle bunch. I have had frames repainted from time to time and have always taken a bath when selling them.
A tale of two Capos -- my Sieger has its original paint, warts and all, and my Modell Campagnolo has a beautiful (and labeled) CyclArt paint job, which I splurged on because it had already been repainted a dull Rustoleum red before I bought it. I have never regretted either decision -- the very rare top-of-the-line Sieger stays all original, including components, whereas the more modest and common Modell Campagnolo has updated and upgraded components, looks stunning, and is probably worth less than 20% of what the Sieger is.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
capo_pell_1.jpg (19.3 KB, 51 views)
File Type: jpg
capo40324 002.jpg (61.4 KB, 53 views)
__________________
"Far and away the best prize that life offers is the chance to work hard at work worth doing." --Theodore Roosevelt
Capo: 1959 Modell Campagnolo, S/N 40324; 1960 Sieger (2), S/N 42624, 42597
Carlton: 1962 Franco Suisse, S/N K7911
Peugeot: 1970 UO-8, S/N 0010468
Bianchi: 1982 Campione d'Italia, S/N 1.M9914
Schwinn: 1988 Project KOM-10, S/N F804069
John E is offline  
Old 02-11-16, 12:38 PM
  #10  
Brian Mc
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: Central Iowa
Posts: 44

Bikes: 51 Lenton Tourist, 58 Raleigh Sports, 71 Carlton Critirium, 75 Raleigh Super Course II

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I am currently in the negotiation stage for buying this bike, I do not own it yet. When I saw it, it was a little dusty. I'm a little confused about a quality paint job on a GS, but then to have rust spots on the chrome. I would tell you where the negotiations started, but I think people would consider me a cheapskate or foolish for not buying it outright. I simply don't need/want it that bad. If I don't get together with her, I'll ask if she'd like me to say so in this thread and forward an email for her.
I would purchase only with the intent to ride.
Brian Mc is offline  
Old 02-11-16, 12:48 PM
  #11  
repechage
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 15,445
Mentioned: 102 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1724 Post(s)
Liked 611 Times in 474 Posts
Originally Posted by sloar View Post
I love the quality painting done by certain professional painters. But, I would be pissed to find their giant advertising logo on my frame.
Unlike some, if you ask ahead of time Keith will not apply his logo.
repechage is offline  
Old 02-11-16, 12:49 PM
  #12  
southpawboston
Senior Member
 
southpawboston's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Somerville, MA and Catskill Mtns
Posts: 4,128
Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked 107 Times in 52 Posts
Originally Posted by rootboy View Post
I agree. But I suppose they do it for more reasons than advertising. Like, so no one could try to pass it off as being 100% original.
Eh, I disagree. It's a point of pride, the mark of a craftsman. I asked Keith to make sure my Jeff Lyon custom got Keith's nice insignia down on the chainstay.



Same reason I like to put Velo Lumino decals on all the custom wiring jobs I do on customers' bikes, or on bikes that feature my lighting components:



Anton
southpawboston is offline  
Old 02-11-16, 12:50 PM
  #13  
gugie 
Dilberteur at large
 
gugie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Portland, OR
Posts: 9,035

Bikes: It's complicated.

Mentioned: 988 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3166 Post(s)
Liked 1,398 Times in 717 Posts
Originally Posted by Brian Mc View Post
I am currently in the negotiation stage for buying this bike, I do not own it yet. When I saw it, it was a little dusty. I'm a little confused about a quality paint job on a GS, but then to have rust spots on the chrome. I would tell you where the negotiations started, but I think people would consider me a cheapskate or foolish for not buying it outright. I simply don't need/want it that bad. If I don't get together with her, I'll ask if she'd like me to say so in this thread and forward an email for her.
I would purchase only with the intent to ride.
Hmmmmmm, 23.5 Competition, I already have one of those, repaint was by Ed Litton, no way I'll ever recover that dough! The paint was for my vanity, pure and simple, and makes the bike go faster. I can prove this. Many times when I go out riding with Big Red someone will see it and say "nice bike!" This makes me feel better about myself, and naturally pick up the pace. There have been a few times where someone pulled up alongside me and chatted me, surely because of the paint job. I consider this a competitive advantage as that person would have passed me.

But if you don't buy it, feel free to PM me...looking at your list of vintage bikes you already have, you clearly don't need another...don't ask my wife whether I meet that definition as well...

Post a pic of that 75 Raleigh Super Course II! That was the exact year I purchased when I was 15.
__________________
If someone tells you that you have enough bicycles and you don't need any more, stop talking to them. You don't need that kind of negativity in your life.
gugie is offline  
Old 02-11-16, 12:58 PM
  #14  
gugie 
Dilberteur at large
 
gugie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Portland, OR
Posts: 9,035

Bikes: It's complicated.

Mentioned: 988 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3166 Post(s)
Liked 1,398 Times in 717 Posts
Originally Posted by southpawboston View Post



Anton
Anton, I'll see your sticker and raise you one.

__________________
If someone tells you that you have enough bicycles and you don't need any more, stop talking to them. You don't need that kind of negativity in your life.
gugie is offline  
Old 02-11-16, 01:02 PM
  #15  
bikemig 
Senior Member
 
bikemig's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Middle Earth (aka IA)
Posts: 18,088

Bikes: A bunch of old bikes and a few new ones

Mentioned: 155 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4955 Post(s)
Liked 1,436 Times in 954 Posts
Originally Posted by Brian Mc View Post
I am currently in the negotiation stage for buying this bike, I do not own it yet. When I saw it, it was a little dusty. I'm a little confused about a quality paint job on a GS, but then to have rust spots on the chrome. I would tell you where the negotiations started, but I think people would consider me a cheapskate or foolish for not buying it outright. I simply don't need/want it that bad. If I don't get together with her, I'll ask if she'd like me to say so in this thread and forward an email for her.
I would purchase only with the intent to ride.
I agree. I looked at this bike when it was first posted and passed. I really really don't need another bike but I had exactly the same questions that you do esp. the rust on the fork. Bottom line is I agree with the others; value the bike as a rider rather than a collectible. The current price on CL is decent; if you are doing better than that, you are getting a reasonable deal.

Last edited by bikemig; 02-11-16 at 01:05 PM.
bikemig is offline  
Old 02-11-16, 01:34 PM
  #16  
Brian Mc
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: Central Iowa
Posts: 44

Bikes: 51 Lenton Tourist, 58 Raleigh Sports, 71 Carlton Critirium, 75 Raleigh Super Course II

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by bikemig View Post
I agree. I looked at this bike when it was first posted and passed. I really really don't need another bike but I had exactly the same questions that you do esp. the rust on the fork. Bottom line is I agree with the others; value the bike as a rider rather than a collectible. The current price on CL is decent; if you are doing better than that, you are getting a reasonable deal.
bikemig, time will tell.

gugie, here it is. I'm sorting out a reasonable chainring for the SA X-RF8(W) hub I've gon on it.
[h=3][/h]
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
20160131_115708.jpg (99.0 KB, 70 views)
File Type: jpg
20160131_115746.jpg (99.3 KB, 62 views)
Brian Mc is offline  
Old 02-11-16, 01:54 PM
  #17  
nlerner
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 14,098
Mentioned: 334 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2120 Post(s)
Liked 1,580 Times in 837 Posts
I think CycleArt's sticker is a bit excessive:

nlerner is offline  
Old 02-11-16, 01:58 PM
  #18  
bikemig 
Senior Member
 
bikemig's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Middle Earth (aka IA)
Posts: 18,088

Bikes: A bunch of old bikes and a few new ones

Mentioned: 155 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4955 Post(s)
Liked 1,436 Times in 954 Posts
Originally Posted by Brian Mc View Post
bikemig, time will tell.

gugie, here it is. I'm sorting out a reasonable chainring for the SA X-RF8(W) hub I've gon on it.

That's a cool bike; maybe we need to put together a C&V IA ride together one of these days.
bikemig is offline  
Old 02-11-16, 02:16 PM
  #19  
Brian Mc
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: Central Iowa
Posts: 44

Bikes: 51 Lenton Tourist, 58 Raleigh Sports, 71 Carlton Critirium, 75 Raleigh Super Course II

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Splendid idea! I know a couple other riders that would be up. Are you in Central Iowa?

I've done the Tweed Ride the last three years, much fun. My buddie Lugs from Bike World organizes it.

Here's my Tweed Steed:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
rsz_20151017_135122.jpg (98.1 KB, 43 views)
Brian Mc is offline  
Old 02-11-16, 02:21 PM
  #20  
bikemig 
Senior Member
 
bikemig's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Middle Earth (aka IA)
Posts: 18,088

Bikes: A bunch of old bikes and a few new ones

Mentioned: 155 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4955 Post(s)
Liked 1,436 Times in 954 Posts
Originally Posted by Brian Mc View Post
Splendid idea! I know a couple other riders that would be up. Are you in Central Iowa?

I've done the Tweed Ride the last three years, much fun. My buddie Lugs from Bike World organizes it.

Here's my Tweed Steed:
I'm in Des Moines which is pretty central, . I know of a few other local BF members who would be up for a local C&V ride particularly if it includes post ride hydration,

bikemig is offline  
Old 02-11-16, 02:26 PM
  #21  
Brian Mc
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: Central Iowa
Posts: 44

Bikes: 51 Lenton Tourist, 58 Raleigh Sports, 71 Carlton Critirium, 75 Raleigh Super Course II

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by bikemig View Post
I'm in Des Moines which is pretty central, . I know of a few other local BF members who would be up for a local C&V ride particularly if it includes post ride hydration,

IE Mullets, Confluence, 515 and so forth? Bring it ON!
Brian Mc is offline  
Old 02-11-16, 02:29 PM
  #22  
fender1
Senior Member
 
fender1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Berwyn PA
Posts: 6,078

Bikes: I hate bikes!

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 288 Post(s)
Liked 108 Times in 42 Posts
Originally Posted by gugie View Post
Hmmmmmm, 23.5 Competition, I already have one of those, repaint was by Ed Litton, no way I'll ever recover that dough! The paint was for my vanity, pure and simple, and makes the bike go faster. I can prove this. Many times when I go out riding with Big Red someone will see it and say "nice bike!" This makes me feel better about myself, and naturally pick up the pace. There have been a few times where someone pulled up alongside me and chatted me, surely because of the paint job. I consider this a competitive advantage as that person would have passed me.

But if you don't buy it, feel free to PM me...looking at your list of vintage bikes you already have, you clearly don't need another...don't ask my wife whether I meet that definition as well...

Post a pic of that 75 Raleigh Super Course II! That was the exact year I purchased when I was 15.
PM me. I have 3 frame sets soon to be on the block: 73' Pro (good chrome, needs paint 23.5" and has fender eyelets) 74 Competition (needs paint, chrome on fork only, none on the rear stays ok conditon, 23.5") and 75 Super Tourer 24.5" excellent paint & chrome. All are frame/fork and original headsets. Maybe a package deal?
fender1 is offline  
Old 02-11-16, 04:11 PM
  #23  
gugie 
Dilberteur at large
 
gugie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Portland, OR
Posts: 9,035

Bikes: It's complicated.

Mentioned: 988 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3166 Post(s)
Liked 1,398 Times in 717 Posts
Originally Posted by Brian Mc View Post
bikemig, time will tell.

gugie, here it is. I'm sorting out a reasonable chainring for the SA X-RF8(W) hub I've gon on it.

Nicely done! That paint job is in great shape.

Here's an old photo of mine from 1977:



I sold it around 1983. Been kicking myself ever since.
__________________
If someone tells you that you have enough bicycles and you don't need any more, stop talking to them. You don't need that kind of negativity in your life.
gugie is offline  
Old 02-11-16, 04:49 PM
  #24  
RobbieTunes
Banned
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 27,297
Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 378 Post(s)
Liked 1,370 Times in 884 Posts
Wouldn't matter to me at all. Tires have logos, frames have logos, components have logos. We'd be ticked if they didn't.
RobbieTunes is offline  
Old 02-11-16, 06:20 PM
  #25  
Brian Mc
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: Central Iowa
Posts: 44

Bikes: 51 Lenton Tourist, 58 Raleigh Sports, 71 Carlton Critirium, 75 Raleigh Super Course II

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by gugie View Post
Nicely done! That paint job is in great shape.

Here's an old photo of mine from 1977:



I sold it around 1983. Been kicking myself ever since.
I am wildly fond of the white bands on the red and to a lessor extent green mid 70's Super Course II's. Naturally I prefer the speed advantage of the red, but I found a marvelous example of a green one with Blumels, a lovely tan B17 and bar ends at a bargain price when my girlfriend was looking for a bike to give her son last summer. If I cold find a green mixte for her we'd be in hog heaven. Oh, wait. I'm in Iowa- this is hog heaven.
Brian Mc is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.