Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Hey guys, I found something

Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Hey guys, I found something

Old 05-17-19, 07:07 PM
  #1  
Tomsl923833
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: May 2017
Posts: 70
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Hey guys, I found something

I acquired another old Schwinn but, as per usual all the decals are fubar'ed. Maybe one of you historians can help..
It's probably a mid seventies but, I don't know for sure.... The serial # off the bottom reads SD402668 and, the number stamp on the badge reads 1024. It's a 12 speed 4130 chromemoloy frame. Any thoughts????
Tomsl923833 is offline  
Likes For Tomsl923833:
Old 05-17-19, 07:29 PM
  #2  
TenGrainBread 
Senior Member
 
TenGrainBread's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: Madison, WI
Posts: 1,608
Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 603 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 16 Times in 14 Posts
Your bike is probably a Japanese-made Schwinn assembled in either 1974 or 1984.

The headbadge number can be decoded as such: 102nd day (April 12) of year ending in 4. So April 12, 1974 or 1984.

There were various serial number formats over the years. Your format looks like the format S(month letter)(year number)(frame number) which was used for Japanese-made bikes. So SD402668 would be the 2668th bike assembled in April 1974 or 1984 in Japan. That's consistent with your headbadge number.

Post some pictures and it should be easy to tell if it is from the 70s or 80s. The model can be gleaned by looking at the catalogs once the decade is confirmed.

How do you know it's chrome-moly?

Last edited by TenGrainBread; 05-17-19 at 07:36 PM.
TenGrainBread is offline  
Old 05-18-19, 04:11 AM
  #3  
pastorbobnlnh 
Freewheel Medic
 
pastorbobnlnh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Ascending or Descending the NH Mountains NW of Concord!
Posts: 11,151

Bikes: Snazzy* Schwinns, Classy Cannondales, & a Lonely '83 Santana Tandem (* Ed.)

Mentioned: 82 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 444 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
A 12 speed most likely points to 1984--- unless someone in the past upgraded the original 5 speed freewheel on a 1974 to a 6 speed Ultra or narrow spaced Suntour, Atom or Regina. However, with that said, IIRC, the four digit date code stamped in head badge did not become universal until 1975-76? My money is on 1984. Take a look here at this Findley-Cooper Page.
__________________
Bob
Dreaming about riding in NH's summertime!

Visit my websites:
FreeWheelSpa.com orpastorbobnlnh.com
pastorbobnlnh is offline  
Old 05-18-19, 05:13 PM
  #4  
Tomsl923833
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: May 2017
Posts: 70
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by TenGrainBread View Post
Your bike is probably a Japanese-made Schwinn assembled in either 1974 or 1984.

The headbadge number can be decoded as such: 102nd day (April 12) of year ending in 4. So April 12, 1974 or 1984.

There were various serial number formats over the years. Your format looks like the format S(month letter)(year number)(frame number) which was used for Japanese-made bikes. So SD402668 would be the 2668th bike assembled in April 1974 or 1984 in Japan. That's consistent with your headbadge number.

Post some pictures and it should be easy to tell if it is from the 70s or 80s. The model can be gleaned by looking at the catalogs once the decade is confirmed.

How do you know it's chrome-moly?
This is probably going to sound stupid but, it has the decal. I know it can be faked but, it looks like it's been on there a long time. Someone could have changed the free wheel from 5 to 6. It's easy I've done it myself. I have a 79 that is very similar. The 2 things that stand out are 1) the spoke guard is metal. That makes me think it's older 2) the suicide shifter is screwed to the frame. It's got Suntour arx derailures and, wheels. That probably got added later. Idk why I just like the old Schwinns!!! That what I stumble across most of the time. It was a freebie!!! To me free is good!!!lol
Tomsl923833 is offline  
Old 05-18-19, 05:20 PM
  #5  
TenGrainBread 
Senior Member
 
TenGrainBread's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: Madison, WI
Posts: 1,608
Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 603 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 16 Times in 14 Posts
Originally Posted by Tomsl923833 View Post
This is probably going to sound stupid but, it has the decal. I know it can be faked but, it looks like it's been on there a long time. Someone could have changed the free wheel from 5 to 6. It's easy I've done it myself. I have a 79 that is very similar. The 2 things that stand out are 1) the spoke guard is metal. That makes me think it's older 2) the suicide shifter is screwed to the frame. It's got Suntour arx derailures and, wheels. That probably got added later. Idk why I just like the old Schwinns!!! That what I stumble across most of the time. It was a freebie!!! To me free is good!!!lol
​​​​​​Oh, I thought all the decals were gone per your original post.

Still post pictures if you can. Should be quick to ID it with pics.

You'll have no argument from me on picking up old Schwinns. I currently have 3: a '95 Super Stock (BMX), '86 High Sierra, and '73 Sports Tourer. And I used to have an '88 Paramount. They're all cool bikes!
TenGrainBread is offline  
Old 05-18-19, 08:28 PM
  #6  
Hudson308 
Mr. Anachronism
 
Hudson308's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: City of Lakes
Posts: 1,439

Bikes: fillet-brazed Chicago Schwinns, and some other stuff

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 307 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
'84 LeTour is my best guess. Shifters will be bolted to the TOP of the down tube, rather than the sides.
Note the bike on the right.
__________________
"If we don't change direction soon, we'll end up where we're going." -Irwin Corey

Last edited by Hudson308; 05-18-19 at 08:31 PM. Reason: added pic
Hudson308 is offline  
Old 05-18-19, 09:19 PM
  #7  
Tomsl923833
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: May 2017
Posts: 70
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Hudson308 View Post
'84 LeTour is my best guess. Shifters will be bolted to the TOP of the down tube, rather than the sides.
Note the bike on the right.
You're right it's an 84 probably a Le Tour by the looks of it. The remnates that are left of the decals are yellow. I wish I could post a pic!!! The site won't let me take one from my phone. The 74s have a much larger spoke guard.
Tomsl923833 is offline  
Old 05-19-19, 03:08 AM
  #8  
pastorbobnlnh 
Freewheel Medic
 
pastorbobnlnh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Ascending or Descending the NH Mountains NW of Concord!
Posts: 11,151

Bikes: Snazzy* Schwinns, Classy Cannondales, & a Lonely '83 Santana Tandem (* Ed.)

Mentioned: 82 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 444 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
The Suntour ARX derailleurs point most likely to either the Super LeTour or LeTour (and take a look at the next page). What's the brand of the freewheel?
__________________
Bob
Dreaming about riding in NH's summertime!

Visit my websites:
FreeWheelSpa.com orpastorbobnlnh.com
pastorbobnlnh is offline  
Old 05-19-19, 06:12 AM
  #9  
Hudson308 
Mr. Anachronism
 
Hudson308's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: City of Lakes
Posts: 1,439

Bikes: fillet-brazed Chicago Schwinns, and some other stuff

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 307 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
LeTour Luxe vs. Super Letour should be easy to sort, based on the crank (triple vs. double), and the paint color.
It likely isn't a '74. The only lugged frames that Schwinn sold in '74 were the LeTour, Voyageur and Paramount.
The 74 LeTour wasn't made of chrome moly, the Voyageur that year had chrome lugs, and the Paramount... well those are obvious and easy to spot with chrome Nervex lugs.
Your '84 LeTour tubing decal would look like this:
Pay no attention to the Schwinn downtube decal on the photo above. I removed the original yellow and white graphic and replaced it with the decal from about '79.
__________________
"If we don't change direction soon, we'll end up where we're going." -Irwin Corey

Last edited by Hudson308; 05-19-19 at 06:15 AM. Reason: decal clarification
Hudson308 is offline  
Old 05-19-19, 01:48 PM
  #10  
Bianchigirll 
Bianchi Goddess
 
Bianchigirll's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Fort Wayne, In
Posts: 25,541

Bikes: Too many to list here check my signature.

Mentioned: 91 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1219 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 9 Posts
It is too bad more people don't have access to cameras.
__________________
Bianchis '87 Sport SX, '90 Proto, '90 Campione del Fausto Giamondi Specialisma Italiano Mundo, '91 Boarala 'cross, '93 Project 3, '86 Volpe, '97 Ti Megatube, , '90 something Vento 603,

Others but still loved,; '80 RIGI, '80 Batavus Professional, '87 Cornelo, '09 Motobecane SOLD, '?? Jane Doe (still on the drawing board), '90ish Haro Escape
Bianchigirll is offline  
Old 05-19-19, 04:42 PM
  #11  
Fahrenheit531 
50th Anniversary Edition
 
Fahrenheit531's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Tucson, AZ
Posts: 3,328

Bikes: Schwinn Paramount ('71) and Volare ('78); Raleigh Competition GS ('79)

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 503 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by Hudson308 View Post
Pay no attention to the Schwinn downtube decal on the photo above. I removed the original yellow and white graphic and replaced it with the decal from about '79.
Hilarious. I did the exact same thing to an '84 Tempo that started with the same wretched yellow/white decals. Even chose the same replacement decals.
__________________
A race bike in any era is a highly personal choice that at its "best" balances the requirements of fit, weight, handling, durability and cost tempered by the willingness to toss it and oneself down the pavement at considerable speed. ~Bandera
Fahrenheit531 is offline  
Old 05-19-19, 07:54 PM
  #12  
Hudson308 
Mr. Anachronism
 
Hudson308's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: City of Lakes
Posts: 1,439

Bikes: fillet-brazed Chicago Schwinns, and some other stuff

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 307 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Fahrenheit531 View Post
Hilarious. I did the exact same thing to an '84 Tempo that started with the same wretched yellow/white decals. Even chose the same replacement decals.
HA!
__________________
"If we don't change direction soon, we'll end up where we're going." -Irwin Corey
Hudson308 is offline  
Old 05-19-19, 08:26 PM
  #13  
Tomsl923833
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: May 2017
Posts: 70
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Hudson308 View Post
LeTour Luxe vs. Super Letour should be easy to sort, based on the crank (triple vs. double), and the paint color.
It likely isn't a '74. The only lugged frames that Schwinn sold in '74 were the LeTour, Voyageur and Paramount.
The 74 LeTour wasn't made of chrome moly, the Voyageur that year had chrome lugs, and the Paramount... well those are obvious and easy to spot with chrome Nervex lugs.
Your '84 LeTour tubing decal would look like this:
Pay no attention to the Schwinn downtube decal on the photo above. I removed the original yellow and white graphic and replaced it with the decal from about '79.
That's the decal in the exact same spot. It's a double crank set Surgino BT. It's got Weiman 614 stainless wheels I didn't think to look for a brand name on the freewheel.
Tomsl923833 is offline  
Old 05-19-19, 08:31 PM
  #14  
Hudson308 
Mr. Anachronism
 
Hudson308's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: City of Lakes
Posts: 1,439

Bikes: fillet-brazed Chicago Schwinns, and some other stuff

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 307 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Yep. Sounds like an '84 Super LeTour like @pastorbobnlnh suggested.
__________________
"If we don't change direction soon, we'll end up where we're going." -Irwin Corey
Hudson308 is offline  

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.